Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,484 times

Advertisements

Im of Puerto Rican ancestry (I look mixed white/black a lil closer to white lookin , for those of u who don't know how most us ricans look) born and raised mainly here in Brooklyn NYC. My wife is of African American descent born and raised in the North Florida panhandle region close to southeastern Alabama, in the Marianna area. She is extra small-town southern, while im a northeast city guy. We met acouple years ago here in NY, after she moved out here. We are a young couple in our 20s, expecting our first child. I grew up in East NewYork/ Brownsville sections of Brooklyn, which is obviously a whole lot more urban then the rural areas of Marianna/ bonifay areas where my wife is from, but we both grew-up in "less-then desirable" areas. I DO NOT wana raise my family in the hood, had enough of all that, tryna start fresh. She don't wana go back to Florida nor do I have any interest in living there, and none of us wana stay in Newyork. I got family in Newyork, and Philadelphia, and she got family in north Florida, and portions of Alabama and Georgia, however proximity to family is not a factor. I like Virginia's unique cultural mix of Northeast and South, not too suburban sprawl lookin like other southern states and not too dense like further north, good balance. I have a high interest in the Richmond area, but open to the Hampton roads as well, however not Nova which still feels like the Northeast to me. I plan to make the move after we both finish college and make acouple visits to the area. Jobs are already secured. We want to start off in a neighborhood that safer then your average low-income neighborhood, but less expensive then your average middle-class neighborhood (something between lower-class and middle-class, like a "working-class" neighborhood) ,and also a somewhat diverse neighborhood, i dont wana be the only rican in the neighborhood.
Is their any neighborhoods like this in the Richmond area?
Also , between Henrico and Chesterfield counties, which are these are more safer and diverse, and more suitable for a middle class black/hispanic family? I plan to buy a home later in the area later on life and would just like to know in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,426,657 times
First of all, Congratulation on the baby, as well as the common sense to get the hell out of the Northeast. It's no place to live without or especially WITH a child! There are Puerto Ricans here, but the locals probably think their all Mexicans. There is a huge Mexican population in the metro area, me and my wife are from Boston, we're Italian and people think we're Mexican half the time so they'll show you what your in for. I personally say Western Henrico is better but the Midlothian neighborhood of Chesterfield is nice as well. Don't worry about being in a mixed relationship or acceptance or anything like that. This area has everybody in it. There is a HUGE amount of Northeast transplants in Western Henrico so no worries of culture shock. When we first moved here we lived in Short Pump which is VERY nice! We lived in a luxury apt complex 1000sf 2 full bathrooms and parking I was told it was "overpriced" at $1000/mo! HAH! This place is awesome man you'll be very happy here. Henrico schools are also very high end. About 2 yrs ago we bought a house in Glen Allen which is still Henrico for less than a condo at home, you really can't beat it here. The only thing to keep in mind when searching here is places for whatever reason will have the address Richmond, VA when they are NOT in Richmond! So ask if your not sure. There are tons of places that will be in Henrico or Chesterfield using Richmond as a mailing address. Makes it a little tricky. Best thing to do is check on the post office site to run the ZIP code to see where it actually is. Hampton roads has some decent area's but a lot more urban and run down as a whole.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 PM

218 posts, read 343,113 times
Not from Richmond, however I have lived and worked there briefly and know about the area. I do agree with the previous poster as Glen Allen & Midlothian are great neighborhoods, however they are very pricey and barely diverse, both these areas are about 80% white which is not really diverse. Bon-air which is between these areas, is old money territory, generational wealthy families. Henrico is a bit more segregated, with the western portion being mostly white with some Asians springkled in, though there is some Northeasterns in the area, as being a Hispanic from a urban Northeast ghetto moving into a place filled with affluent whites from the Northeast, there still will be an culture shock. Though, there are Puerto Ricans here, nearly as many as there is Mexicans, however many people will somehow ignorantly think your Mexican, he is definitely right about that. Though, Hispanics tend to be scattered in the area, a slightly higher proportion live in areas south of the James river then north of it. So, I would suggest the eastern half of Chesterfield county as ya best bet, particularly east of Hull street road and north of veterans memorial highway. As this area is diverse with lots of blacks whites and hispanics, and it is middle class not poor like Southside or extremely wealthy like Bon-air or Midlothian. Just stay out the Southside ..goodluck

Old 04-08-2015, 10:50 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,780,238 times
You'll fit in fine, surprising number of Puerto Ricans from NYC here. And people from nyc in general, who moved for the same reasons. Virginia also has the most mixed race marriages in the US per a stat I saw today.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,495 times
As a member of a multiracial family who has lived in both Richmond and now lives in Chesapeake; I prefer Chesapeake to Richmond, the number of military families in Chesapeake makes this an amazing melting pot! Ive never had anyone ask me in Hampton Roads if I was my daughters' "nanny" ?. I'm AA, my husband is Caucasian/Hispanic. Our daughter is fair skinned. She attended K and 1st grade in Chesterfield country where she was quite the novelty.Here she's just another multiracial teen

Old 05-20-2015, 05:33 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,701,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynj View Post
As a member of a multiracial family who has lived in both Richmond and now lives in Chesapeake; I prefer Chesapeake to Richmond, the number of military families in Chesapeake makes this an amazing melting pot! Ive never had anyone ask me in Hampton Roads if I was my daughters' "nanny" ?. I'm AA, my husband is Caucasian/Hispanic. Our daughter is fair skinned. She attended K and 1st grade in Chesterfield country where she was quite the novelty.Here she's just another multiracial teen
I doubt that would have happened in Henrico. Henrico is much more diverse than Chesterfield. My kids are biracial (black and white) and it's a none issue IMO.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:42 AM

218 posts, read 343,113 times
To OP, you can also try the Tri-Cities area & Prince George county to the south, which is often seen as an extension of the Richmond region. It is almost as diverse as Richmond, Henrico, and Chesterfield, largely because of its proximity to Richmond and the areas military presence as well. You'll probably find some Puerto Ricans in the area, as many Puerto Ricans are known to be in the military, also some Ricans moving to Richmond region from PR or the northeast, may prefer the area over Richmond, Henrico, or Chesterfield. So ill doubt you'll have much trouble finding other Puerto Ricans.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:34 PM

5,844 posts, read 5,649,476 times
I have a hard time believing someone had a hard time as an interracial family in Rich, especially Chesterfield...

Far as the Tri-Cities go, Prince George is by far the most multicultural, followed by Hopewell. A girl I grew up with has been married to a PR guy from the Bronx for like 5 years, they live in Hopewell and have two children. The only areas of the Tri-Cities where an interracial relationship would look out of place is in the furthest reaches of Prince George (towards Surry) or Dinwiddie. The actual unincorporated area of Prince George is extremely diverse. Also, there has always been a sizable Puerto Rican community in Hopewell and Prince George. Petersburg too, but to a lesser extent...

All that said, if you can live in Richmond, do so. Quality of life is gonna be better. For my money, though, Chesterfield is the most diverse area in the metro, and if diversity is your selling point, I'd definitely look into Chester, or Chesterfield in general...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond