Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,745 times

Advertisements

My wife was born and raised in Appomattox in central Virginia. Things there are much more "southern" then in Richmond and she has no southern accent. (Most of teh people there does have such an accent). Our children are born in Sweden and we ended up in central Virginia when they were 5 and 1,5 years old. They have no southern accent right now and I doubt they will develop one. They do say "Y'all" sometimes.....but then someone asked my oldest son if he was from Australia last week, so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosette8 View Post
Just a light little question.

We are from up-state NY (no NYC or LI accents....more neutural) We took our kids down there a few weeks ago to visit a school (they had some time in the classrooms) and one of my kids asked, "What does y'all mean?" They thought it was funny....the words and accents. Now they are excited and wondering if they will get an accent too!

They are 4, 7, 8, and 10 yo. We will be living near the University of Richmond and it seems a lot people my husband will be working with have grown up in the south if not in Richmond and have a bit of an accent.

So.....do you think they will end up with an accent? (my thought was maybe the 4 yo)

Thanks!!
Near U of R? No way. If anything, you'll feel right at home. U of R is mostly kids from the Northeast anyway.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,668 times
Default Accent

Your family already has an accent, one more won't hurt.

You say your speech is neutral, you really think it is?

I doubt that. Why do people even talk about such crap.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM

92 posts, read 254,782 times
I was actually in Richmond this past weekend (coming from Ohio) and I noticed that it was basically only adults like 30 and up having accents. I really didn't notice anyone younger than that with one. However I was only there for a weekend

Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 AM

624 posts, read 1,161,668 times
Default And?

What is the big problem with people in Richmond having accents?

Is the speech traits in Richmond any different than New Jersey, Canada, Texas , or Michigan?

Is this simply a discussion to belittle speech patterns of a particular region?

Trite.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 PM

132 posts, read 253,911 times
Black people in NYC say "yall", but it comes out sounding more like "yah"... still the same thing. Yall is not just a southern thing.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM

79 posts, read 342,425 times
Sunset VA--
Sorry you were offended.

I have lived all over this country from NYC to Texas to California. I am not someone who has not been exposed to accents. I actually loved my time in California when everyone had accents (such a national and international melting pot)....and my roommate was also asked if he was from Austrial many times....he was from Philly!

This was just a cute, light-hearted observation of my kids noticing an accent and were excited at this possibility of sounding just like the people they met at the school they visited.

I thought it was a charming compliment to Richmond.

We were just back this past weekend and I did try to see how much I heard at the places we went. I must say I truly only heard it at the kids school from the adults I had interaction with...didn't talk to any kids this time around. A few people here and there at some stores, but it does seem to be lots of northeast transplants in our area.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 AM

246 posts, read 873,359 times
I visited Richmond this past weekend from Connecticut and noticed a slight accent, but it was much more faint than I thought.

Also to the poster above who was offended, why?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 PM

55 posts, read 183,239 times
They are all young enough, so they are all going to get it. If they were older, possibly not, but even when you are older it depends. Some people in their 20s pick up accents because they are prone to that happening, while others do not.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM

6 posts, read 25,203 times
Wow. I cant figure out why in the world Sunset va would be offended by this. Can we deny that people who grew up in Richmond in the 70s and before basically all have southern accents? I don't think so. My family is Richmond born and raised, Tucker area to be exact, and there is no way anyone would say they don't have accents. That goes for all their friends, other family etc. I know southern cities have changed a lot over the past couple of decades due to people moving in from all over, but seriously, there is no reason to be offended by someone pointing out that people in Richmond have accents.

And to the person about how black people say y'all in the northeast. Uhhh.....where do you think black families moved to the northeast from originally? If you pay attention, there are still a lot of similarities between southern and black speech, and it's not just a coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond