Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 815 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job that would relocate my family of four (with one onfant, one toddler) from NN to Richmond. We would be selling our house here and buying a new one in or around the city....I grew up in hampton roads so I have a general idea of the flavor of the city and it's outlying areas, but would like some help narrowing down where we should focus our house hunting. Our wish list:

-good elementary and middle schools. Less concerned about high schools
-commute under 30 min to the carytown area (the place where I would work is btwn carytown and the river)
-decent sized lot and yard. We live on a 0.2 acre lot now and I couldn't imagine going any smaller. I am not a city girl so I'm perfectly fine being in a more rural area.
-availability of 2ba/3+bdrm in the 170-215k range, at least 1500sqft. Older houses are fine as long as they are in good repair, I like their charm
-friendly neighborhoods with similar family demographics

What we do not need:
-areas like shortpump...lots of generic big box stuff
-urban setting...I don't mind working in an urban area, but I want mature trees in my yard, nice gardens to look at, etc. Doesn't have to be high end landscaping
-availability to night life. We have two young kids. At this point in our lives we'd just like some peace and quiet.
-area that is high in crime or racial tension
-hoa

Also, how does the cost of living compare to areas like newport news and williamsburg?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond