Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 10:53 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Trump lost and I accept this. He was an a** and did not hide it. But the far left liberals scare the hell out of me as much as the far right scares me. But you speak of the "younger people." No doubt many of these young folks will go on to do great things. But I am seeing more and more that these younger people seem to be addicted to the cell phones and they fail to learn how to be a productive person in the real world. A friend helps lead a tech school near me and he says the vast majority coming in have no clue what a crescent wrench is when asked and many do not know the difference between a slotted and phillips head screwdrivers. They've become softer and softer and hard work is foreign to many.
I learned the two different screwdriver types as Phillips and flathead. Same thing?

That said, with the decline of manufacturing/blue-collar work and rural areas in general, it's no wonder that general knowledge of tools and such isn't as common as it used to be. This doesn't mean they don't have the capacity to learn these things, but they aren't being taught them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 11:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
"Federally occupied." We lost the War, its time to move on.
Very true, the War is over.. but truth is carpetbagging hasn't stopped. Northern Virginia has been essentially carpetbagged by transplanted government workers.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I learned the two different screwdriver types as Phillips and flathead. Same thing?

That said, with the decline of manufacturing/blue-collar work and rural areas in general, it's no wonder that general knowledge of tools and such isn't as common as it used to be. This doesn't mean they don't have the capacity to learn these things, but they aren't being taught them.

Yes. Flathead or slotted works for most folks.

Old 11-14-2020, 05:34 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
I become more conservative about fiscal matters as I age, but not on "social" issues. Unfortunately, on fiscal issues, the GOP is no longer a responsible party at the national level and at the state level, both parties have to tow to the line of a balanced budget.

Our last GOP governor, McDonnell, didn't exactly look conservative when it came to fiscal matters. He proposed $44M in budget amendments over what the legislature proposed, some were approved and some not from tax credits to businesses, to $2M to lure movie companies to VA. There were also some social programs included.

These were not necessarily bad proposals, but hardly in line with limited government. Instead, even though to the right on the political spectrum, it represented the middle way which usually is the VA way. When we have strayed from that in 1861 or with massive resistance, we always loose.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Very true, the War is over.. but truth is carpetbagging hasn't stopped. Northern Virginia has been essentially carpetbagged by transplanted government workers.
That's called growth. Regardless of cause, major urban growth spurts lead to widespread demographic, socioeconomic, political, and cultural changes.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:47 AM

I was surprised to see a graph at the Virginia Museum of History and Culture of the number of people who live in VA who were not born here. It has nothing to do with "carpetbaggers." Its just part of living in the US where we can move. If complaining about government workers consider the number of military and their families in Hampton Roads who were not born here. The number of skilled workers who were not born in VA but work in the shipyards, and why not, a skilled welder at Newport News shipyard can make over $100,000 a year and there is now a shortage of them. In central VA there is such a large number of immigrants from south Asia, Henrico built more cricket fields. Imagine, not baseball, not football, but cricket. I don't think these immigrants would be considered carpetbaggers.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:02 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Not only are they not carpet baggers, it isn’t a new development. Tidewater and Northern Virginia have been populated with transplants for 60-80 years.

Just because provincial people just started paying attention doesn’t mean anything new is happening.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:17 AM

At what point is someone not a carpetbagger? Were the First Families of Virginia (FFV's) carpet baggers? Maybe anyone who was not one of the ancients (later settlers at Jamestown referred to the surviving settlers of the early colony as the ancients). In fact, VA has always had immigration. After all who doesn't want to be a Viriginian?

“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above.”

The Virginia Creed
—Anonymous

Who are we to deny people the right to live here?

Old 11-15-2020, 04:16 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
At what point is someone not a carpetbagger? Were the First Families of Virginia (FFV's) carpet baggers? Maybe anyone who was not one of the ancients (later settlers at Jamestown referred to the surviving settlers of the early colony as the ancients). In fact, VA has always had immigration. After all who doesn't want to be a Viriginian?

“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above.”

The Virginia Creed
—Anonymous

Who are we to deny people the right to live here?

You should hear folks in Florida. At least those born and raised there for generations. I was born there but moved to VA as a teen. But many of my family have been there for generations. Some of them, as well as some others I know from Fla, bemoan all the northerners moving into Fla. They tease that those from NYC and Jersey have no idea how to speak English.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:13 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
[/b]

You should hear folks in Florida. At least those born and raised there for generations. I was born there but moved to VA as a teen. But many of my family have been there for generations. Some of them, as well as some others I know from Fla, bemoan all the northerners moving into Fla. They tease that those from NYC and Jersey have no idea how to speak English.
But Virginia is not Florida... we are not the butt of many geographical jokes i.e. "The Florida Man". You seem to have brought your ideal to Virginia but thats ok because Virginia is welcoming of all, we're not a state overrun with rednecks and their whites only ideologies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond