U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 08:57 PM

6 posts, read 26,627 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving down to Richmond sometime around June. Anyone have ideas which neighborhoods that might be most suitable for a young professional? So far I've looked into Shockoe and the Fan.

I guess the max I would like to spend is about $1k/month. As for the location it would be nice to have restaurants and some nightlife near by and maybe even a grocery store.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 PM

931 posts, read 3,614,104 times
Where will you be working, and who are you working for?

Old 12-24-2008, 01:26 PM

I'll be at MCV

Old 12-26-2008, 09:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,464,975 times
Well then that's about it. Welcome to Richmond.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM

I've been reading this forum quite a bit lately and am finally starting to get it. I'll be heading down to Richmond in a few months and need to get moving on finding an apartment.

I was down there in December and checked out a few neighborhoods. I'd say my favorite is Shockoe. Although, I have to say I was kind of surprised with the cost of rentals in the converted warehouses.. I thought things would be a bit cheaper down there. However, I think I found a pretty sick deal in the Bottom right around the 17th Street Farmers Market. Any thoughts of the area? Is it safe? Whats the nightlife/food scene around there?

I do appreciate everyones' help

Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,441,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSNYNJNC View Post
I've been reading this forum quite a bit lately and am finally starting to get it. I'll be heading down to Richmond in a few months and need to get moving on finding an apartment.

I was down there in December and checked out a few neighborhoods. I'd say my favorite is Shockoe. Although, I have to say I was kind of surprised with the cost of rentals in the converted warehouses.. I thought things would be a bit cheaper down there. However, I think I found a pretty sick deal in the Bottom right around the 17th Street Farmers Market. Any thoughts of the area? Is it safe? Whats the nightlife/food scene around there?

I do appreciate everyones' help
That area is pretty safe. The dangerous areas of Richmond are mostly along Jeff Davis HWY south of the River, and in the far East End- Upper Church Hill.

I would also reccomend The Fan. But Shockoe Slip would be a lot closer to MCV and all the goings on.

Lots of nightlife in that area- good restaurants and some coffee shops.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,511,179 times
Just browsing Craigslist for me own housing search I've come across some properties within your price range that you may like to look at.

DISCLAIMER: I, like yourself, am not originally from Richmond. That being said, hopefully other forum users can kind of filter the properties I post as being in a good or not-so-good location, etc...and I trust they will.

Great Loft Style Apartments Downtown (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1059231791.html - broken link) : $740 / 2br - Great Loft Style Apartments Downtown (Shockoe Bottom)
Seems pretty nice, but for that price it isn't really a "luxury" condo that one might want, as evident by the kitchen that leaves a bit to be desired.

Church Hill Historic Area/MCV, Very Nice Renovation. (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1058899156.html - broken link) $800 / 2br - Church Hill Historic Area/MCV, Very Nice Renovation. (419 N. 26th Street)

Free Rent Special! Great Location! Won't Last Long! (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1058878381.html - broken link) $1050 / 1br - Free Rent Special! (Near MCV/Downtown/The Bottom)

Huge 2 Bedroom with Loft! Lots of Freebies! (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1058884615.html - broken link) $1275 / 2br - Huge 2 Bedroom with Loft! Lots of Freebies! (2823 East Main Street/Church Hill/Bottom)
A bit more than you stated you wanted to pay, but if having a roommate is an option, then this may be something to consider.

Luxury 2 story loft, cable, internet, granite. RENT SPECIALS! (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1058778035.html - broken link) $975 / 2br - Luxury 2 story loft, cable, internet, granite. RENT SPECIALS! (Manchester/downtown/river)
Possibly a bit further than you wanted to be from MCV, but not really that far of a commute and closer than the Fan I would guess

Luxury lofts with granite, cable, internet included + 1 MONTH FREE (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1058755386.html - broken link) $825 / 1br - Luxury lofts with granite, cable, internet included + 1 MONTH FREE (Shockoe Bottom)
Seems pretty nice and you can see MCV from the building so I guess that pretty close.

Huge Loft Apartment, Great Views (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1058462350.html - broken link) $1000 / 2br - Huge Loft Apartment, Great Views (Downtown) Broad at Foushee

Again, hopefully fellow Richmonders can give some insight into whether or not any of the locations are desirable or less-than-desirable...because Im certainly not qualified to make such calls...

Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Finally moved to Richmond and am looking for some fun things to do. Anyone have any ideas? So far my experience in the south has been great. Every person I've met has been so nice and friendly. Certainly a big change from NY.

Thanks for your help

Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 PM

370 posts, read 943,416 times
Can you tell us more about what kind of things you are looking to do? Outdoors, cultural, dining, nightlife? Also, what part of town did you end up moving to? If you're in the City limits, there's usually a good number of options within walking/biking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: