U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,651 times

Advertisements

I am from Pittsburgh and am moving to Richmond to start my career. I was wondering where someone my age (23) might find an apartment that is close to the action. My office is downtown, it would be nice to be in that neighborhood. I think I could sacrifice in the price department for the right area. I am also worried about the crime in the city. I have been doing research, and Richmond has nearly 3 times the violent crime rate than that of Pittsburgh.... and Pittsburgh is no walk in the park.

Are there any major apartment management companies in the area? I know that when I lived in Atlanta and Charlotte, I delt with Post Properties. Is there anything comparable to that in the Richmond area?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,959,044 times
Monroe Properties, Forest City, Pierce Arrow Properties, and Pollard & Bagby are some of the bigger ones in the city.

Check out places in the Fan neighborhood, Tobacco Row, West of the Boulevard/Museum District, and Shockoe Slip / Shockoe Bottom.

Most of the crime in Richmond is highly concentrated in certain areas, usually surrounding projects.

Good luck! I worked downtown last summer and really enjoyed it.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 AM

689 posts, read 1,494,741 times
I think the crime thing in Richmond is really overblown. I lived and/or worked downtown for 12 years, some of it while I was single, and never felt in danger. Obviously at night you have to be more careful, it is a city. But you quickly learn where you can walk and where you can't. For nightlife, Tobacco Row and the warehouse apartments in the Bottom (Shockoe Bottom) can't be beat. But it is loud nights and weekends, depending on where you are. You may not care about that. These are also pricey, as apartments go in Richmond. But you can walk to work when it's nice, depending on where you'll be dowtown. The Fan and Musueum districts are also nice, and with VCU really close, will have a similar population. Lots of young professionals live in this area. Because all of these areas are considered "downtown" you do have to be more careful, you'll be closer to high risk areas than if you were in the suburbs, and you just have to keep that in mind. Don't do stupid things, like park on a dark alley when you're walking to a bar at 11 pm. Stick with populated areas. Always lock your doors, and have a deadbolt. Also, parking is at a premium, so if you find a place with off street or assigned parking, this is a big deal. Also, the near west End is a little more residential, but still within 10 minutes of the nightlife. I loved living there. Very safe, too. I was in Locke Lane, which has just gone condo, but there are lots of older brownstone-type apartments and townhouses, they may cost a little less, and parking isn't as much of an issue. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: