Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:17 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,513,292 times

Advertisements

Only asking because I'm noticing A TON of VA license plates around the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) region of North Carolina. The Triangle is roughly an hour south of the VA border and two and a half hours from Richmond, but is it common for Virginians around Richmond to visit the Triangle? Maybe all the license plates I'm seeing are from remote counties (Halifax, Mecklenburg) closest to the Triangle. Just curious, cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:00 PM

418 posts, read 1,052,570 times
I can only answer for my circle of friends and I'd say No. I've never heard it mentioned as a destination for a trip or visit. Outer Banks, Ashville, Charlotte - yes.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,902,516 times
I think ellieb128 hit the nail on the head. I've never had a reason to go to the Triangle. For urban experiences, I'd go north. For mountains, I'd go West. For both, I'd go to Asheville. For beaches, the Outer Banks or Eastern Shore.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 09-16-2014 at 07:08 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 PM

797 posts, read 1,436,798 times
To be honest the only time I go to NC for anything is in passing or a few family members, I usually head east to HR or north to DC

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,698,387 times
Like the others, I don't typically go south.

The Triangle area is nice enough but the focus in Richmond does seem to be northern. Commerce and recreation just doesn't seem to cross the vast forest between Petersburg and Raliegh. In the time it takes to get to Raliegh, one could go to Baltimore or DC (thus people go to Baltimore and DC). Family ties take us east and west (and to NoVa).

I'd suspect that the plates you are seeing come from folks living around Danville and Emporia (cities along the border). Your amenities are much nicer (much, much more) than anything around those parts. They may be seeking out your goods and services. I imagine that quite a few live in that part of the state and work in NC too.

If it is any consultation, I've noticed more NC plates around Richmond too. Maybe there is an exchange going on, but between people that don't frequent this site.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Like the others, I don't typically go south.

The Triangle area is nice enough but the focus in Richmond does seem to be northern. Commerce and recreation just doesn't seem to cross the vast forest between Petersburg and Raliegh. In the time it takes to get to Raliegh, one could go to Baltimore or DC (thus people go to Baltimore and DC). Family ties take us east and west (and to NoVa).

I'd suspect that the plates you are seeing come from folks living around Danville and Emporia (cities along the border). Your amenities are much nicer (much, much more) than anything around those parts. They may be seeking out your goods and services. I imagine that quite a few live in that part of the state and work in NC too.

If it is any consultation, I've noticed more NC plates around Richmond too. Maybe there is an exchange going on, but between people that don't frequent this site.
I was thinking they were people from the counties of Halifax, Mecklenburg, Charlotte, Lunenburg, and possibly Pittsylvania and Brunswick counties. If you look at a map, this makes sense, and you're right that this area of VA is quite remote. I do a lot of traveling around the Triad area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem area) and it's the exact same story, just as many VA license plates. However, this definitely makes more sense. Danville and Martinsville are right on the state line north of this area, so not far at all. I imagine many of these Virginians work in the Triad and travel down quite frequently. In fact, Danville and Martinsville are closer to Charlotte than Richmond. Danville could also go towards the Triangle like you mentioned, not too terribly far from Durham. 1-85 between Petersburg and Durham is super remote, more so on the Virginia side. Every time I drive on it, I expect it to be a little more crowded but that's not usually the case. So I'm wondering why I see all these VA license plates around the Triangle! Some of them could possibly be college students, but I'm no expert. Interesting that it's kind of the same story with the NC license plates in Richmond!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 AM

89 posts, read 121,028 times
I live in Norfolk and the main reason you probably see so many VA license plates would be from either students or those traveling from southern Virginia cities. I know many students who go to NCAT in Greensboro and they travel back to HR almost every other weekend. There really isn't any special attractions that would make Virginians go to either the Triad or the Triangle unless it is business oriented or college related. Here in Norfolk, I see many NC plates (probably from OBX) but I have seen almost every state's license plates here in HR mainly from the military.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,318,820 times
That's interesting that Raleigh doesn't attract Richmonders. It makes sense. I would think that everything Raleigh might have, would already exist in Richmond?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,902,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's interesting that Raleigh doesn't attract Richmonders. It makes sense. I would think that everything Raleigh might have, would already exist in Richmond?
Hard to say without being more specific. At a very very high level that's probably true.

I think Richmond has better urban amenities due to it being more urban. That's why I never go to Raleigh. It doesn't have a strong urban core, beaches or mountains. That's not to say it's not a great city that others prefer over Richmond.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 09-17-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 PM

The Triangle is largely suburban, the population of this area was quite low until the rise of RTP which brought many outside transplants. For the most part, it doesn't have the historic, urban vibe you'd find in Richmond. Slightly more populated, lot's of suburban sprawl. Not too close to the beach or mountains, just a metro nestled in the Upper NC Piedmont. I guess with UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, and Duke in the vicinity, the license plates could be students if it's pretty common for many Virginians to attend school out of state but NC would make sense since it's so close. Unless you're a huge college basketball fan, I'm sure the Triangle has everything you'd find in Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond