Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM

52 posts, read 137,391 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Richmond area in April. We have 3 children, 2 elementary and 1 high schooler. we are very concerned about finding the best schools for our children. Academics along with social and moral values. We have been researching the Woolridge, Bettie Weaver and Twin Hickory for the Elementary and the Cosby, Deep Run and Midlothian for the HIgh School. Any feedback you have would be great. we will be looking for our home based on our school choice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:30 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingli66 View Post
We are relocating to the Richmond area in April. We have 3 children, 2 elementary and 1 high schooler. we are very concerned about finding the best schools for our children. Academics along with social and moral values. We have been researching the Woolridge, Bettie Weaver and Twin Hickory for the Elementary and the Cosby, Deep Run and Midlothian for the HIgh School. Any feedback you have would be great. we will be looking for our home based on our school choice. Thanks.
Any reason why you chose those schools? I only ask because Twin Hickory is very good, but there are other schools that have slightly higher test scores and are pretty comparable (I'm thinking of Short Pump, Nuckols Farm and Shady Grove Elementaries). I'm not that knowledgeable about the Chesterfield schools, but in Western Henrico I'd look at Shady Grove, Twin Hickory, Nuckols Farm and Short Pump Elementaries (I'm sure I'm missing some other excellent ones) and Godwin or Deep Run Highs (both US News Silver Medal winners this year). Shady Grove (a National Blue Ribbon School last year) mainly serves Wyndham (although there are a handful of other small subdivisons that are assigned to Shady Grove). Wyndham feeds into Short Pump Middle (for now) and Deep Run. Twin Hickory Elementary only serves about half of the Twin Hickory subdivision (the other half goes to Colonial Trail). All of Twin Hickory feeds into Deep Run High. Anyway, I'd suggest you not limit yourself to those schools unless you have a really good reason. I'd explore the area and find a neighborhood or a house you love. You really have a lot of great schools to chose from and it seems like you're unnecessarily narrowing your choices.

www.greatschools.net

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM

52 posts, read 137,391 times
Default schools

thanks for your feedback, we are not stuck on one school I am open to hear about them all, Those are the schools that I looked at which were connected to homes. Are we making good choices with the High Schools. I will look over those sites.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingli66 View Post
thanks for your feedback, we are not stuck on one school I am open to hear about them all, Those are the schools that I looked at which were connected to homes. Are we making good choices with the High Schools. I will look over those sites.
I think the high schools you mentioned were all very good.

Parts of the Twin Hickory subdivision are walkable to both the elementary (which has a great playground) and the high school as well as the public library (which is wonderful). We're currently looking to buy (we lived in Glen Allen before and moved away and are now renting in Wyndham) and I really like that part of Twin Hickory. The only thing I don't like about it is that the neighborhood is split between two elementary schools (plus some of the newer neighborhoods zoned for Colonial Trail are too close to 295 for my taste).

Anyway, you do have a lot of choices in either Chesterfield or Western Henrico. People in this part of Virginia are very proud of how good the schools are and the parents are very involved in the schools.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Anyway, I'd suggest you not limit yourself to those schools unless you have a really good reason. I'd explore the area and find a neighborhood or a house you love. You really have a lot of great schools to chose from and it seems like you're unnecessarily narrowing your choices.
The schools you have mentioned are all great but as others have said, you don't have to limit yourself. The entire area is loaded with great neighborhoods and schools. I'm in Chesterfield so I can't speak from experience about Henrico although when we were house hunting a few years ago Deep Run area was on the short list. Midlothian and Cosby are both great schools - Midlo is older, Cosby brand new. Cosby is a little farther out so you need to decide how close to the city you need/want to be. The Robious Elementary/Middle/James River HS feeder pattern is phenomenal. Both Robious and James River are National Blue Ribbon schools for their outstading test scores etc... James River HS is right next door to Bettie Weaver although most Weaver kids go to Midlo (there is a small but growing Weaver/Robious/James River feeder pattern as new neighborhoods pop up).

Also, with all the growth in Chesterfield and the West End, redistricting is always looming somewhere so you just want to be sure you like the schools around you because things are always subject to change.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM

27 posts, read 96,610 times
Default All are great choices!

I agree with all the previous responses. All of the schools are excellent. Unfortunetly because they are so good and there has been exponential growth in those areas, especially in the West End/Wyndham area.
When we were researching areas prior to our move, we chose the Chesterfield area, The Woods at Summerford specifically, because we did not want to be around so much commercial growth and traffic. However, it has followed us here but not to the extent that the Short Pump area is experiencing. I was afraid that that the schools would be so overcrowded that many students would be in trailers, which is the case in many schools.
Personally, we looked for a quiet neighborhood with smaller teacher ratios. Not necessarily the scorecard SOL grades. My child is in Spring Run elementary and absolutely loves it. I love that the school has no trailers and low teacher/student ratios and mid 90's and up for SOL grades. The teachers are all seasoned and the value/moral emphasis is much better than I had expected from a public school. In fact, they were just featured in the Chesterfield Community paper for their work on 4 core values they are trying to instill in their students.
The truth is the entire area has great schools! I wish you the best...you can't go wrong

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Governor's Excellence in Education for 2009

This came out today. Official Site of the Governor of Virginia

Henrico County- Gayton Elementary, Nuckols Farm Elementary, Pocahontas Middle, Shady Grove Elementary, Short Pump Elementary, Short Pump Middle, Springfield Park Elementary, Tuckahoe Elementary and Twin Hickory Elementary

Chesterfield County- Bettie Weaver Elementary, Grange Hall Elementary, Midlothian High, Midlothian Middle, Robious Elementary, Robious Middle, Swift Creek Elementary, Swift Creek Middle, W.W. Gordon Elementary and Woolridge Elementary

Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,586 times
Are any of those even in richmond? I guess the midlothian ones are but I think there are some other good schools here with GREAT teachers he could have awarded.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Are any of those even in richmond? I guess the midlothian ones are but I think there are some other good schools here with GREAT teachers he could have awarded.
The Midlothian schools are in Chesterfield County (at least that's my understanding). If you click on the link, the only City of Richmond school awarded was J.E.B. Stuart Elementary. There were a total of 162 schools in the state that were recognized.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
I am so glad a previous respondent mentioned the possiblity of redistricting. PLEASE make sure you realize that in growing counties, there is always the risk of redistricting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: