Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 04:55 PM

52 posts, read 67,835 times

Advertisements

Looks like I will have a good job offer for Richmond so I am considering a huge cross country move from DFW, Texas and its millions of people to a much smaller city. I have visited Richmond before (just for a day though) and read a lot about it, I think it will have enough attractiveness for me. They want me as soon as possible though, and I'm not sure how long to tell them. Anyone with experience doing this sort of thing who can help me ballpark a number of weeks to move? I have a 1400 sqft house I have lived in for 13 years and am somewhat of a packrat. I am guessing 2 months but I don't know.

Also, I need suggestions for neighborhoods (rental). I know The Fan is good, Museum District. I have heard about Church Hill too but I don't know a lot. I am almost 40, single, no kids, but I have 2 little dogs and 1 cat so I am restricted to places that allow both kinds of pets, and I want at least a small yard so NO APARTMENTS which I think rules out the Fan. I have seen some houses listed in Jackson Ward and Manchester (I know those places are very different), what are those like? I want a neighborhood that is safe to walk my dogs, even in the evening, and not too loud (read: not a party neighborhood). As I said, can't be in an apartment building, prefer a single family home though would consider a town home with a courtyard at least where my dogs can run around. And most importantly safe for a single woman. And I really, really don't want to be in the suburbs! What neighborhoods are likely to have that type of place? I would be renting at first, for a year I suppose as the least amount of time allowed. Eventually I would buy but not right away of course. Oh and what is a good rent for those safe neighborhoods? I have no idea what to pay for rent, I think in my town $1000 is reasonable but I don't see much in that range up there, it looks more like $1500 at least which seems high to me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,878 times
you need to look at Bellevue or Westover Hills. Mostly single family but older homes on smaller lots. Both are walkable neighborhoods with sidewalks.

Bellevue Neighborhood
https://www.facebook.com/Bellevue.Richmond

Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 PM

Thanks for info, looked on Craigslist and there are absolutely zero rentals in Bellevue neighborhood right now. I found 1 in Westover Hills but it's not available till September. Any info on Manchester? Is that a good neighborhood or not? Thanks again.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:31 AM

419 posts, read 904,165 times
Look at forest hill terrace, areas near pony pasture (not sure of the neighborhood name), basically anywhere north of Forest hill Ave to Huguenot has homes of the type you might like. big issue is going to be finding a rental.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:05 PM

Yeah haven't seen much around that area. What about west of 195 towards University of Richmond? Malvern Gardens it seems to be called. Also Libbie/Grove area. Is that a good area? I saw a couple of listings there.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,782,891 times
Lots of places will fit your needs in fan museum and Byrd park. But not at $1,000 a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: