Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 11,348 times

Advertisements

What's the general consensus between these school districts? I've found a lot of good information about how great the Far West End schools are, but what about Hanover county? Are they any good? How do they compare to Henrico?

We are contemplating a move to Richmond with two young children. We want to buy a house based on a good neighborhood with good public schools for them.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Smile Go with Hanover!

Hello! Having gone to henrico schools from k-12th grade I have to say Henrico Co. schools have changed A lot over the years. During my 9th grade year (2001) Henrico began their "lap top iniative" for high schoolers I have to say the program was nothing but a headache for me.. Always breaking down.. ect. This program has since been extended for Middle school as well. Henrico is a bigger system and the west end schools are great.. But I would suggest Hanover personally. Their class sizes are smaller and they dont have the whole lap top thing to deal with. I would suggest the Hanover high school & Oak knoll middle school district. Plus the west end is over priced and over crowded. I honestly think you would be much happier in Hanover county. If you need any more information just let me know!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carose View Post
What's the general consensus between these school districts? I've found a lot of good information about how great the Far West End schools are, but what about Hanover county? Are they any good? How do they compare to Henrico?

We are contemplating a move to Richmond with two young children. We want to buy a house based on a good neighborhood with good public schools for them.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:43 PM
C-4

6 posts, read 25,569 times
Go with Hanover! henrico is full of young kids thinking there in gangs and its slowly spreading out to hanover and other counties but atleast in hanover you have time.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
Hanover and Henrico both have very good school systems.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Both systems are good. Both my kids graduated from Tucker in Henrico and were more than ready for college. Use some of the web sites to see how the schools rate but follow up with a visit. THe numbers that look good on paper will never match your own impressions of the schools.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:57 AM

15 posts, read 82,413 times
Go with Henrico! While I would recommend staying in the West End (Freeman, Godwin, Deep Run) I would definitely say that these schools are much better than schools in Hanover! While the Hanover County Schools are safe, they do not provide students with the same technology or opportunities that students in the Henrico County Schools are given. It isn't just the schools that you will be choosing, it is where you will be living! and the two counties are very different! The out of school extra curriculars, neighborhood activities, shops, events, and general convenience of location in Henrico is better.

Ultimately it depends on what you prefer. I know it sounds like I am completely trashing Hanover, when in reality it is very nice. However, I was given the choice between potentially attending the new Hanover High School and Freeman High School, I chose Freeman and I know I made the right decision.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 19,264 times
My vote is absolutely with Henrico--Freeman, Deep Run, Tucker, Godwin (although Godwin seems particularly overcrowded.) Don't let some of the complaints about the laptop initiative get you worried--there have been some slight bumps in the road with it, as you can imagine with such a major project, but it's really an amazing opportunity. Top Henrico schools are a world more sophisticated than either Hanover or Chesterfield. In fact, I was lured to Chesterfield because of cheaper home prices, and am going back to Henrico as my kids are getting to school age...)

Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 54,526 times
I am very happy with the school in Henrico and the lap top program is now very successful. With a daughter in Tuckahoe and a son at Ridge I can say that the schools are excellent. Gangs (clicks)are everywhere if you look for them. we haven't had any such problems here.

Check out schoolmatters.com and go see the areas in person.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 25,197 times
Each one definitely has its pros and cons. It all depends on what you're looking for primarily in terms of area. You can't really go wrong with any of the West End schools or the new Hanover High School. The only real difference is that Hanover has still held out on a lot of development, while the West End is getting real overcrowded. If you don't want to be in a busy area, don't move to the west end because it's getting worse every single day. Personally, I would prefer Hanover, because I've lived in the West End almost my whole life and have watched it change into what it has become, and I honestly don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: