Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 01:20 PM

12 posts, read 23,432 times

Advertisements

I’ve seen some older threads on Petersburg, VA that didn’t sound very encouraging- wondering if that’s changed at all? My husband and I are looking at a possible move to the Richmond area, but are finding the housing market there extremely competitive and expensive. Some of the housing I’ve spotted in P-burg looks lovely and certainly much more affordable. What’s life like there? Is there a downtown area or entertaining town center? Is crime as bad as previously stated? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 06:22 AM

346 posts, read 229,205 times
The suburban areas in West Petersburg, which are technically in Dinwiddie County are nice. Same for Prince George county to the east. I would advise against living in Petersburg city limits unless you are very close to Old Town, it can get rough.

Are you fleeing the mandates in Maryland? No vaccine or mask mandates here in Va. We've chosen liberty over 'papers please'.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:01 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
We've chosen liberty over 'papers please'.
Of course it all depends on which “paper” you are being asked to produce LOL!

Old 01-18-2022, 04:14 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Petersburg is equal parts charming and creepy.
It has the “bones” of a nice downtown and the city is enjoying some redevelopment success now. It seems like it could be sustainable. If you’re into renovating 200 year old houses, it’s a great place for you. People have carved out stylish lives for themselves in those downtown mansions….

Suburban Petersburg is pretty much like every working class suburb. There are nice sections with nicely maintained yards. There are Targets and Starbucks. It is really close to Richmond (20 miles from downtown to downtown) so you will have access to everything Richmond has to offer but living there is a labor of love. If can be a pretty dreary town on most days. It does occasionally buzz with energy and you can see that eventually it will become a great bedroom community for the larger Richmond of the future. But it’s so hard to gauge when exactly that will happen.

I’d personally advise against living there unless you want to take on one of those downtown houses as a passion project. They are kinda amazing (better than Richmond stock from that time, you can really see that the town was on its way before the Civil War). There’s a reason why it’s so much cheaper down there. If you can afford to live closer to Richmond your time here will be much more enjoyable.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:59 PM

Thank you you spencer114. I appreciate your thoughtful response! We are leaving a 100 year old house in Baltimore, I don’t know if we have it in us to face a 200 year old - tempting though…especially looking at the Petersburg house prices. We like city living so the goal would hopefully be to live within walking distance to the old town area.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:05 PM

Baltimore is my favorite city not named Richmond.
I think you’ll enjoy your stay in the Richmond/
Petersburg metro. It’s really very nice down here and not far away from MD (my second favorite state).
Petersburg has so much potential and people like yourself moving into the area is exactly what the city needs.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:08 AM

Petersburg needs more people but it isn't easy living by any means.

At a state level we rejected mask and vaccine mandates. We do not want busybody Karens going around to school boards and the like pressuring do-nothing bureaucrats to mask toddlers. Self-responsibility first. Government must stay out of our lives as much as possible because it's clear they only make things worse.

We breathe freely here.

It's what makes Virginia a better state than Maryland for freedom-seekers (such as yourself Nev Jones).

Welcome!

Last edited by rural & red; 01-20-2022 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-22-2022, 05:03 PM

My hope is that there is room in the Richmond area for folks who are fact and science based, who understand that masks and vaccines are part of the social contract that we have with one another as a (currently ailing) society. My reasons for leaving Maryland are situational, I certainly breath freely here in Baltimore (which despite it’s problems is a wonderful city). I look forward to making my next home in Virginia around people who are for the most part-accepting and non-divisive. We certainly don’t have to agree on everything to live together in a community. Be well everyone- thank you for your help and responses.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:28 AM

Red and rural is harmless…he’s just still a bit wond up over the last election. For all intents and purposes he is a never Trumper and is excited that there’s a Republican in office in Virginia that isn’t a total embarrassment. Of course Youngkins rejection of mask mandates isn’t exactly legal so local jurisdictions and school districts are ignoring his executive order. I wish the new governor well. I hope he’s able to stave off the crazies that would make him spend all of his political currency on culture war crap that serves no one’s interest. I hope he turns out to be like Hogan.

For the most part people in the metro area do adhere to social distancing and masking suggestions. Vaccination rates are very high too (VA is the 10th most vaccinated state, not too far off from Maryland). People tend to get along too. We’re pretty middle of the road in general.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:13 PM

Only 41.9% of Richmond City is considered fully vaccinated vs. 61% of Baltimore City and 70% of Wake County (including Raleigh, NC):

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cination-rates

Virginia is ranked fairly high on most vaccinated list due to the inclusion of Northern Va. Washington D.C. suburbs -- a region where most federal employees and contractors are, not the Richmond region that you're potentially interested in. This is just a fact. This in one reason why Richmond Public Schools rolled back their employee vaccination mandates, they'd lose too many people.

---

This is a free state, and for the next four years at least, is free from government overreach and tyranny. A great place to escape to when one remembers the reason(s) why they're escaping their own state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: