Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 PM

25 posts, read 98,507 times

Advertisements

Hello All, it seems that I have been reading a researching for weeks and can't figure it all out. My husband has relocated to Richmond for work (as of this week) and we will be joining him soon. His employer covers a month of lodging after which we will need to find a place (middle of march). We are moving from Florida, our main concern is a safe affordable apartment community (short term leases) and excellent schools where its not all about teaching to the "test" _ but making sure your child is well rounded and where the teaching staff is very involved with parents and the students.. We would like to live outside of the Richmond, in slower pace town, where traffic is not too hectic and diversity is appreciated. We are an African American family (just to explain the later statement). We are looking to purchase a home in six months, so we would rather not spend a fortune on rent.

Any information you can provide on communities, schools and churches would be greatly appreciately (we attend a Southern Baptist Church that is quite diverse and one that we truly call home).

Thanks so much, and I look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 AM

Smile Thanks

I will follow up with you soon.

Take Care

Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Desperate

Hello everyone, I was really hoping to get some feed back from all the brillant minds I see across this forum. My husband is currently in Richmond and has no clue where to begin. I really hope to get more input from this forum, it would be most appreciated.

Take Care

Old 02-14-2007, 10:36 PM

213 posts, read 1,017,420 times
The Richmond area is so big - i understand the challenge. I would start with your husband asking his co-workers. they obviously have something in common - and he can tell them what type of area you guys are looking for and get some ideas. personal references is what he needs - and while many of us have generaly ideas, he should be able to do much better with his co-workers. if his company is big enough do they have a relo dpartment? if not, even human resources might help.

what is your price range? ages of kids? time willing to commute? do you commute during traditional hours or are they flexible? what type of amenities?

richmond can be expensive or not, dpending on area. and like all areas the better the schools and lower the crime rate the more cost of living.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks Williamsburg Fan for the follow up and information, my husband works for the Railroad and he will be asking around next week. The railroad does not have a relocation department specifically. Our kids will be entering fourth grade and kindergarten, work hours for a rail road person are unpredictable so travel time could be any part of the day. I am a stay at home mom for now but will be looking into employment options once I land in Virginia, my background is in Social work. So, any tips or suggestions in that area would help. I have worked as a counselor, adoptions, foster care, academic advisor, you name it.

We are willing to commute no more than 20-25 minutes to work, my husband will be at one of the Richmond Rail yards. We like the slower pace of city life, not too rural but definetly not busy and overcrowed. Where will live at in Florida the traffic is a night mare.

We would like to stay below $900 for a two bedroom apartment (with a short term lease), we are looking to purchase in 6 months. We thought it best to learn the area for jumping into a major purchase. Some other amenities would be washer and dryer inside or hook ups, hardwood floors are a plus our children have allergies.

Thanks again and I hope I answered all of your questions.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:10 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,353,887 times
what part of richmond is your husband going to work in?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM

Smile Work Location

Hello, I am not quite sure there are a few CSXT rail yards in Richmond, so he may be assigned to one of the yards but with the rail road you may travel in between yards as well. So, that is why I said we don't mind being 20 minutes travel time from Richmond. We prefer to live outside of Richmond.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 02:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,779,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaslea1 View Post
Hello All, it seems that I have been reading a researching for weeks and can't figure it all out. My husband has relocated to Richmond for work (as of this week) and we will be joining him soon. His employer covers a month of lodging after which we will need to find a place (middle of march). We are moving from Florida, our main concern is a safe affordable apartment community (short term leases) and excellent schools where its not all about teaching to the "test" _ but making sure your child is well rounded and where the teaching staff is very involved with parents and the students.. We would like to live outside of the Richmond, in slower pace town, where traffic is not too hectic and diversity is appreciated. We are an African American family (just to explain the later statement). We are looking to purchase a home in six months, so we would rather not spend a fortune on rent.

Any information you can provide on communities, schools and churches would be greatly appreciately (we attend a Southern Baptist Church that is quite diverse and one that we truly call home).

Thanks so much, and I look forward to your responses.
You'll be in luck. Richmond has tons of Southern Baptist churches in the area Probably the largest congregation. If you like to live outside of Richmond for slower pace- you could try the east end in or New Kent County area. Also Mechanicsville is reasonably priced.

Ashland is also a nice area just about 15 min north of the city. The west end and Short Pump is becoming another northern virginia so Id avoid that area at all costs.

Here is a site that may give you some info on the community:

www.richmond.com

also try the Richmond Forums

www.richmondforums.com

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 PM

19,054 posts, read 16,864,173 times
Hello,

I relocated to the Richmond area in 98 and needed to learn from the ground up. I would recommend obtaining the Stanford 9 test scores for the area you currently live in and for the Richmond area. Because these tests have been around since my school days (60's/70's) there almost an industry standard. I found it a good way to compare apples to oranges because I knew the quality of the schools my kids were currently in.

When house hunting if I found a potential house I would look at the schools scores and if too low then it was off my list. Private school was not an option. I learned real quick which district I wanted to be in.

For your husbands job depending where he works out of will probably be the starting point where you look. I will admit though that the commute here is nothing compared to a more urban area.

Unlike some people I like the west end, if you perfer a more rural settings there are plenty of options. Chesterfield to me is too crowded and reminds me of Norfolk/Virginia Beach.

Good Luck

Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM

689 posts, read 1,609,108 times
Smile Richmond is great!

Hi! I would really recommend Chesterfield County. If your husband will be right downtown at the CSX yards, anything close to the Powhite Parkway will be pretty convenient. And that drive is MUCH better than coming in on I-64. Coming from Florida, the commute may be longer than he's used to, and there is a toll, but i worked dowtown for 10 years, and it was never more than half an hour, unless there was a serious accident. Chesterfield and Western Henrico (Short Pump) are both growing really quickly. Chesterfield is still more affordable, and the schools in western Chesterfield are excellent. The newer neighborhoods are pricey, but there are lots of neighborhoods that are 10-20 years old that are affordable. You'll also find some really diverse neighborhoods. They're also really safe. And convenient to services and amenities. We moved to the DC area about a year ago, and I'd give anything to move back. Richmond still has a small town feel, with big city amenities and conveniences. If you have any specific questions, just post them, I'll be glad to help if I can. You'll have no problem getting housing for $900. There are even some single family homes around that rate in Chesterfield. Look around Courthouse Road. Hull Street west of 288 is really congested, but is a good family area. Anything in Midlothian is pretty decent. We've owned two houses out there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond