Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM

48 posts, read 187,379 times

Advertisements

I’m currently researching the following cities for relocation from Philadelphia. I’m trying desperately to stay within Henrico and Chesterfield Counties. Any input that you folks could give on the following inquiries would be greatly appreciated.

Are the stats close to being correct?
East Highland Park
White – 18%
Blacks – 79%
Glen Allen
White – 74%
Blacks – 19%
Wyndham
White – 90%
Blacks – 2%
Chester
White – 79%
Blacks – 13%
Short Pump
Couldn’t find any information on this city
Ashland
White-74.0%
Black-22.3%
Twin Hickory

Where do middle-class African Americans live in the suburbs of Richmond?
Which city above would you suggest?

I have 2 children and I am quite concerned. My children are not ghetto, thug (pardon the language) individuals. My oldest is in college studying game design and simulation and the other is 10 years old; a future sports (color) commentator.

I am a well educated, healthcare professional and do not wish to move my family into an unsavory area.

Are there any children sports leagues in the area?
Where can I find a YMCA or YWCA to sign my 10 year old up for sporting activities?

Thank you!
(This Forum is the BEST!”)

Last edited by msviolar; 02-17-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Heading should be "do' not "to". Typing too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:16 AM

132 posts, read 253,715 times
Unlike cities like Atlanta or even Raleigh the Richmond area does not have a sizeable suburban concentration of blacks. Pretty much, blacks live in the city while whites live in the county. You cant name a suburban area and say that that is a black area. This in comparison to say Atlanta where entire suburban areas are populated by affluent blacks. In Richmond, blacks are "sprinkled" throuhout the population of the surrounding counties vs a dense population in the city as evidenced by the numbers you researched.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msviolar View Post
I’m currently researching the following cities for relocation from Philadelphia. I’m trying desperately to stay within Henrico and Chesterfield Counties. Any input that you folks could give on the following inquiries would be greatly appreciated.

Are the stats close to being correct?
East Highland Park
White – 18%
Blacks – 79%
Glen Allen
White – 74%
Blacks – 19%
Wyndham
White – 90%
Blacks – 2%
Chester
White – 79%
Blacks – 13%
Short Pump
Ashland
White-74.0%
Black-22.3%
Twin Hickory

Where do middle-class African Americans live in the suburbs of Richmond?
Which city above would you suggest?

I have 2 children and I am quite concerned. My children are not ghetto, thug (pardon the language) individuals. My oldest is in college studying game design and simulation and the other is 10 years old; a future sports (color) commentator.

I am a well educated, healthcare professional and do not wish to move my family into an unsavory area.

Are there any children sports leagues in the area?
Where can I find a YMCA or YWCA to sign my 10 year old up for sporting activities?

Thank you!
(This Forum is the BEST!”)
Short Pump is Glen Allen.
Good for you for being blunt.
When I lived in Glen Allen (Innsbrook) in 1994 I had a few black professional neighbors, as with a couple from Asia. Our neighborhood was nice with no issues, block parties, etc., all were neighbors and our skin color did not come into play.

The same can be said for Midlothian.

Always keep in mind that with Virginia or anywhere you will find folks who are not as welcoming. Frankly this does not have to do with your skin color but the fact that you are not in the clique. Heck, I share your opinion though not black, I don't want to live around a bunch of folks who drive big bubba trucks and spend thier time swilling Budweiser and shooting out road signs.j

The last writer made comparisons to Atlanta, where I now live. You cannot compare the two as the Richmond MSA has about 1.1 million folks compared to the 5+ million in the Atlanta MSA. Frankly, the last thing anyone wants to do is compare Richmond to Atlanta, which is a whole other topic.

Good Luck on your search.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:52 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Wink Varina?

greeting msviolar!
I grew up in Eastern Henrico Co., The Varina area to be exact.. I attended Rolfe Middle and Varina High Schools. Varina is 56% black and 40% white (according to greatschools.net) basically students at Varina come from Rich areas (that being rich black communities and white ones), Middle class more rural areas, and goverment subsidized housing (both being white and black ones). Varina has changed a lot I graduated (in 2004) it has grown in population causing them to add traliors. But this is due to growth in the area. I believe an addition is being built as we speak to add additional classrooms. I think your son would do fine in Rolfe or Varina. Being 10 you might want to get him into the district with Elko Middle which is the new middle school that just opened last year. I would go to realtor.com and type in zip code 23231 or 23150 both of these are in the Varina district. You will find neighborhoods like Four mile run and Eagles Nest which has higher class blacks who drive nice cars and work hard for what they have. If you stay in the $250k range you wont find yourself in a bad area. Just because and area is highly concentrated with a certain race dosnt make it bad. If you have any questions let me know as I know A LOT about this area. Its a great place to call home.. afterall my parents have been there a long time (my mom her intire life.. both of my parents attended varina high as well!!) and will never leave. For me though I just needed a change so I moved to the mountains. Good luck! and god bless!! :-)

Old 02-18-2008, 03:27 PM

132 posts, read 253,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
The last writer made comparisons to Atlanta, where I now live. You cannot compare the two as the Richmond MSA has about 1.1 million folks compared to the 5+ million in the Atlanta MSA. Frankly, the last thing anyone wants to do is compare Richmond to Atlanta, which is a whole other topic.
I only made the comparison to give an example of an area which has a substantial concentration of middle classed and affluent blacks versus Richmond which doesnt.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
Generally middle-class blacks live with the other middle-class folks. At least here in the West End of Henrico.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 39,316 times
For your 10 year old, check out Millwood School. Please wait... They have a diverse student population and are very supportive and inclusive of all races/nationalities. They are JK - 8 grade, so are good for those difficult middle school years. I put my boys in there when we moved (3rd and 5th grade at the time) and they've done really well.

Also, Midlothian YMCA is great.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
BTW, Wyndham & Twin Hickory are not cities or towns, but large planned communities within a mile of each other. As far as I can tell living by both I don't think either gives a hoot about race.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 43,376 times
Default Midlothian

We have lived in the Midlothian area and from our experience, race really does not come into whether you are accepted in the community etc. We love this area and feel very, very safe. As far as sports for the kids... there is a lot to chose from - MYSL recreational soccer which is a great organization, teaches the kids skills and values, Basketball, baseball, lacrosse, football, swim teams - 2 YMCAs in the area. I cannot comment on Henrico or other counties as I am not as familiar with what they have to offer. I do not think you would have any worries here.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM

34 posts, read 181,662 times
Please disregaurd the first message left here. An area that may be of interest to you may in the 23227 zip code. Lovely area I considered myself. The dermagraphics are pretty much 50/50 in that area. The whites and blacks that live there are middle and upper middle class professionals like yourself. The homes are nice and reasonable priced. It's a clean area close to the interstates and a great church called Faith Landmarks Ministries. It too is very culturaly diverse. I am white, but I don't find segregating myself to provide any opportunity for growth. The people in that area and in that church (which is where I go) seem to have the same frame of mind. Stay out of rural areas. There are way to many confederate flags there! I do beleive you would like the area I discussed. I'm sure it will work out. God Bless (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond