Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:03 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,852 times

Advertisements

When I graduated college I considered moving to Richmond because it is lot cheaper and from a logical standpoint it made sense, if I had moved there I could have gotten my own place rather than splitting the rent in Fairfax with some of my friends but Richmond just didn't really work for me.

The food scene is super nice as well is downtown but it was too slow paced and it didn't feel as lively to me as NoVa. Also, it definitely seemed like a lot of the people there have been there their whole lives and they have their group of friends and aren't really interested in meeting new people.

Ultimately I don't think it's a bad place, it's just very different from NoVa/DC and I think if I did decide to move I would have had a hard time adjusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Different strokes, for different folks.

As much as I like Richmond and have a strong affinity for it, I could never go back and live there.

The food, cultural diversity, shopping, weekend activities and overall eclectic vibe and energy that NoVa/DC offer cannot be found in Richmond
Richmond has a better food scene than DC. The food scene in DC is pretty pathetic and lacks for a world class city. This is coming from someone who is born and raised in DC, although I agree with everything else.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Richmond has a better food scene than DC. The food scene in DC is pretty pathetic and lacks for a world class city. This is coming from someone who is born and raised in DC, although I agree with everything else.
Strongly disagree. Richmond seems like it's really great because it's small and compact so you don't feel overwhelmed. That's not a dig on Richmond. DC is much larger and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. If you don't feel like dining in DC then you can find something in NOVA or Maryland including a wide range of international cuisines. A lot of the times, they're not located in upscale locations with fancy decor or local publications writing about them every week.

In my time being in DC, there is nothing here that I can't find in Richmond. However, there's a lot in Richmond that I can't find in DC.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:47 PM

83 posts, read 130,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Strongly disagree. Richmond seems like it's really great because it's small and compact so you don't feel overwhelmed. That's not a dig on Richmond. DC is much larger and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. If you don't feel like dining in DC then you can find something in NOVA or Maryland including a wide range of international cuisines. A lot of the times, they're not located in upscale locations with fancy decor or local publications writing about them every week.

In my time being in DC, there is nothing here that I can't find in Richmond. However, there's a lot in Richmond that I can't find in DC.
What is in Richmond that you can't find in DC?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,779,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
I live in NoVa currently, but I know Richmond pretty well as my girlfriend is a native (and in fact I'm looking to make the move down there pretty soon). A few things I've noticed:

Pros:
- Compared to DC/NoVa, the cost of living in RVA is ridiculously low. For example, I had a friend who used to live in these apartments. Their cheapest 1 BRs are currently going for around 1000/month for a modern luxury apartment with wood floors, exposed ductwork, brick walls, and modern appliances and amenities. Plus you're a few blocks away from Shockoe Bottom, which is one of the younger party areas of Richmond with bars and restaurants. In DC 1000/month gets you a room in a group house or shared apartment in a mediocre apartment complex.
- Richmond punches way above its weight when it comes to the food scene. Some of my personal favorite restaurants in town are Mamma Zu, Max's on Broad, Comfort, and Kuba Kuba. Plus there are some critical foodie darlings like the Roosevelt, Sub Rosa Bakery, and Rappahannock. It's really astounding how many great restaurants the city has compared to its size.
- The beer scene is getting pretty good too. Some local breweries include Hardywood (people go NUTS for their Gingerbread Stout around this time every year), Strangeways, and Legend. RVA is also going to be the location of Stone Brewing Co.'s east coast operations, so that's a big plus as well.
- This could be a pro or a con depending on your personality (personally I like it), but Richmond is just way weirder than straight-laced DC. Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) has its main campus located downtown, and its art school attracts a lot of creative, artistic types. This has created a sort of hipster hub in the downtown area with art galleries, performance spaces, coffee shops, real dive bars etc. H Street is the closest DC equivalent I can come up with for a lot of the cool areas of Richmond.

Cons:
- The job market isn't nearly as strong as DC's, and it tends to be focused in a few core industries (healthcare, banking, insurance etc.) If you're currently doing "DC-type" jobs (policy, lobbying, federal contracting etc.) you may have a hard time finding a job that fits your skill set. Average salaries are also, of course lower than DC, although this may be balanced out by the lower cost of living.
- You are going to be very, very disappointed with the state of public transportation in Richmond. There is no subway/metrorail, no lightrail, no streetcars - all mass transit is done by bus. You'll need a car to go out to the suburbs where a lot of the retail/grocery stores are at. I've never used GRTC, so I can't personally comment on its quality, but my girlfriend is not particularly impressed with it and doesn't think it's particularly reliable. With that said, there should be a semi-bus rapid transit system coming in a few years that will run in mostly dedicated lanes and will run along the length of the city, so there are at least improvements on the way.
- Richmond can't compete with all of DC's cultural amenities. DC has the world-class Smithsonian museums and zoo (most of which are free to visit), cultural events at all of the international embassies, the Kennedy Center, big name artists performing at the 9:30 Club and the Black Cat, teams for all four major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL) plus Major League Soccer. That's on top of all of the unique things that happen in the Nation's Capital (4th of July on the Mall, inaugurations, protests, events like the recent "Concert for Valor" etc.) This is by far the biggest thing I think I'd miss about living in DC.
- Richmond is a much, much smaller city than DC, population-wise. In general I've found that the people are much friendlier and outgoing than in DC, which is good, but it also feels like a much smaller pond compared to all of the people coming and going from all over the world in DC. The pace of life is also a lot slower and more laid-back, which will be a positive to a lot of people, but may be a bit of a shock to the stereotypical "Type A" DC person.

In general though I think Richmond is a great city, and I think it's poised for a lot of growth in the future. The way I see it, you're only 2.5-3 hours away from DC by train, and 2 hours by car (if, and it's a big if, traffic is good). You can still easily do weekends in DC while living in RVA, if you find something that Richmond lacks.
This is pretty good. I'd add life is in general a lot easier in Richmond. Sounds like a minor thing, but easy grows on you

And around half of Richmond used to live in DC at some point... we know what its like. You'll find people who move here from DC don't move back to DC, which says something.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,361,304 times
Quote:

With due respect, this is rather inaccurate and misleading. If you compare DC proper to Richmond proper, the former is a winner hands-down. Richmond simply does not offer the same range of low and mid budget to high-end eateries that you find in DC, and all the different cuisines too. Then, if you compare the DC metro area as an aggregate to the Greater Richmond area, when it comes to ethnic cuisine… the latter totally pales in comparison.
I will agree that Richmond has some excellent Indian food and Vietnamese food/pho joints, but again… cannot be compared to the DC area.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:23 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,564,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
Hi,

I live in DC right now and I'm finding it pretty unaffordable for a 20 something year old with a normal income. I personally don't enjoy living with strangers from craigslist and studios are expensive as ***** in DC.

I'm interested in exploring Richmond as an urban alternative. How would you all compare it to DC? In my mind I imagine it as somewhat similar to the old DC (pre hyper-gentrification, whole foods and luxury condos). Is this accurate?

Happy thanksgiving!
The DC area is on a different level than RVA...Think Philadephia and it's relationship to Wilmington. DC is the principal city in the area and it shows. RVA is more relaxed than DC and has way less people but it's a nice change of pace. Some of the RVA neighborhoods look similar to DC though.

Quote:
Different strokes, for different folks.

As much as I like Richmond and have a strong affinity for it, I could never go back and live there.

The food, cultural diversity, shopping, weekend activities and overall eclectic vibe and energy that NoVa/DC offer cannot be found in Richmond
I agree. That's what happens when you go from major city to mid-sized. Nothing wrong with it though.

Quote:
Not at all, LOL. DC kills RVA in everything but COL. As the major city, it's a given.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
This is pretty good. I'd add life is in general a lot easier in Richmond. Sounds like a minor thing, but easy grows on you

And around half of Richmond used to live in DC at some point... we know what its like. You'll find people who move here from DC don't move back to DC, which says something.

This is highly innacurate and hysterical. The DC white natives flooded to the DC area suburbs and most of the native blacks stayed until they were priced out, please inform yourself you look uninformed.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,779,546 times
Quote:
With due respect, this is rather inaccurate and misleading. If you compare DC proper to Richmond proper, the former is a winner hands-down. Richmond simply does not offer the same range of low and mid budget to high-end eateries that you find in DC, and all the different cuisines too. Then, if you compare the DC metro area as an aggregate to the Greater Richmond area, when it comes to ethnic cuisine… the latter totally pales in comparison.
I will agree that Richmond has some excellent Indian food and Vietnamese food/pho joints, but again… cannot be compared to the DC area.
I don't agree, especially on the low and mid budget range. You've got more of an argument on the high end, but Richmond's excellent restaurants are dirt cheap compared to DCs.

So what in DC compares to Peter changs? The Washington post restaurant critic claims nothing... And in fact, loves the Richmond food scene in general...

Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,361,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I don't agree, especially on the low and mid budget range. You've got more of an argument on the high end, but Richmond's excellent restaurants are dirt cheap compared to DCs.

So what in DC compares to Peter changs? The Washington post restaurant critic claims nothing... And in fact, loves the Richmond food scene in general...
Within DC itself.... Mei Wah, Great Wall Szechuan House and Sichuan Pavilion..although I will admit that within DC itself the ethnic food scene is not very good, the exception ofcourse being Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine...some of the best in the country.

Since Peter Changs is in Glen Allen, I will factor in the close-in DC suburbs.

Falls Church: Hong Kong Palace, Hong Kong Pearl, Mark's Duck House, Peking Gourmet Inn.

Chantilly: 88 China. Probably some of the best Sichuan food I have had anywhere in the East Coast.

Rockville: Sichuan Jin River, Bob's Noodle House, Bob's Shanghai, only to name a few.. Rockville's Chinese offerings are par none.

Silver Spring: Oriental East.

And this is just Chinese food. Name any kind of cuisine, and of any budget range, and I can assure you that the NoVA/DC region has Richmond beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond