Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 AM

21 posts, read 111,806 times

Advertisements

I would like to know any safe neighborhoods in the Bowling Green and surrounding area to relocate and raise a family 5 yr. old. I researched a little about the LadySmith area and it appears to be a new up and coming area. Any information will be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM

I would also like to know if this area receives snow and the annual snowfall. If anyone have pics that would be nice as well.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 AM

743 posts, read 3,889,065 times
Hi,

I live in the Ladysmith area. Bowling Green is nice. It's a small town of around 1,000 people. There have been some new homes built lately around the edges of town, but for the most part you'd be looking at getting an older home if you moved there. Since it's so small, it's hard to make generalizations about the different areas. You'd really need to visit for yourself.

As far as Ladysmith goes, there's two older (like 1970's) lake communities (which are gated) called Lake Caroline and Lake Land'Or. There have been lots of new homes built recently in each community, or you could always buy an older home if you want. Homes in these communities start in the 100k's and go up from there (more expencive for water-front and such). In addition to the lake communities there are two large new communities. these are Pendleton and Ladysmith Village. Pendleton is a golf community which offers townhomes to large single family homes. There are still under 50 homes there, so it's not very established, but the golf course has been open for a while. Ladysmith Village has about 150 homes built with a clubhouse/pool, amphitheater, parks and all that. New single family homes in Ladysmith Village go from $199k to over $400k, depending on size/options and such. There is a new Elementary School in the community (First new school built in Caroline since the 70's), and that school is rated very well. (All of the Ladysmith Area K-5 kids go there).

Down in Carmel Church (Exit 104) there is a community called Belmont. Compared to the other new communities, it is fairly well established, but it doesn't have a pool yet, and there isn't much shopping in that area.

As for snow fall, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's rare for us to get any snow that sticks before christmas. (the groud stays too warm) Actually, it was just 72 degrees yesterday. Generally if we get snow, it's like 2 inches in the morning, EVERYTHING closes down, and it's melted by noon. It's been years since we've had more than a couple inches of snow at one time.

Anyways, if you have any other questions, let me know. If you want any pictures, let me know what you want pictures of, and I'll get them for you.

-Eric

Old 12-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks, Eric that was very informative. I actually went up today for an interview and I got a chance to see the Bowling Green area. It has that small town charm. I hope that Ladysmith has more to offer. I was hoping to rent for the first year and purchase a home shortly after. Are there many rental prop. in the Ladysmith area? and what else does it have to offer? are there any shopping centers in close prox. I saw that Richmond wasn't very far away does it have a nice mall or other family entertainment. I was courious to know where is Ladysmith located north, south, east or west of Bowling Green. When I visited today I came in from I-95 S and I saw the Belmont subdivision. Pics will be nice maybe if you have any of the winters there when it snows and maybe pics of the community or parks, if that not to much to ask. Thanks look forward to hearing back from you

Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM

743 posts, read 3,889,065 times
Ladysmith would have been the next exit on I-95. (You got off at Exit 104, and Ladysmith is Exit 110)

Ladysmith Road goes from Ladysmith right to Rt 207, near Bowling Green. I can drive it in 20 minutes or so. (So, Ladysmith is due-west of Bowling Green, near I-95)

Shopping in Ladysmith includes a Foodlion (grocerystore) and all of the usual surrounding stores (Dominoes, DollarGeneral, chinese place, BBQ place, dry cleanera, hair cutting place, nail salon, electronics store (was a radio shack), and so-forth. There is a business park, which houses several local business', an italian restaurant, and a new family-style restaurant and daycare. A new shopping center is being built, which will have 8 buildings total. (the first two are just about finished)

As for malls and big-box stores, to the south is Virginia Center Commons, and to the north is the Spotsylvania Town Center and Central Park (all big-box stores) in Fredericksburg. About 14 miles north of Ladysmith on Rt. 1 is a Lowes, Super Walmart, Super Target, movie theater, bowling alley, Best Buy, Staples, and all the chain restaurants you'd ever want.

As for rentals, there's a really nice house in Ladysmith Village for rent... they're asking on $1250 per month.

Here's a picture of the new public library, located in Ladysmith Village:
http://www.ladysmithvillage.com/sysi.../library_1.jpg

Here is a website with info on the new County Park, which is planned to be built in Ladysmith Village, near the new elementary school:
designforum - LADYSMITH COUNTY PARK

Here is a winter picture from someone's website, from the back of a home in Ladysmith Village:
http://www.dannyjessee.com/liveweather/snow.JPG

Here is a picture of the open-air amphitheater in Ladysmith village:
http://www.ladysmithvillage.com/sysi...itheater_1.jpg

There are concerts held at the amphitheater each summer.

Anyways, that's all for now, let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks, Eric you have been really helpful. I plan to go back up this weekend and maybe I will get a chance to look around a little more. Thanks for the Pics

Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 PM

42 posts, read 115,200 times
Default Look at schools data

Mrs NC,

I would recommend you look at the school data on Caroline Co schools before finalizing your choice to live there. Everyone is different, but for me personally, it is worth the extra commute to live in Hanover Co. and enjoy some of the best schools in the Commonwealth even though we have to pass through Bowling Green to get to work. If you want a small town feel, you can look at Ashland in Hanover Co.

I would post links to the two sites I look at for school data but the last time I did that I got a warning for posting a soliciatation (??!!) so you'll have to find it yourself. Just Google something along the lines of great schools or school digger and you'll see.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the advice I did however decide not to reside in Caroline County I looked at Hanover and Spots/Fredericksburg and I'm leaning more on the Spots/Fredericksburg they have several good Elm. schools that I feel will be beneficial to my daughters education.
If by chance you know something more about the school systems there please share. I'm looking for housing now and need to be moved at least by the second week of Jan. Rental housing suggestions would be nice as well like the best areas and low crime rate. I'm looking for a safe neighborhood at a great price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond