Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM

14 posts, read 48,571 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, it looks like there are lots of knowledgeable posters here so I am interested to see what you all think. My husband and I are PCSing to Ft Lee this summer. We're in Texas right now but actually from VA and excited to be heading home. He has been stationed briefly at Lee before so knows a little about the area, but I didn't accompany him so I am flying blind.

We are looking to buy a house and trying to figure out which neighborhoods we like and where to concentrate the search. So far, I am liking some areas in Chesterfield Co - my reasons are:

- closer to Richmond, where it will likely be easier for me to find a job, plus we really love the city but don't want to live so far from post
- new construction homes (my preference)
- closer to recreational activities I am looking for (horse farms for hunter/jumper competition)

Husband however, is in love with historical districts of Petersburg. We've seen some beautiful renovations available and they are pretty tempting. He reasons that it is close to post (convenient for him and any service/facility we use on post), and hopefully as older buildings continue to be renovated, the area will be more and more desirable (easier to sell when it's time, possibly increased value of the property, etc.)

I agree with all that but worry about crime rates, school system (we don't have kids, but we would probably want to sell eventually), and I worry that it may be tougher to find a job in Petersburg. I'm in graphic design and marketing, if that helps any.

We're looking forward to coming out in June to get a feel for both areas and see what we think, but I'd love any input you experts have to offer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Hello! I would suggest renting first and then feeling out the area. Possibly a 6 month rental or less? I know you probably dont like the idea of moving twice in a year but in the end I think it will be worth it because you dont want to be stuck in an area that you arn't happy with especially given the current market you may have to wait it out a few years to get a full return on your investment. That aside.. Parts of Petersburg is going through transition and I hear those areas are quite lovely. Crime will be rough around those areas though (even though maybe not so much on your street). Personally I feel the Chester (great family oreiented neighborhoods) area or even Colonial Heights (just as close as petersburg to Ft.Lee) may be a good choice. As I said before its always nice to feel the area out for a while first before such a commitment of buying a home. Good Luck and let me know if I can help you further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwinter2 View Post
Hey guys, it looks like there are lots of knowledgeable posters here so I am interested to see what you all think. My husband and I are PCSing to Ft Lee this summer. We're in Texas right now but actually from VA and excited to be heading home. He has been stationed briefly at Lee before so knows a little about the area, but I didn't accompany him so I am flying blind.

We are looking to buy a house and trying to figure out which neighborhoods we like and where to concentrate the search. So far, I am liking some areas in Chesterfield Co - my reasons are:

- closer to Richmond, where it will likely be easier for me to find a job, plus we really love the city but don't want to live so far from post
- new construction homes (my preference)
- closer to recreational activities I am looking for (horse farms for hunter/jumper competition)

Husband however, is in love with historical districts of Petersburg. We've seen some beautiful renovations available and they are pretty tempting. He reasons that it is close to post (convenient for him and any service/facility we use on post), and hopefully as older buildings continue to be renovated, the area will be more and more desirable (easier to sell when it's time, possibly increased value of the property, etc.)

I agree with all that but worry about crime rates, school system (we don't have kids, but we would probably want to sell eventually), and I worry that it may be tougher to find a job in Petersburg. I'm in graphic design and marketing, if that helps any.

We're looking forward to coming out in June to get a feel for both areas and see what we think, but I'd love any input you experts have to offer. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
The best chance for you to find a job here will be in the West End (Glenn Allen and surroundings). But for your graphical background the pickings may be a bit slim due to the economy (look up Media General). Currently there are numerous jobs available in Retail primarily in the West End. The central place between the West End and Ft Lee would be to follow 288 and look for something between 360 and 10. As to housing I would say rent first (look up Woodlake townhouses). When you get to buying, your better deal will be to buy a medium already built home. Petersburg didn't grow well before the bubble, so there isn't much chance that it will over the the next decade. If you want a little more country then look at Amelia or Powhatan.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Thank you both for the information. I looked into rentals first off (we rent now and have been happy with it) but with a cat and a large dog, our options for renting are very limited. We may live on post for a bit first - looks like housing will be available.

I think we're pretty easy going though - as long as there aren't murders committed next door or anything, we're happy. I wouldn't have believed that I'd love Texas but our neighborhood is great (picked it after driving around for 2 days) and we've really enjoyed our time here. Others find plenty to complain about but I love it. Hopefully VA will be smooth sailing as well!

Thanks again for your advice.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
Spoken like a true military spouse! We make the best out of the cards we're dealt!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM

20 posts, read 79,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Parts of Petersburg is going through transition and I hear those areas are quite lovely. Crime will be rough around those areas though (even though maybe not so much on your street). Personally I feel the Chester (great family oreiented neighborhoods) area or even Colonial Heights (just as close as petersburg to Ft.Lee) may be a good choice.
As someone who lives in one of those lovely parts of Petersburg, you're really wrong on the crime front. It's rough in some areas, sure, but the only cops on our street in the last two years were here due to an accidental 911 hangup call. Hardly rough crime!

I find people here, especially people who live in the historic districts, to be incredibly friendly. And you can't beat the commute to Fort Lee! We're there several times a week to shop at the Commissary. Houses don't seem to have taken too much of a hit in regards to their prices, although they are staying on the market longer. Schools are bad, but most of the people we know either don't have kids (that's most of us) or use private schools. Colonial Heights isn't bad, but it's always felt a little "white trash" to me; too many Nascar flags, I think. They do have some really cute bungalows and Sears kit houses. You have more options for historic houses in Petersburg; I know a few on the market date back to the 1700s.

If you do look into Pburg more, let me know if you have any questions!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Hi Felicitile, thanks for your thoughts. Good to hear the crime is not too much of a problem for you.

This is a little OT, but just wondering... we are coming from Ft Hood and we do not frequent the commissaries here. They are usually very, very busy and run out of certain items quickly. How do you like the Lee commissary in relation to regular grocery stores? Thanks!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
I'm going to chime in on this question...

If it's not at the commissary, I normally do not purchase it. I definitely save money by shopping there. Currently they are renovating the cold cases - just finished the meat section and are working on the dairy and frozen foods. The seafood department is great! I believe it is run by Carytown Seafood, which is a Richmond company. For Christmas I pre-ordered stuffed salmon and it was fabulous!

With that being said, my only complaint is that they are closed on Mondays. Absolutely, positively HATE that. However, the installation is slated to gain 5000 active-duty troops, not including spouses, contractors, increased retirees, etc., so at some point I think that tradition will have to go by the wayside.

As to the other grocery stores, the major players are Food Lion, Kroger, Ukrops (locally owned), and Wal-Mart. The loss-leaders, which are featured on the front and back pages of the weekly flyers are normally pretty good deals (just got Pepperidge Farm goldfish for $1 each at Ukrops - normally $1.61 at the commissary), but you would definitely pay more if you used them for your primary shopping.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by onevthoki; 04-30-2009 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Typo - it's late and I was at Disney all day! :-)

Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM

20 posts, read 79,727 times
I agree, I really don't have anything negative to say about the Ft. Lee commissary! I know we save a ton by shopping there and usually get sticker shock when we have to hit a regular grocery store for something. From where I live, the commissary is actually the closest grocery store. I try to avoid shopping on payday Friday but other than that the lines aren't usually long. And the seafood really is good - onevthoki is right. We've started cooking calamari somewhat regularly and are always happy with its quality!

My husband was at Ft. Hood about five years ago and while the commissary up here is smaller it's also much nicer. I remember shopping at HEB more than I did on post.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Thank you both so much for the info - we were a little disappointed with the commissary here, but now looking forward to Ft Lee! I am all about saving money wherever possible.

You guys are teasing me with talk of seafood. I get terrible cravings for a crab cake and there is just no solution here! but I'm sure when we get back I will miss the delicious tex-mex... just can't win on that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond