Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 8,108 times

Advertisements

I saw Libbie Mill recommended on another thread and wondered if anyone has any opinions on it. I get the impression it's pretty new. I like that it's not too far from downtown.

I'm planning to retire in four years and would like to move away from northern VA (Alexandria). Richmond is at the top of my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
I recommended it on another thread. I'm a big fan of the neighborhood. It is brand new, convenient and in a good area. The neighborhood has a library, retail space and hopefully another grocer soon. There is Pulse BRT access and bus access in the area, which is big for me because I have to catch Amtrack to DC once a week(Staples Mill station is about 3 min away). Willow Lawn is within walking distance with any shop you can think of and downtown is only about 10 min away. Carytown is about ten min, Short Pump about 15 min.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM

Thank you, mpier! That's all great to hear. I definitely see myself going back to the DC area to visit friends after I retire and Amtrak would definitely be the way to go.
What grocer is in the Libbie Mill area?

I plan to visit Richmond in June and will check it out.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
When the community first opened there were two grocers literally inside of the neighborhood. One was a specialty grocer out of Raleigh that had a restaurant and culinary school attached, called Southern Season. At the time, there was little to no housing developed so I believe that they were too early. I'm not even sure the library had been fully built yet.
https://www.richmond.com/business/lo...fa255959f.html

The other was a food lion located directly in front of the neighborhood but has since closed due to Food Lion having several other stores in the immediate area. Currently, there is a Lidl on Staples Mill and Broad as well as Target on Libbie and Broad.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
There is a large Kroger at Willow Lawn too. A Publix is under construction a few miles away on Patterson Ave.
There’s a Whole Foods under construction about two miles east on Broad Street. In Carytown there is a Kroger, a Publix under construction, a Fresh Market and Elwood Thompson (a local version of Whole Foods, great store!). There’s an Aldi about 1 mile west on Broad Street.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Retail needs to start moving in for things to progress, and I mean real retail like a supermarket, cleaners, take out etc. The last market mentioned above was an expensive specialty store that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Even if it was still there its not the kind of place you go for your weekly shopping especially as a family. Plenty of places in the area to shop and eat and your in Henrico County not the city, lower taxes, better roads and services. The community is planned as one of those new urbanism concepts and seems better laid out then West Broad Village in Short Pump, Good luck in your plans...

Old 01-06-2020, 06:11 PM

10 posts, read 10,196 times
Watson61, did you move to Libbie Mill? I looked at it a few weeks ago and would love to hear more about it.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 AM

I'm not planning to move to Richmond until I retire in a few years. I did visit Libby Mill and liked the area, especially the library and the proximity to downtown. But I agree with the poster who said more retail needs to come to that area. And not just boutique fitness places. I plan another visit to Richmond soon and I'll check out LM again.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:07 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
I’m not sure when you cities LM but in th e last month or two they broke ground on a very large apartment building that should add the additional people necessary to support more retail. The townhomes are also growing like weeds on the western edge of the development.

I had my doubts (but was hopeful) about this place two years ago but I’m really starting to see that it is going to work. Development is happening across staples mill to the east too. This whole area is poised to boom.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:18 AM

Thanks spencer, that is good news. I was there last September. I'm glad things are moving along. I need to pay another visit this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond