U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 03:40 PM

20,586 posts, read 21,313,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I agree. My point is Richmond is saturated which drives margins very low. Only time will tell.
Market over-saturation does cause weaker participants to close stores and/or exit markets. With inferior participants completely removed, remaining participants may have more room to adjust their margins.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
That's where I'd put my money too. That's why I was wondering if that's a possible acquisition target for Publix. Giant way overpaid for those stores.
Publix has acquired stores from chains (Albertson's and Bi-Lo). It has not acquired entire chains.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:55 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,023,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix has acquired stores from chains (Albertson's and Bi-Lo). It has not acquired entire chains.
There are 20+ Martins in Richmond (about 130 total), over 2,000 Albertsons, and about 200 Bi Lo's from what I can tell. Buying 20 stores (or 130) wouldn't be unthinkable.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Bi-Lo, formerly a division of Ahold and now a banner of Southeastern Grocers, is down to 182 stores in Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee. Southeastern Grocers divested 29 Bi-Lo stores in Georgia to Tennessee to K-VA-T Food Stores, which converted them to Food City.

I have heard speculation Bi-Lo will be exiting North Carolina through store divestment and closings.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM

10,811 posts, read 11,074,087 times
Quote:
Aldi focuses on grocery and general merchandise staples, limits its items to its own brands or one or two additional brands, and reduces expenses by cart rental, no bags, no ambient music and minimal advertising,
I can't really agree I thought their prices were high for their brand and the limited selection for many food items was a deterrent to me. Reports had said that they were really good for fresh produce but I didn't see it, lack of carts seems nickel/dime and I don't see where any significant saving are generated. To each his own....

Old 02-02-2016, 04:59 PM

Maybe Publix will push Martins over the edge, they are continuing to close stores and I haven't met anyone who says they like shopping there. Once Wegmans open people will understand what Ukrop's tried to be but never was.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can't really agree I thought their prices were high for their brand and the limited selection for many food items was a deterrent to me. Reports had said that they were really good for fresh produce but I didn't see it, lack of carts seems nickel/dime and I don't see where any significant saving are generated. To each his own....
Aldi limits its transactions to cash, debit card, or electronic benefit transfer cards only. If it had more payment options like electronic check processing, I would be at Aldi more often. I have discovered another discount grocer that is just as good as Aldi.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Maybe Publix will push Martins over the edge, they are continuing to close stores and I haven't met anyone who says they like shopping there. Once Wegmans open people will understand what Ukrop's tried to be but never was.
Publix and Wegman's will be excellent supermarket participants in the Richmond area.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,023,078 times
Quote:
Publix and Wegman's will be excellent supermarket participants in the Richmond area.
Wegman's will be. Who knows on Publix. I just never got what people raved about.

The new article says Publix wants to aggressively grow in Richmond. The quickest way to do that is to acquire a bunch of stores.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Are you a spokesperson for them, lol. Like the other candidates already here I don't see my shopping habits changing, even with the all mighty Wegmans arriving I may visit once or twice but I don't see my self going out there on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond