Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,892 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am considering a move to Richmond. I have family in the Tidewater area and everyone I have talked to loves Richmond from both the outdoors and culture perspective.

I am probably not in the main age demo as I am 65, single, no kids. I work and love the outdoors, love the arts and great food, of which Richmond apparently has in abundance. Hike, bike, whitewater, write and like making new friends.

I have lived out west most of my life, Denver, Vegas, Albuquerque and am probably politically center left.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 09:01 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,757,392 times
I thought Richmond is loaded with gangs and it's not safe to drive into Richmond rest areas along I95. Did it change?

Old 06-13-2021, 09:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,086,939 times
Whitewater rafting in the city https://www.wric.com/destination-vac...ntown-richmond

Local bicycling club group https://www.raba.org

https://www.virginiacapitaltrail.org

Old 06-14-2021, 03:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I thought Richmond is loaded with gangs and it's not safe to drive into Richmond rest areas along I95. Did it change?
Seriously? This is your response. OP. Don't listen to this person. Coming from a LE background in VA gangs can be in cities as well as suburban areas. Richmond is no worse than any city along the east coast and if you do a search you'll see very few, if any, stories on gang issues as of late. And there are no rest areas on I-95 in Richmond.

Personally I am near your age and no longer enjoy city environments but if it is your thing I think you'll enjoy Richmond.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? This is your response. OP. Don't listen to this person. Coming from a LE background in VA gangs can be in cities as well as suburban areas. Richmond is no worse than any city along the east coast and if you do a search you'll see very few, if any, stories on gang issues as of late. And there are no rest areas on I-95 in Richmond.

Personally I am near your age and no longer enjoy city environments but if it is your thing I think you'll enjoy Richmond.
Thanks Bigfoot.....yeah I wasn't sure what that post was all about....appreciate your insights.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:10 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,527,057 times
Here in VA, I'm considered left of center - on the front range of CO I was considered conservative. Compared to the front range, you will find Richmond easy to get around with a vehicle. Mass transit is lame and the area with a few exceptions like right in town, is not friendly to pedestrians even when they have the right of way.

Getting out of town, I-95 north and I-64 east are more like CO (I70/25/36) - traffic congestion and delays. Going west on I64 is aways a nice drive. Like all of the southeast, if you are not use to the humidity, it will take some "seasoning" to get use to. Richmond is always bad for allergy sufferers.

There are crime maps online which show high crime areas. You can watch Richmond City Council on public TV on Mondays - not every Monday - to see how local government functions.

Housing is considerably higher than in Tidewater, but cheaper than CO.

It is beautiful in many areas, slower paced with a moderate cost of living. Health care is good. MCV/VCU the main teaching hospital has expanded to south of the river, east of Richmond and into the far west end at Short Pump, so having access to them is getting easier.

The entire region is in transition from its old image. A lot of it goes unnoticed.

Take a look at Style Magazine & Henrico Citizen:

https://www.styleweekly.com

https://www.henricocitizen.com

Last edited by webster; 06-14-2021 at 04:24 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 06:05 PM

27 posts, read 33,700 times
I think you might like the Stratford Hills area near Pony Pastures if you are an outdoor enthusiast. I also think Northside, particularly Bellevue, might be a good fit. It’s a mix of young families and all ages. Parts of the Fan and Museum District might be desirable. Again, a mix of ages, though the closer to VCU, the younger it is. Meetup.com might have some groups in the area that fit your interests.

To be honest, I don’t know much about downtown living. I go downtown a lot, but I don’t know many people who live there, but there are a whole lot of awesome condos/apts there. I really like the area near Brown’s Island. Lots of cool concerts there. Check out the Potterfield Bridge.

Based on your political beliefs and personal interests, most of Hanover County is probably not going to be of interest to you, though Ashland might be worth a visit.

I would recommend renting first to get a feel of the area.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Here in VA, I'm considered left of center - on the front range of CO I was considered conservative. Compared to the front range, you will find Richmond easy to get around with a vehicle. Mass transit is lame and the area with a few exceptions like right in town, is not friendly to pedestrians even when they have the right of way.

Getting out of town, I-95 north and I-64 east are more like CO (I70/25/36) - traffic congestion and delays. Going west on I64 is aways a nice drive. Like all of the southeast, if you are not use to the humidity, it will take some "seasoning" to get use to. Richmond is always bad for allergy sufferers.

There are crime maps online which show high crime areas. You can watch Richmond City Council on public TV on Mondays - not every Monday - to see how local government functions.

Housing is considerably higher than in Tidewater, but cheaper than CO.

It is beautiful in many areas, slower paced with a moderate cost of living. Health care is good. MCV/VCU the main teaching hospital has expanded to south of the river, east of Richmond and into the far west end at Short Pump, so having access to them is getting easier.

The entire region is in transition from its old image. A lot of it goes unnoticed.

Take a look at Style Magazine & Henrico Citizen:

https://www.styleweekly.com

https://www.henricocitizen.com
Wow, great insights and appreciate your input....interesting that you moved from CO to Richmond...

Old 06-20-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemove View Post
I think you might like the Stratford Hills area near Pony Pastures if you are an outdoor enthusiast. I also think Northside, particularly Bellevue, might be a good fit. It’s a mix of young families and all ages. Parts of the Fan and Museum District might be desirable. Again, a mix of ages, though the closer to VCU, the younger it is. Meetup.com might have some groups in the area that fit your interests.

To be honest, I don’t know much about downtown living. I go downtown a lot, but I don’t know many people who live there, but there are a whole lot of awesome condos/apts there. I really like the area near Brown’s Island. Lots of cool concerts there. Check out the Potterfield Bridge.

Based on your political beliefs and personal interests, most of Hanover County is probably not going to be of interest to you, though Ashland might be worth a visit.

I would recommend renting first to get a feel of the area.
Thanks Katemove....yeah being close to the mountains and the ocean...wow, what a homerun. And everything I have heard/read about the area tells me its a great place to live. Appreciate you!

Old 06-20-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Wow, great info and sweet info about biking and whitewater....appreciate your info!

Thanks Slowlane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond