Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM

39 posts, read 72,004 times

Advertisements

At present contemplating a job offer in Lynchburg. Based on everything I have read, Lynchburg is too quiet and conservative for a lot of tastes (single with no children), so I wouldn't mind living closer to a larger area and making a reasonable commute. Possibly from Richmond?

Any insight into towns closer to eastern viriginia would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubosa View Post
At present contemplating a job offer in Lynchburg. Based on everything I have read, Lynchburg is too quiet and conservative for a lot of tastes (single with no children), so I wouldn't mind living closer to a larger area and making a reasonable commute. Possibly from Richmond?

Any insight into towns closer to eastern viriginia would be helpful
I find it hard to believe that anyone would make a decision based solely on what they have read. That being said, the commute from Richmond to Lynchburg is a bit far-fetched. If you were set on that, two areas that are the closest are:
1. The Midlothian area of the city on US 60 is less than 2 hours (driving the speed limit) to the eastern end of Lynchburg (US 60 West to Rt 24 W to US 460 W).
2. The Brandermill (Hull St. Rd.) area is also less than 2 hours to the eastern end of Lynchburg (US 360 W to Rt 307 W to US 460 W). You also have less of a chance with the school buses, as all but ~ 10 miles is 4 lane.

Better than Richmond, take a look at Roanoke or Charlottesville. both are half the distance to Lynchburg. Also, the location of the job will have a bearing on the commute, as the eastern end of town (Mt. Athos area) is ~ 25-30 minute drive to the far west end of town (Forest) along US 221.

When checking out the job, maybe it wouldn't hurt to query some of the single folks there and let them tell you the pros and cons of the area as opposed to relying on what people (most of whom are from other areas) say!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:40 PM

449 posts, read 494,988 times
How's the commute from Charlottesville to Lynchburg? Google maps says it's a 1hr 13min drive. Is there typically a lot of traffic on US-29 South/North? I imagine that part of VA being less populated means less traffic but who knows when it comes to actual traffic.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
How's the commute from Charlottesville to Lynchburg? Google maps says it's a 1hr 13min drive. Is there typically a lot of traffic on US-29 South/North? I imagine that part of VA being less populated means less traffic but who knows when it comes to actual traffic.
Probably better to ask on the Charlottesville forum. When I lived in Charlottesville 29 was a nightmare. But that was a long time ago.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:33 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times
oof. I'd do charlottesville. Traffic shouldn't be bad - 29 on northside is from hell, 29 on southside is basically empty. If you live on the south side of town, go 64 to 29 it would be doable. Still a long commute

You'd like Richmond, but the commute isn't doable.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 PM

449 posts, read 494,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
oof. I'd do charlottesville. Traffic shouldn't be bad - 29 on northside is from hell, 29 on southside is basically empty. If you live on the south side of town, go 64 to 29 it would be doable. Still a long commute

You'd like Richmond, but the commute isn't doable.
Thanks for the information. I was just wondering because of the prospects of having to work in the Lynchburg area. However, it doesn't seem like my kind of town so I was looking into moving to Charlottesville instead and commute to Lynchburg. Anyways I'll see what happens.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:16 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Thanks for the information. I was just wondering because of the prospects of having to work in the Lynchburg area. However, it doesn't seem like my kind of town so I was looking into moving to Charlottesville instead and commute to Lynchburg. Anyways I'll see what happens.
You need to consider a job where you live unless it's REALLY REALLY REALLY paying! C'ville to Lynchburg is about 75mi. So say 1.5hrs to give a little bit of wiggle room making it 3hrs a day total commute time. If you make say 70k/yr and don't have your salary (assumed) abused we'll call it 40hrs/wk. That makes an effective hourly work rate of $33.65/hr. At that rate of income while working you can assume that even being generous and calling it a 2hr commute it would cost you $68/day in commuting compared to actually working if you were closer and making the same money. In a year that's about $17.5k. Making a 75k year a job a $52.5k/yr job! Also, Can your current schedule afford to loose that much time assuming 5 days/wk? You need to do things other than wake up, work, and sleep right? I've done the far commute thing many times for many years and it only worked because I did contract and consultant work, it would have never made sense to do if I were and employee. I could have taken a job near home making far less, having a life outside of work, and in the end the same if not more money.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:28 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,249 times
29 heading south from the I-64 side of C'ville is not near the hell as heading North. But it is still a well traveled highway. Would take just over an hour. Roanoke to Lynchburg by US 460 is also just over an hour. The biggest thing you need to look at is cost of living. LOL, C'ville and Abermarle county (one of the richest in Virginia). Housing whether rental or buying is outrageous and that forces many to live in areas such as Waynesboro, Fluvanna, Staunton, Gordonsville ans so forth. Roanoke is much more reasonable with housing prices.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
There's no way I'd commute daily from C'ville to Lynchburg via 29... or any other highway/backroads combination.

Look at Roanoke.

Save your sanity and your $$$.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:55 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
There's no way I'd commute daily from C'ville to Lynchburg via 29... or any other highway/backroads combination.

Look at Roanoke.

Save your sanity and your $$$.
Totally agree, but I don't get the appeal of C'Ville at all (I spent three long years there as a student). No way I would do this. I still think the poster should ask on the Charlottesville forum. I really don't get why this question was posted on the Richmond forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond