U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
1,802 posts, read 5,856,233 times
Reputation: 670

Advertisements

Let's keep in mind that the parent companies for both Martin's and Food Lion are merging. Richmond is probably one of their most overlapped markets. I suspect from a regulatory or operations perspective there will be closures and consolidations which could create opportunities for new entrants like Publix (could explain their market entry). Kroger entered the Richmond market after acquiring several Hannaford locations following Delhaize's (Food Lion's parent) acquisition of some of their locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 8,049,546 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Let's keep in mind that the parent companies for both Martin's and Food Lion are merging. Richmond is probably one of their most overlapped markets. I suspect from a regulatory or operations perspective there will be closures and consolidations which could create opportunities for new entrants like Publix (could explain their market entry). Kroger entered the Richmond market after acquiring several Hannaford locations following Delhaize's (Food Lion's parent) acquisition of some of their locations.
Yep. That's why it would make sense to me for Pubix to buy Richmond's Martin's which are already a huge disappointment. It gives Publix some decent local real estate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA, from Boston
1,466 posts, read 2,310,048 times
Reputation: 720
I don't get why Publix is moving here. I also don't understand why people are excited. And I used to work for Publix long long ago, and have shopped there approximately a million times.

It's about as exciting as Kroger.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 8,049,546 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I don't get why Publix is moving here. I also don't understand why people are excited. And I used to work for Publix long long ago, and have shopped there approximately a million times.

It's about as exciting as Kroger.
I'm sort of with you except I like having a new grocery store 2 miles from my house. But if they expand by taking over Martin's it would be an improvement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Behind You!
1,954 posts, read 3,827,809 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I love that I'll have a new grocery store 5 minutes from my house on Nuckols Rd. (not a food lion fan) but how many grocery chains can this area sustain? I'm surprised Publix wants to enter this market given the competition. Maybe they will buy out Martin's???
People will always try out and if good get hooked on something new. They couldn't even remotely have a chance of a buyout. Not with Martins being part of the Giant / Stop & Shop chains. Martins being the smallest I see them being merged into one of the other brands at some point though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Virginia (again)
2,697 posts, read 8,049,546 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
People will always try out and if good get hooked on something new. They couldn't even remotely have a chance of a buyout. Not with Martins being part of the Giant / Stop & Shop chains. Martins being the smallest I see them being merged into one of the other brands at some point though.
We'll agree to disagree. Martin's is likely a huge disappointment to Giant/Stop & Shop who way overpaid and clearly didn't understand what they were and weren't buying. Publix may make them an offer which makes financial sense. As Carolina Knight pointed out, other chains have sold stores to Publix including Albertson's which has over 2,000 stores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 AM
 
1,373 posts, read 884,955 times
Reputation: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
We'll agree to disagree. Martin's is likely a huge disappointment to Giant/Stop & Shop who way overpaid and clearly didn't understand what they were and weren't buying. Publix may make them an offer which makes financial sense. As Carolina Knight pointed out, other chains have sold stores to Publix including Albertson's which has over 2,000 stores.

Wouldn't it be better for Ahold-Delhaize to convert the Martin's stores into Food Lion stores and close a few were they overlap with existing Food Lion stores?
Maybe that's difficult because Martin's stores are probably too large for the Food Lion concept? If so, they could change the managment of the Martin's branch and invest into the stores to make them more appealing.
Martin's and Food Lion, each of them have about 15% market share in Richmond. I don't think that Ahold-Delhaize will gave up half of their market share in Richmond. That would mean a loss of about half a billion in sales.
Selling their stores to Publix would mean that their Food Lion branch comes under even more pressure in Richmond. That seems to be the worst solution.
The combined sales of Ahold and Delhaize in the U.S. is about 50% higher than those of Publix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,655 posts, read 21,622,350 times
Reputation: 5691
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Are you a spokesperson for them, lol. Like the other candidates already here I don't see my shopping habits changing, even with the all mighty Wegmans arriving I may visit once or twice but I don't see my self going out there on a regular basis.
I reside in an area where Publix operates stores. It would be my secondary grocer as it does not have stores near my residence.

I have known Wegman's for over a decade. I have not been inside its stores, but I do have its card.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 07:55 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,655 posts, read 21,622,350 times
Reputation: 5691
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Let's keep in mind that the parent companies for both Martin's and Food Lion are merging. Richmond is probably one of their most overlapped markets. I suspect from a regulatory or operations perspective there will be closures and consolidations which could create opportunities for new entrants like Publix (could explain their market entry). Kroger entered the Richmond market after acquiring several Hannaford locations following Delhaize's (Food Lion's parent) acquisition of some of their locations.
Delhaize acquired Hannaford around 2000. It divested and closed stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. Stores in Raleigh-Cary and Wilmington, North Carolina became Lowe's Foods. Stores in the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, North Carolina-South Carolina area became Food Lion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,655 posts, read 21,622,350 times
Reputation: 5691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I don't get why Publix is moving here. I also don't understand why people are excited. And I used to work for Publix long long ago, and have shopped there approximately a million times.

It's about as exciting as Kroger.
Publix sees opportunity in Virginia for growth. It could create excitement because it is a well operated supermarket.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top