U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 24,184 times

Advertisements

After a couple of house hunting trips to Richmond my husband and I have decided to rent for awhile until we can decide what part of Richmond we would like to settle in. We've found a fantastic apt/condo for rent in Byrd Park on S. Davis directly across from fountain lake. The apt. and location both seem ideal for us...close to Fan, Carytown, Maymont, downtown, etc. yet still in a parklike setting. Does anyone have any advice, warnings, etc. regarding this area? I realize that there is an "undesirable" area around Byrd Park (crime, etc.) but I'm hoping that the part of Byrd Park that we've chosen will be safe and quiet. Any opinions?

Last edited by ByeByeKY; 04-28-2009 at 07:40 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM

No opinions on living in Byrd Park? Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM

111 posts, read 406,155 times
You should like it. I've lived there for 5 years and have never had a problem. Sunday afternoons can be a little hectic with the high traffic, loud music, people washing cars around the lake. Other than that, no problems. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM

218 posts, read 790,625 times
That's a safe area. The area immediately east around Meadow Street has a bit of crime (normally not violent), but even that isn't too bad. You'll be fine to walk around during the day and, in most cases, at night. A little over a year ago a student was robbed, shot, and killed in Byrd Park, but that was really just a fluke. That type of thing does not normally happen.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the responses...We're feeling a little better about our decision.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:30 AM

383 posts, read 949,083 times
You will enjoy!!!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 AM

Well....as it turns out we may not be getting the place in Byrd Park...much to my dismay. The hubby thinks that the rent is too high, I have to say that I agree (since it's nearly $500.00 more a month then the mortgage on our brand new, 3 bed, 2 car garage house here in KY) but I was willing to make a sacrifice because the condo was gorgeous, he's not so willing apparently. So it's back to the drawing board. Any suggestions on a place to rent that accepts a 20lb dog, has at least 2 bedrooms, and is in a decent area for around $1200.00/month? I would like to be in the city (Fan, Museum, Carytown, Bryd Park, Shockoe, Bellevue, etc)...he would prefer to be in a more suburban setting (west end, Midlothian, Chesterfield, etc)...go figure. We may never find a place that suits both of us! I figure if we are going to rent for a year why not rent some cool place in the city and then we can buy the house in the suburbs next year. I'm trying to bring him over to my way of thinking but it's not been easy.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,202,440 times
This probably would be more your husband's cup of tea because it's in Short Pump, but the Flats of West Broad Village are brand new and have a very convenient location with a some stores and restaurants that are walkable. It looks like they take small dogs (I would think 20 pounds is small) but I'm not really sure what rent would be. I get how living in the city for a year might be fun, but sometimes it's better to rent where you will be buying because then you know the area inside out and can make a better decision.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,507,637 times
Yeah, the Flats at West Broad would possibly be nice for them.
My only reservation is that it still looks like nothing more than a construction zone for the most part so I guess it depends on how soon they plan to move.

From what I've seen...West Broad Village should come out nicely...
I must admit, I was a doubter at one point, thinking it would be nothing more than a cheap, cheesy, suburban imitation of urbanism. It is, of course, nothing more than a suburban imitation of urbanism..but it doesn't look as cheap and cheesy as I expected. In fact, if it weren't so far from downtown, I would give it a serious thought in my housing-hunting...

Old 05-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I remember seeing The Flats at West Broad Village while we were there last week. I guess I'll have to give those some consideration. I was really hoping to be closer to town but marriage is all about compromise, right? LOL. Off to check out the website now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond