Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 AM

15 posts, read 57,057 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a family friendly community midway between williamsburg and fort lee. I will be working at Sentara in WB and my husband will be working at fort lee. I don't want to pay more than $250k for a single family home or commute more than 30 minutes. Looking for a fun neighborhood with things to do. I don't want an area that's rural, i'm a city girl but don't want to be in the city either. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,728 times
The commute from Ft Lee to Williamsburg is about 60 miles using I 64 or 45 miles using Rt 5. Not sure what your definition of rural would be. Midway would be Charles City Courthouse ( Very Rural) or New Kent/ Providence Forge ( A little less rural ) You may want to consider living in Near Ft Lee or in the western part of James City County. Those would be the less rural areas. But one of you would have a long commute. There are a few communities to consider in New Kent VA. If You would consider a town home there are great deals in the Kentland community next to Brickshire adjacent to Royal New Kent Golf Course. Community amenities will include a pool, clubhouse and walking trails. These are very open floor plan town homes. Prices start in the low $200’s for an almost 2000 sq foot garage model.
Two other nearby communities to consider would be The Oaks near the New Kent Courthouse. A new detached home community just getting off the ground. Homes there start in the low $200’s for a 1400 sq foot 3 bedroom ranch. The builder is offering $5000 in closing costs assistance and an additional $3000 for active duty or retired military. Another builder in the Oaks is offering a 1940 sq foot 4 bedroom home for $236k. Most homes there are on lots that are almost half an acre. (.45) The Oaks is located very close to a new village community being developed next to the New Kent Courthouse. When complete New Kent Village will remind you of a European village . They have only recently started construction. Current businesses already committed to the project include a market, day care, bank, a glass blower studio, Doctors Office and a Dentist Office. The charming cottage-style homes are English inspired, Neo-Traditional, rich in detail, and environmentally conscious with “green” principles employed in their design. Prices will start at $225,000. I have to say this is one of the most well thought out community I have ever seen. It is amazing how much time and effort has been spent in the planning of New Kent Village. Inspired by towns and villages in Europe, John Crump the developer wanted to revive New Kent where his family has lived since the 1700’s. To inspire the planners and architects he flew them to Switzerland and England to see closeup what his vision was. Hopefully this will inspire other developers to follow suit.
Another up and coming community is located within The Farms of New Kent/ Viniterra/ New Kent Vineyards community The Arbors at New Kent Vineyards. The community will include a clubhouse, pool and walking trails.Located midway between Richmond and Williamsburg it’s just a stone’s throw the world-class golf,( under construction) and stunning winery at Viniterra nd the I-64 corridor. Prices there start at $259,000 for a 1980 sq foot home. Current builder incentives are $7500 in closing cost allowances.

Although it’s a long way from being finished Viniterra/ Farms of New Kent/ New Kent Vineyards is well on the way to becoming a beautiful place to live. When complete this community is planned to include more than 2,300 homes, including a major active-adult retirement community, a large variety neighborhoods, estate homes, a Rees Jones signature golf course, vineyards, a winery, country inn, a village center ( designed around the concept of Merchants Square in Colonial Williamsburg) and over 600,000 square feet of retail and office space. Numerous community amenities will complement the vast open spaces that will be preserved within and around this signature development. Build out will likely take 8-10 years to complete this 2100 acre community.
A new Wal Mart or Target is rumored to be built at exit 214 withing a few miles of The Farms of New Kent/ Viniterra. This should rapidly propel retail offerings in the area which is the one current shortcoming.

Hope this helps..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond