Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 AM

28 posts, read 148,733 times

Advertisements

We are a family from N.J. possibly getting a job transfer to Richmond, VA. I have narrowed it down between Powhatan or Henrico county to look for housing. Can anyone give me their insight and own personal opinion as to what they feel may be better for us. What I am looking for are good, safe schools and areas to live in. I have 2 children one would be entering the high school next season and the other will be going into 5th grade. I have done alot of research and found that these two counties seem to be about the same in the school systems. If I am wrong, please let me know. Also, coming from N.J. where would we, if you want to say, "fit in"? We have family in Roseland, VA and have always loved VA. We fell in love with how pretty it is and the great southern hospitality. We have always said that one day we would love to move there and now this may be our chance. We are looking to spend in the mid 200's. From what I see online, it seems that we can get a little bit better of a home in Powhatan. We also liked how the houses are a little farther apart and on wooded lots. There also seems to be nice areas in Henrico but again. it really depends on the school system. Any input or info. would really help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Western Henrico County IMO has better schools (some of the best in the state) but your money will not go as far in this part of Henrico County and I definitely think you would be looking at a very small lot in that price range. If you do look in Henrico, I'd look at Deep Run and Godwin High Schools (both US News Silver Medal winners).

Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,967 times
These 2 areas are vastly different. Like the previous post said, I think the schools in Henrico are better. Henrico is more "suburban sprawl" and Powhatan is very rural. Henrico has malls, chain restaurants, and Target/ Wal Mart, etc., while Powhatan has a couple of Food Lions and a few family owned restaurants. Depending on where you are looking in Powhatan, you will have to drive at least 10-20 minutes (not much traffic, though) to get to Midlothian, where you will find Henrico-like sprawl.
I live in Powhatan and love the privacy, but we don't have kids yet. There is a good private (Catholic) school here called Blessed Sacrament Huguenot, but I don't know if that's doable for you. I drive 30 minutes to Henrico once or twice a week to go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Short Pump Towne Center to shop. I don't think I could deal with the traffic on that side of town on a daily basis, though.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 AM

383 posts, read 1,016,847 times
i agree - these two areas are vastly different on many levels... suburban vs rural. With that said I suggest first you decide which concept is best and then we will suggest areas within those two counties to concentrate your search

Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Without repeating jh's info which is totally correct Henrico is like living in Staten Island (and yes the traffic is sooo close). Powhatan is like living off of 25 in Nassau Co. In Powhatan you can find a house with 2 Acres of land for under 300K easily (Henrico you watch your neighbor showerand move the number to 450K). Powhatan doesn't have any real bad areas (more like older and poorer roads) the sweet spot for Powhatan is bordered by the following roads: 288,711,522,60

Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all your opinions and information. I guess I am looking for the more rural areas. I would like to live in a community and not have the houses on top of one another. Someone had said that the schools in Henrico are better. Are they that much better to pursued me to look in Henrico? I will at some point have to make my decision but this info. does help. Depending on some deciding factors, we may be coming out to look at the areas. Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankheaven View Post
Someone had said that the schools in Henrico are better. Are they that much better to pursued me to look in Henrico?
Only you and your family can make that decision. Western Henrico County (along w/ Chesterfield County) has some of the best schools in the state. Most of the neighborhoods, though, especially in your price range, have little vinyl boxes on tiny lots which doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 PM

Your right, that's not what I am looking for. Thanks again. Any feedback helps.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM

306 posts, read 689,869 times
I currently live in Chesterfield County and I lived in Henrico County. I know several people in Powhatan County. I just graduated from Midlothian High in '06. So as a "young adult", I think your children would definitely enjoy Chesterfield or Henrico. I guess since you've narrowed it down to two only, I'd go for Henrico. The Glen Allen area is beautiful and Deep Run High has very good athletics, pretty new, and the academics are good. I don't think you or your children would enjoy Powhatan too much. Henrico has Short Pump Mall and very nice restaurants and things to do. Also, it isn't too far from downtown Richmond. With a particular recent "shooting" of a Powhatan High School student, I've heard that Powhatan has increased in fights and drama (from a high school point of view). For my family, it was between Deep Run district or Midlothian District, so I'd definitely go for Deep Run (Henrico).

Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 PM

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your opinion especially getting it from a young adults point of view. You gave me alot of good points about Henrico. Both my kids are very involved with sports and the schools they currently attend here in N.J. are Blue Ribbon Schools. So this is all very important to us. It was sad to hear and kinda of shocking about the recent shooting in Powhatan, this opened my eyes a little. I will be the first to say, "never say never", but this has never happened in any of the schools that my children have attended. You very rarely even hear about fights in the school. From your knowledge, do you know if the schools down there have alot of trouble including the good schools such as Deep Run or Midlothian? Don't get me wrong, I know every state has area's in it that are good and bad. I will check the Glen Allen area out as well when I am looking at the homes online and even give Midlothian a glance. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond