Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 9,351 times

Advertisements

Are there any shops in RVA that will inspect your car and not try to recoup the loss in labor of doing an inspection by suggesting fixes whose requirements to pass the inspection are at the least questionable?

It seems like you can't trust any shops, because they all know that you are not going through the trouble to fight the inspection results with the state.

I know there must be some reputable inspection stations out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 AM

418 posts, read 1,049,320 times
I've taken my car to the Allen Tire in Midlothian Village for years. Often it is just the inspection sticker needed, they have always seemed very honest.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:32 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,698,636 times
The Midas in Short Pump is awesome. I had them install some tires which I ordered online and I think I'm switching over to them from my Honda mechanic (who I really like). At one point they were doing inspections for free if you donated $10 to Feed More. They seem very honest to me.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:54 PM

It was actually my experience at the Short Pump Midas that prompted my post. True; they are extremely friendly and I commend them for their support of good causes. I had heard a lot of good things about them. During my last inspection they failed my car however on a wheel cylinder that didnt appear to be bad to me. They called me and told me that they had the car up on the bridge and it would be able to take care of it right away and pass the car. They also suggested I let them do the other side as well since it would probably go bad too and "these things should be replaced in pairs". They quoted me around $600 for both sides.

I did it myself; the repair is not hard if you know what you are doing. I spent $15 on a new wheel cylinder and put it on the car in less than an hour. I had them re inspect the car and this time it passed. I am very fortunate: I have replaced many brakes in my life. I realize that countless others would have shrugged their shoulders and had the repairs done on the spot.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:10 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,698,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiebers View Post
It was actually my experience at the Short Pump Midas that prompted my post. True; they are extremely friendly and I commend them for their support of good causes. I had heard a lot of good things about them. During my last inspection they failed my car however on a wheel cylinder that didnt appear to be bad to me. They called me and told me that they had the car up on the bridge and it would be able to take care of it right away and pass the car. They also suggested I let them do the other side as well since it would probably go bad too and "these things should be replaced in pairs". They quoted me around $600 for both sides.

I did it myself; the repair is not hard if you know what you are doing. I spent $15 on a new wheel cylinder and put it on the car in less than an hour. I had them re inspect the car and this time it passed. I am very fortunate: I have replaced many brakes in my life. I realize that countless others would have shrugged their shoulders and had the repairs done on the spot.
Huh. After I used them for my tires they told me my brake rotors were warped and needed to be resurfaced. I was going to take them to Wallace (Honda mechanic) but they don't have a machine to do it. I called West Broad Honda and they needed it all day and I think they quoted me $400. Midas did it for < $150. That's my only experience but they seemed friendly and have a ton of repeat business. Thanks for sharing your experience. I know very little about cars beyond what I google

Old 05-09-2015, 08:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
In the FWE, most of the small shops have gone out of business. The chains suggest things to be repaired that are not on the inspection list and most of the dealerships have changed hands and also suggest things not on the list. I actually had McGeorge Toyota try to hit me up for air filters during the inspection process. In my experience I go to dealerships that don't sell my type of car and are in a different county.

fwiw
Virginia State Police - Safety Division

Old 05-09-2015, 10:42 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
AC Tire is Ashland is fair on their inspections I have used them for years.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:06 AM

Followed VA Yankees advice and got my car inspected at AC Tire in Ashland. They have my business now. Johnny was great to deal with and did not try to sell me on any unneeded repairs. Nice to know there are still shops out there that take pride in helping you without trying to rob you.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:07 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Glad it turned out good for you, he's fair and I trust him. For me working in Ashland it's very convenient to drop the car off in the morning and have a coworker pick me up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: