U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 09:59 AM

73 posts, read 87,330 times

Advertisements

Okay guys I think we've narrowed down our relocating plans to Richmond. I'd like to get everyone's opinion on best place to live for us. Conservative family with 4, soon to be 5, kids. Looking for a quiet, friendly community that offers large lots - preferably a half acre to a full acre MIN. The more land the better, but we don't want to be too isolated either. Don't like the look of fully wooded areas up close to the house (need large grassy areas for kids to roam and such), so looking more for green space everywhere with some nice trees mixed in. Safe, safe, safe. We need atleast 4 bedrooms preferably more. Newer house with bells and whistles for a forever home that can age with us. Within short commute to downtown but FEELS rural and is very scenic. Hopefully some shopping and cafes nearby-ish. Maybe trails and recreation/parks nearby would be an added bonus. A pool would be amazing. We do not like hustle and bustle, would prefer quiet and pretty. We don't care at all about prestige or keeping up with the Jones, just want a family home that is so great the kids will never leave us! Also, great schools is nice as far as the neighbors it may attract as opposed to otherwise, but we really don't care about it for ourselves as we homeschool.

We would like to find a deal for under $600k, but can stretch up to $750k if it was absolutely necessary. Hopefully we can stay under budget and would be excited if we could find something under $500k.

I've heard a lot of names thrown out - Short Pump, Glen Allen, Midlothian, Tuckahoe, etc. but have also heard good things about Hanover County. My husband is willing to commute up to about a half hour or so. So if there's some places that are better kept secrets, I'm definitely open to them too. Where are all the farmstands around here (just as a side note)? Goochland County, Powhatan County, and less so Hanover County look to be the least population dense atleast according to online maps. But how isolated are they? How's the commutes? Also, what is so bad about eastern and southern Richmond suburbs/country areas? I never hear them mentioned but I would think that being between Richmond and Williamsburg would be desirable since they are both landmark places to visit. I've heard the eastern and southern sides are the "poor" areas, or have higher crime? Just wondering why those areas are usually left out of considerations.

Basically, rather than saying they're all good and valid options (Which I'm sure they are), I'd like to have sort of a poll and see what you would pick if you were in my shoes. Toe to toe, which area is ideal? Both for scenic beauty and all the stats I gave? Plus, anything else I need to think about/consider/be aware of? Such as trends in these places or issues I wouldn't know until living there for awhile?

Thanks SO SO much everyone!

Last edited by indecisive2012; 03-10-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 AM

12 posts, read 7,997 times
'" conservaive family""
what would your politics or believes have to do with the neighborhood you move to?
I'm not being disrespectful, just asking.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:52 AM

495 posts, read 444,566 times
My first thought when reading this was "Mechanicsville/Atlee area", but since you mentioned homeschooling, the choice of school zone doesn't matter so much, so I'd say you'd be more likely to find what you want in areas like Western New Kent, Eastern Goochland, Northern Hanover, etc. Maybe Varina in eastern Henrico.

Quote:
Also, what is so bad about eastern and southern Richmond suburbs/country areas? I never hear them mentioned but I would think that being between Richmond and Williamsburg would be desirable since they are both landmark places to visit. I've heard the eastern and southern sides are the "poor" areas, or have higher crime? Just wondering why those areas are usually left out of consideration
Yes, generally, those areas have worse schools, fewer amenities, and (closer to the city limits) more crime. The first alone is enough to disqualify them for many people looking into moving to the RVA metro. For similar reasons, the Tri-Cities (Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell) and rural Dinwiddie and Prince George Counties are practically invisible on this board, though a good bit of those areas are within 25-35 minutes of downtown Richmond.

Conversely, city-data posters tend to like excellent schools and nearby shopping, so those areas you've already heard about get recommended all the time. However, because of that, larger homes and lots are less available and more expensive; the sort that you're looking for starts at the top end of your budget in western Henrico (and will likely have too many trees for you anyway).

There are okay areas south and east of city (I grew up in one), but nobody comes to this forum looking for a middle-of-the-road suburb with mediocre schools.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 AM

73 posts, read 87,330 times
That makes sense, thanks for the reply and info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond