Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 05:19 AM

491 posts, read 393,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post
I would love if RVA could find a way to build all sorts of bars, etc along the river.

Not sure that's the look I would be choosing for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 05:26 AM

491 posts, read 393,527 times
Back in 97 Richmond has the highest murder rate per capita in the US. I've been in VA since 71 and back then coming into the city was not something we strived for. It's improved, a lot, but needs much work. If the stats in this article are to be believed it did slide again with the violent crime numbers. https://housegrail.com/most-dangerou...s-in-virginia/

Old 04-22-2022, 08:27 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I disagree. It feels small town to me.
Then Nashville could only feel like a big town in comparison but I'm sure you don't think so.

Quote:
I have been there a few times and downtown had homeless and run down areas close by. I think Richmond has a history that drags down its reputation, and it has competition from larger cities.
As far as its history and reputation, perhaps but it's definitely no Birmingham in this regard. Either way the removal of several Confederate monuments recently likely has something of a neutralizing effect to counter the hits Richmond may take over its history.

Richmond does have competition from larger cities in the region, but it definitely holds its own and is easily among the better-performing metros in its weight class.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:24 AM

509 posts, read 432,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
Having just spent a day walking around Charleston, there is no comparison. Charleston is a very walkable city with beautiful buildings, a developed waterfront, the French quarter, etc. In comparison, Richmond is a dump.
One area that Richmond excels over Charleston is affordability and residential population growth in the urban core (a far more sustainable model in the long-run). Charleston city proper is a sprawling behemoth twice the size of Richmond City and while Charleston may have grown by 30,000 people from 2010 - 2020 the only area that is really walkable, the peninsula, actually LOST 1,000 people from 2010 - 2020 Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

To make matters worse, the African American population is falling rapidly (down 16% from 2010 - 2020) in Charleston and getting pushed out by insane gentrification and displacement:

Charleston white population change (note even the white population is falling in the peninsula)

And the African American population change:

Meanwhile Richmond managed to grow its urban core most walkable areas (downtown, VCU, Shockoe Bottom, Jackson Ward, Church Hill, and Manchester) by 11,000 people or by 58% from 2010 - 2020. This is also an area pretty similar to that of the historic peninsula in Charleston (roughly 2 square miles). The African American population also fell in Richmond City, but not nearly as much as Charleston (https://citypopulation.de/en/usa/metrorichmond/)

So yeah Charleston may be walkable in a small 2-square mile area (less than 2% of its land area) on the peninsula, but this area is loosing population at a pretty rapid clip due to gentrification, displacement, conversion of homes into short-term rentals and Airbnb's, and an economy more focused on keeping tourists coming in and happy while Richmond is much more focused on creating an actual walkable/bikeable city for people who actually live there and focusing on sustainable dense residential infill in the city's urban core to bring new residents into the most walkable areas.

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2022 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 06:02 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,373,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then Nashville could only feel like a big town in comparison but I'm sure you don't think so.
Nashville feels more spread out. It doesn't feel big to me. I used to live in a big city.

Quote:
As far as its history and reputation, perhaps but it's definitely no Birmingham in this regard. Either way the removal of several Confederate monuments recently likely has something of a neutralizing effect to counter the hits Richmond may take over its history.

Richmond does have competition from larger cities in the region, but it definitely holds its own and is easily among the better-performing metros in its weight class.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond