Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 04:24 PM

165 posts, read 322,912 times

Advertisements

Only upside is that when I ran out of something for Thanksgiving, I can always count on one of the stores having what I need.

However, that's the only plus.

It's shameful that there is such a high concentration of grocery stores in the WESTERN End of Henrico, but if you go to the EASTERN end of Henrico, good luck finding 5-6 grocery stores within 5 minutes of each other. Don't get me started on the chronic FOOD DESERT that is historic Church Hill that just got their first grocery store in almost 20 years.

The West End does not need 4 Publix, 4-6 Food Lions, 2-3 Krogers, 5 Aldis, Wegmans, Whole Foods, Tom Leonard's, Wal-Mart, Target, all with 5-8 minute driving time.

The market in the West End is oversaturated with grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 02:22 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Economics 101, if you build them and the locals don't rob you blind then they will build more. Its free commerce, why don't you ask the vendors why they don't establish more stores?

Old 01-11-2020, 01:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
It's not only the FWE, it's both sides of the river, but yes the worst concentrations of retail is in the FWE. Through the years numerous types of retail came in droves and through the years most of them have failed. Also the massive construction all the way to the Goochland border just made it worse. In 2018/2019 there was a massive influx of markets that was beyond belief. Best to try them all and choose your favorites. I'd say my top two are Wegmans & Fresh Market. Give it a few years when the leases come up, and many will close down.

As to why so much. Look around there is no minimum lot size. So either massive neighborhoods go in where neighbors can watch each other shower or massive apartment complexes go in.

I'm so happy where I live, I have no neighboring house that I can see during winter. As to the drive I really don't mind the 15-30 mind drive to get to where I need to go. The worst part of any drive now in the FWE is the traffic as one now has stop lights everywhere and they don't work in sequence.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
West Enders shop a lot and also eat out a lot.
Personally I don’t mind having a wealth of excellent choices.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
2 excellent, recent articles, analyzing Richmond's attempts to bring supermarkets to their inner-city

https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp/41957-2

https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp/r...h-nut-to-crack

Old 01-16-2020, 08:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
Only upside is that when I ran out of something for Thanksgiving, I can always count on one of the stores having what I need.

However, that's the only plus.

It's shameful that there is such a high concentration of grocery stores in the WESTERN End of Henrico, but if you go to the EASTERN end of Henrico, good luck finding 5-6 grocery stores within 5 minutes of each other. Don't get me started on the chronic FOOD DESERT that is historic Church Hill that just got their first grocery store in almost 20 years.

The West End does not need 4 Publix, 4-6 Food Lions, 2-3 Krogers, 5 Aldis, Wegmans, Whole Foods, Tom Leonard's, Wal-Mart, Target, all with 5-8 minute driving time.

The market in the West End is oversaturated with grocery stores.
There are many grocery competitors. Too many competitors will cause inferior and underachieving participants to lose and exit. The time of correction and reduction should come soon.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
There are many grocery competitors. Too many competitors will cause inferior and underachieving participants to lose and exit. The time of correction and reduction should come soon.
With most having 5 yr or 10 yr leases it's not going to be as soon as you think.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
2 excellent, recent articles, analyzing Richmond's attempts to bring supermarkets to their inner-city

Both your links are downtown Richmond and not the Far West End. Two different mind sets and to two different economies.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:18 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

Two articles that apply to the city not the West End as previously pointed out. What they both point out is that those on a modest budget are looking to get the most bang for their buck to fill their stomachs and vine ripened tomatoes are not going to do it.

This isn't unique to Richmond I remember a battle in Burlington Vermont where one group wanted an Ellwood Thompson type store put at a location downtown and the other wanted a chain store with $.99 loafs of bread. The average citizen couldn't afford the Local Farmer prices in the end the earthy crunchy store won but they modified the stock to include $.99 loaves of bread and other basic commodities.

Richmond needs to do the same, provide a supermarket priced to meet the communities buying power and stop trying to force only healthy eating it won't work, given time people will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond