Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 10:19 PM

49 posts, read 69,225 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some honest input about the Richmond/Glen Allen area. My husband has a job opportunity there and I’m just looking for some buy-ins. This will be our third relo with the company so we’re veterans and the transition will be smooth for us. We are from Spokane, Washington. I have two little ones ages 3 and 5. I am worried about the culture. Are people friendly, welcoming, etc? Or do people keep to themselves? Are people humble or overtly flashy? I’ve seen both (people here don’t take too kindly to flashy). We are not spenders and want the same culture for our kids.

Also- weather! How humid is it there? Is it year round? And are there seasonal allergies? My husband has allergies so it would be good to know!

Any other first impressions and advice from other people who have moved around a bit?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 06:21 PM

26 posts, read 31,360 times
I'm sorry, but I have to ask...is there information out there floating around somewhere that the people of the Richmond area are mean people? If so, I want to squash that narrative. Richmond is the northern-most southern city and (I thought) it is well-known for its charm and friendly people. Generally speaking people in Richmond are very friendly. Of course, everywhere you go there will be some mean people, but for the most part, you have nothing to worry about in Richmond. Friendly people are all over the region. There will be somewhat of a cultural shock since you are coming from Washington state. Eastern culture is quite a bit different from western culture. Can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but it's just...different. There are both humble and flashy people everywhere you go, but I would not classify people in the Richmond region "flashy."

Weather wise, you might want to brace yourself. It is VERY humid here! It's not as noticeable in the fall/winter time, but come summer time, you WILL suffer. You will be soaking wet as soon as you walk out of your home...so just be prepared for that (combine the humidity with the stifling summer heat, it can feel like hell on Earth). Like I said though, the early Spring & Fall are very nice here...winters can be cool, but generally winters are mild with the occasional snow storm. Also, as far as seasonal allergies - I've got some bad news...the southeast United States (to include the mid-Atlantic) is pretty much the Mecca of seasonal allergies. My advice is to load up on your favorite, most effective seasonal allergy meds (especially during the spring when yellow pollen coats everything outside). My go-to is Allegra. I'm on it from early Spring until the first frost in the Fall. Good luck in your relocation to Richmond. Really, the Richmond metro area is fantastic! It's a great place to raise a family. Take advantage of all the historic sites and activities Virginia offers and remember, this move will be only be what you make of it. Have a positive attitude about it, get involved in the community, and you will find a new "home" in Richmond for sure! Wishing you all the best!

Old 01-17-2021, 02:38 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
OP. Not sure I'd agree with the one response regarding how horrible the humidity is in Richmond. Does it get humid? Absolutely. Will it dominate your life? Of course not. While I do not live in Richmond I have been in VA since 73. If you don't like the weather here just wait a day and it will be different. I like the area you mention as I am not a city person but this is more suburbia with Glen Allen. The people here are pretty much like the people all over the country. You'll have the friendly, non friendly and people who keep to themselves. I have traveled all over the country for work and I found finding friendly people is the norm no matter where I go. Richmond is a city for sure but not in the sense of NYC, Baltimore, Seattle and so on. You will find rush hours here are easy in comparison to Northern VA and other metropolitan areas. Of course a crash can change this but for the most part Richmond is an easy city to travel in.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:30 AM

4,208 posts, read 2,527,057 times
Obviously folks have a different opinion of humidity. From mid July to Sept. it is humid. Some love it. All I can say is that during those weeks, unless there is a breeze, you will sweat buckets even when sitting. By 11 a.m. plan on being in the house or drenched with sweat. In the colonial era they called it "seasoning." Then it was a bit different, either you were seasoned to the heat and diseases which are now eliminated (yellow fever for example) or you died. But now it still takes some getting use to, but it won't kill you.

A true story about it: I have a friend from Prague who went to the Medical College of VA. In the winter he once asked me on Cary Street why people walked so slow. That summer we were again on Cary Street and he turned to me and out of the blue said "now I know why people walk so slow."

If you garden, the area is great.

BTW, if you do move here, once you have a date, go ahead and make your appointment with DMV online. Right now it takes a few months since they are doing it by appointment and they are months behind. You can always cancel.

Last edited by webster; 01-17-2021 at 05:03 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandslee View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to ask...is there information out there floating around somewhere that the people of the Richmond area are mean people? If so, I want to squash that narrative. Richmond is the northern-most southern city and (I thought) it is well-known for its charm and friendly people. Generally speaking people in Richmond are very friendly. Of course, everywhere you go there will be some mean people, but for the most part, you have nothing to worry about in Richmond. Friendly people are all over the region. There will be somewhat of a cultural shock since you are coming from Washington state. Eastern culture is quite a bit different from western culture. Can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but it's just...different. There are both humble and flashy people everywhere you go, but I would not classify people in the Richmond region "flashy."

Weather wise, you might want to brace yourself. It is VERY humid here! It's not as noticeable in the fall/winter time, but come summer time, you WILL suffer. You will be soaking wet as soon as you walk out of your home...so just be prepared for that (combine the humidity with the stifling summer heat, it can feel like hell on Earth). Like I said though, the early Spring & Fall are very nice here...winters can be cool, but generally winters are mild with the occasional snow storm. Also, as far as seasonal allergies - I've got some bad news...the southeast United States (to include the mid-Atlantic) is pretty much the Mecca of seasonal allergies. My advice is to load up on your favorite, most effective seasonal allergy meds (especially during the spring when yellow pollen coats everything outside). My go-to is Allegra. I'm on it from early Spring until the first frost in the Fall. Good luck in your relocation to Richmond. Really, the Richmond metro area is fantastic! It's a great place to raise a family. Take advantage of all the historic sites and activities Virginia offers and remember, this move will be only be what you make of it. Have a positive attitude about it, get involved in the community, and you will find a new "home" in Richmond for sure! Wishing you all the best!
Hi! No I ask this question of all potential areas we plan to move to. It generates different responses, and it’s interesting. I would like to know more of how east coast culture is different.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:31 AM

Thank you everyone for their input. It’s given us a lot to think about.
We have decided to wait for my parents to retire to make a decision since they want to relo as well. We like the idea of VA but also have looked at GA. We just made a trip to Disneyworld with our two littles and I can’t imagine the humidity in the summer there (we quickly crossed off FL from the list). My husband is worried about the availability of mountain biking since he loves to do that here (PNW is the Mecca for this). Not sure about how big the mountains are over there. We will have some leeway where my husband wouldn’t have to work full time anymore so location wouldn’t be such a big issue. Just hoping and praying that things will work out.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:26 PM

26 posts, read 31,360 times
Thanks for the update! Good luck with your new home search. Virginia would love to have you. Mountains just to our west, beach to our east and at least you get the fall and spring temps and weather here, which are not extreme.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 AM

65 posts, read 65,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightStar05 View Post
Thank you everyone for their input. It’s given us a lot to think about.
We have decided to wait for my parents to retire to make a decision since they want to relo as well. We like the idea of VA but also have looked at GA. We just made a trip to Disneyworld with our two littles and I can’t imagine the humidity in the summer there (we quickly crossed off FL from the list). My husband is worried about the availability of mountain biking since he loves to do that here (PNW is the Mecca for this). Not sure about how big the mountains are over there. We will have some leeway where my husband wouldn’t have to work full time anymore so location wouldn’t be such a big issue. Just hoping and praying that things will work out.
If you're coming from Washington state, the humidity probably is not going to be much different. I did notice it was incredibly humid during the late summer months when I first visited, but as far as being *hot*, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as say Texas. Once Fall rolls around it actually dries out quite a bit.

The mountains are about an hour and a half away. Head out towards Charlottesville and you'll find them. Of course, the east coast mountains are nothing compared to west coast mountains, but they're still definitely mountains. They are very green in the spring and summer and nice and vibrant in fall. I think there should be plenty of trails to satisfy any mountain biker.

Going back to your previous comment about the people of Richmond: they're pretty friendly. Maybe not as open as, say, Austin, but definitely leaps and bounds more friendly than Atlanta, for example. I've heard that they can be cliquey, but then again so can a lot of cities. I think they're pretty genuinely chill people.

The only other thing about the city is that it's definitely a bit...older. You've got the college crowd that kind of keeps to itself (I did the same thing when I was in college) and then you've got like a bunch of older people. It's kind of weird. Richmond needs more people from like 25-35. Or maybe I'm just living in the wrong neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:27 AM

132 posts, read 191,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekZD View Post
If you're coming from Washington state, the humidity probably is not going to be much different. I did notice it was incredibly humid during the late summer months when I first visited, but as far as being *hot*, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as say Texas. Once Fall rolls around it actually dries out quite a bit.

The mountains are about an hour and a half away. Head out towards Charlottesville and you'll find them. Of course, the east coast mountains are nothing compared to west coast mountains, but they're still definitely mountains. They are very green in the spring and summer and nice and vibrant in fall. I think there should be plenty of trails to satisfy any mountain biker.

Going back to your previous comment about the people of Richmond: they're pretty friendly. Maybe not as open as, say, Austin, but definitely leaps and bounds more friendly than Atlanta, for example. I've heard that they can be cliquey, but then again so can a lot of cities. I think they're pretty genuinely chill people.

The only other thing about the city is that it's definitely a bit...older. You've got the college crowd that kind of keeps to itself (I did the same thing when I was in college) and then you've got like a bunch of older people. It's kind of weird. Richmond needs more people from like 25-35. Or maybe I'm just living in the wrong neighborhood.
What neighborhood are you in? The Near West End and Museum District feel like they have a lot of 25-35 year old people to me, and my understanding is that the Northside and Church Hill have a lot too.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 PM

70 posts, read 68,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_guy View Post
What neighborhood are you in? The Near West End and Museum District feel like they have a lot of 25-35 year old people to me, and my understanding is that the Northside and Church Hill have a lot too.
25-35? What about 25-45? I am already 47..they are all one and the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond