Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,381 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am new on the forum, it seems like a great ressource. We moved to Richmond just over a year ago and are currently renting but we are planning to start looking for a house this spring. We have two kids, 3 and 5. We are now in Carillon, between Byrd Park and the City Stadium. We love the location, close to parks and playground for the kids, close to Carytown, easy access to 195...We would love to stay here but our oldest is going to start school next September and unfortunatly schools are not the greatest in Richmond, so we are looking at the suburbs but we don't know anyhting about them.
We are looking for a 4 bedroom house with a decent backyard so kids can play. We are not necessarily looking for the best schools, it seems like all in Henrico or Chesterfield county are OK. I work 5 miles south of Ashland and my wife works in the city. We'd like to live in a progressive, diverse neighborhood. We also love being able to walk to parks, playground, restaurants,...but we realize that might be difficult to find outside the city. So far we are thinking about Bon Air which seems to tick a lot of boxes for us and is still close to the city too.
We did not know anyone here before moving and because of the pandemic we haven't had the oppportunity to make friends so we would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienR View Post
We'd like to live in a progressive, diverse neighborhood.
I meant liberal, sorry, english is not my first language.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
If it were a conservative neighborhood would you avoid it?

Old 01-18-2021, 03:59 PM

It depends how conservative. We have nothing against conservative people per say, we respect different opinions, but we would more likely become good friends with liberal people.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
So I assume you'll interview all the neighbors to see how they vote? Making friends should not be dictated by how the folks lean politically. Not once have I polled my neighbors to see how they vote. While my area is definitely more conservative there are plenty who lean left and we are good friends with several. We just tend to gravitate towards good people. If I learn they vote opposite of me then nothing changes amongst us. But good luck finding that liberal neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:04 AM

95 posts, read 91,857 times
Don't go to Bon Air if you're looking for a liberal area, it leans more red. Chesterfield is more conservative than Henrico. I live in Bon Air. Would rather you take your liberal voting habits to north of the river. Thank you

Old 01-19-2021, 08:41 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
Sorry that such a simple question turned into all this with zero help even offered. Literally wasted posts that added nothing. OP, take a look at Glen Allen/Short Pump area. Suburbs in general tend to be a little more conservative than the city but Richmond is a pretty live and let live type of place. Depending on your budget, there are parts of Henrico pretty close to City Stadium that could also do the job...Tuckahoe, Three Chopt, River Road area.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:58 PM

49 posts, read 72,443 times
Yikes some grouchy people posting... I am also looking for info on Richmond & surrounding areas. It’s a bit confusing as is Henrico a county or town? We also would prefer to be in a more liberal leaning area as I agree with OP that you tend to befriend people with like minded ideals . It’s not always political but liberals tend to be environment conscious which we are & so forth. There are other factors not just “ I don’t want to live beside a Republican” lol . We all know that’s impossible and silly.

And Jupiter1162 you’re already not being neighborly yourself by telling OP to live elsewhere so...
Seems you guys were mad they were saying that tend to want a like minded area but seems you do too...

Old 01-20-2021, 06:07 AM

49 posts, read 72,443 times
Also what’s the deal with suburbs like Hopewell? Nice not nice etc

Old 01-20-2021, 06:19 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgthompson123 View Post
Yikes some grouchy people posting... I am also looking for info on Richmond & surrounding areas. It’s a bit confusing as is Henrico a county or town? We also would prefer to be in a more liberal leaning area as I agree with OP that you tend to befriend people with like minded ideals . It’s not always political but liberals tend to be environment conscious which we are & so forth. There are other factors not just “ I don’t want to live beside a Republican” lol . We all know that’s impossible and silly.

And Jupiter1162 you’re already not being neighborly yourself by telling OP to live elsewhere so...
Seems you guys were mad they were saying that tend to want a like minded area but seems you do too...
Henrico is a county. Virginia can be confusing because our cities are independent and completely separated from our counties. Henrico and Chesterfield are the counties that surround Richmond. Virginia doesn't have a lot of official towns except for places like Ashland. They are more like census designated places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond