Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 02:23 PM

75 posts, read 63,806 times

Advertisements

I work in IT and I know the research triangle is great and all for that, but I have been considering a move for a long time (Well I've only been here 3 years but havent fallen in love). I've thought of more dramatic moves like Philly.

Two things that Richmond has that I like is a biking scene and less snow then Philly. But how is the biking scene? Road and gravel? I mostly ride my gravel bike but have a hardtail I'll ride a couple times a month.

I posted elsewhere on Richmond and quickly learned ya'll dont like NoVa folk infiltrating your city haha. I was considering a move out to NoVa, but Im not really into the fast paced and high expense lifestyle. I am more work to live then live to work. Richmond seems more my pace.

Im mostly into outdoorsy stuff so hiking, biking, being on the water.. You all have that river, but Triangle seems to win out with the lakes. However its not the biggest pull for me... I'd probably miss umstead, duke forest, the tobacco trail if I moved. That is the kind of riding Id hope to find in Richmond. Plus maybe be able to commute to some things via bike, but Im assuming the city requires a car for most things.

Im 29m and single with a dog. Ive considered Pitssburgh, Philly, even Denver. Richmond would be the easiest move and would take me a couple hours closer to family. I've never lived in a city larger then Durham so even Richmond would be a stepup. But I know its not as "sprawling" as the whole RTP area.

I think the CoL is about the same? I know not the same amount of jobs, but there are still plenty in Richmond.

Richmond is lower CoL then other major cities, has better weather then northern cities I mentioned, but wonder if it would really be that much of a change.

My little rant about the people I know here, which they are good people, but just noticing. Very educated, to the point I get a bit "Im so smart and have such a cool job" vibe from them. Its cool that your a Dr, a chemical engineer, duke div student, but cant we talk about something else and goof off a bit?

Just looking for something different as I will be wrapping up from IT certs next and thinking about trying something else.

Anyone make a move to Richmond and were glad they did? I've also heard people say they were bored and couldnt wait to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 06:32 AM

21 posts, read 17,764 times
Richmond is an outdoorsman's paradise; year-round flowing rivers and creeks (aka ice-free) for kayaking or jet-boating, large bass, cat and brim fish population, freshwater and saltwater fishing in either direction of I-95 bridge (it gets even swampy east in the Chickahominy), mountain bike trails in the city and at nearby Pocahontas state park, etc. You're surrounded by Central and Southside Va. with all of the stuff there and the nearest beach/mountain is <2 hours away. Beautiful and wild southern West Virginia is about four hours away.

The job economy isn't nearly as tech oriented as the Triangle is though, it's more along the lines of state government, law, finance, banking, civil/environmental eng., agricultural products and the trades. There is also quite a bit of entrepreneurial energy here, just not very tech-y, more like services SMBs.

Richmond is nothing like a Philly or a Denver though, so you have to keep your expectations realistic. It's a small city by the river with a lot of history and things to do outdoors though. It's a regional move from Durham and not very dramatic.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:24 AM

75 posts, read 63,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt of earth View Post
Richmond is an outdoorsman's paradise; year-round flowing rivers and creeks (aka ice-free) for kayaking or jet-boating, large bass, cat and brim fish population, freshwater and saltwater fishing in either direction of I-95 bridge (it gets even swampy east in the Chickahominy), mountain bike trails in the city and at nearby Pocahontas state park, etc. You're surrounded by Central and Southside Va. with all of the stuff there and the nearest beach/mountain is <2 hours away. Beautiful and wild southern West Virginia is about four hours away.

The job economy isn't nearly as tech oriented as the Triangle is though, it's more along the lines of state government, law, finance, banking, civil/environmental eng., agricultural products and the trades. There is also quite a bit of entrepreneurial energy here, just not very tech-y, more like services SMBs.

Richmond is nothing like a Philly or a Denver though, so you have to keep your expectations realistic. It's a small city by the river with a lot of history and things to do outdoors though. It's a regional move from Durham and not very dramatic.
Thanks. A quick search shows plenty of tech jobs in Richmond, but yeah wont be as much as RTP/Philly/Denver. It seems similar to Pittsburgh. Seems like plenty of jobs to find work in tech if I wanted to move, but not the top 10 places in the US.

I'll need to go check out one weekend, but the weekend after thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:43 AM

21 posts, read 17,764 times
The tech jobs here will either be in fintech (for Capital One or West Creek, etc.), at the universities or in consulting, there are no major tech companies that specialize in software/hardware like there are in the Triangle or the Silicon Valley, as far as I know. Richmond has many fortune 500 companies for a city it's size though -- quite a feat. given it's fly-under-the-radar stature.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:51 AM

406 posts, read 874,064 times
RVA is certainly very outdoor-friendly, with lots of bike trails. You can bike along trails of dilapidated industrial buildings, unfettered garbage, and homeless encampments. The scenery is very diverse!

Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
RVA is certainly very outdoor-friendly, with lots of bike trails. You can bike along trails of dilapidated industrial buildings, unfettered garbage, and homeless encampments. The scenery is very diverse!

have you even been to Richmond? this is nonsense

Old 02-07-2023, 07:42 AM

406 posts, read 874,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
have you even been to Richmond? this is nonsense
I live in the burbs and go into Richmond pretty frequently.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:42 PM

107 posts, read 121,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt of earth View Post

This is an IMO a rosy picture at best. The fishing isn't half as good as it's made to sound...and the beaches in Hampton Roads (and Hampton Roads in general) suck. Tiny, cramped, hideously overcrowded, and that nightmare of being stuck in traffic forever to get there. lol @ kayaking? Where? the James, where you can repeatedly get grounded because the water is so ridiculously low? You really need to go outside of Richmond for any worthwhile kayaking.

As for tech jobs, it is dominated by Capital One (the very worst place I ever worked and second place isn't even close) and a smattering of tech consulting companies...which I guess is OK if you don't mind the low security of contracting jobs (at places like Capital One).

You are right that it (and places nearby) have a lot of history though, and you could do worse than Richmond in various ways.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:45 PM

107 posts, read 121,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
I live in the burbs and go into Richmond pretty frequently.
You realize there's more to Richmond than the inner city, right?

In fairness, the "unfettered garbage" is spot on. I've been all over this country and never have seen a place with so many loser slugs that throw garbage anywhere.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:47 AM

86 posts, read 60,643 times
Just throwing my 2 cents in as someone who has lived in Richmond and Philadelphia. Richmond has great walking and biking paths, however once you are there for a time, they become routine. I prefer more choices in a larger city. Both have great bike shops and cyclist communities. I’m a research RN and have found a more diverse professional community in Philadelphia. It’s known for life sciences (which I’m a part of) but I like the opportunity to meet and befriend people of different walks of life and jobs.

Speaking of which, I also met my husband here which I don’t think would have happened in Richmond. In general, the cities in Virginia outside of DC are less open to others joining their social circle and a lot of people have already settled down. I was 35 when I moved to Philadelphia and 38 when I got married. I think it was a good call to go somewhere larger while I wasn’t in my 20s and that’s probably general advice for singles.

Philadelphia was better for housing; a lot of Richmond is outside where things are going on and the best restaurants, events, etc are all concentrated in one area. You can still find quiet pockets in Philadelphia that are affordable and comfortably surrounded by amenities. Richmond is absolutely better as a car owner. Street parking in Philadelphia is not a joy and I do miss the ease of pulling into my cover spot.

Overall, I would rate Philadelphia as an 8.5 and Richmond as a strong 6. Hope you find everything you’re seeking OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond