Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,808 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Midlothian to a brand new home in RounTrey in about 3 weeks.

I called Comcast to set up an installation time..... (we currently have Cable service in Northern Va and like it) After 6 or 7 tortorous phone calls to various numbers that for Comcast that I found online, I was told by a local Comcast rep that my house HAD NO SERVICE and since they could not find my new house on their map, I was instructed to take my closing documents with proof that YES in fact there was a dwelling at that address, and I was the owner, to the local Comcast store after my closing to schedule for service.

WHAT?!?!?!?!? Is it 1980 again?

I called Verizon, got a rep the first try, spent about 25. setting up a time and selecting service for my new account. Verizon found my new home on their map immediately.

So comments and suggestions here are welcome. I wanted to stay with Cable, but sheesh, they sound like they are behind the times in the Richmond Metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:13 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Comcast occupies one of the 7 rings of hell (lol), go with FIOS and you won't be disappointed. After FIOS came in my neighborhood 4 years ago no one is left using Comcast.

Good Luck

Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,535 times
I'd go with Comcast. I say this as both a former Comcast Installation Contractor as well as a former FiOS Construction contractor. To address the first thing (Verizon brainwashing) Fios is ABSOLUTELY Cable, the first marketing scam is comparing it to "Cable" sorry, their BOTH cable. Both system have Fiber Networks, yup Comcast started using fiber before FiOS even existed, both FiOS and Comcast's current system (X1) are using IPTV technology, FiOS runs fiber to their ONT (Box they put on your house) then it goes to coax, same as Comcast. Comcast has more channels, Comcast has WAY more on demand, they don't throttle your internet if you use it to much (better believe VZ does) but will deny it and they still nickel and dime phone capabilities. I had FiOS for a while before X1 launched in Richmond and the instant it launched here I dumped it and very glad I did. FiOS has also consistently been behind the curve with their equipment. Up until last year they were still using the old Motorola equipment that Cable Co's stopped using years ago. Also better hope FiOS doesn't crap out on you, you will WAIT and WAIT and WAIT! They DO have better customer service than Comcast but that doesn't help you when your crap doesn't work. Comcast's customer service in this area (it's regional) is beyond terrible, but you can get somebody out much quicker, many times next day. The last year I was doing Comcast work at least half my jobs everyday was converting people back over from FiOS. With all that said FiOS is NOT a bad system, it's just not as good as Comcast's X1.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,808 times
snatale1 - I am sending you a private message regarding fios...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: