Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,222 times

Advertisements

It's a shame if this is true. Ukrop's is great. I like Harris Teeter as well, but not like Ukrop's. I think being closed on Sunday and not selling alcohol was one of their greatest assests and put forth a standard and value on family that others are too greedy and wuss to do. That is definitely NOT the reason for this if it's true. They've been the top-performing grocery store until now even with the Sunday and alcohol thing, so it's proven that it doesn't harm their customer base or sales. I personally think it's more likely the farse that Food Lion is always cheaper than Ukrop's and people who believe it. Almost everything I buy (random and usual stuff) is cheaper at Ukrop's. I've seen the same frozen pizza as much as $2 more at Food Lion than Ukrop's. It's hogwash. It kind of ticks me off that Ukrop's has gotten the rep that stuff is cheaper at Food Lion. It isn't. Walmart and Target... probably. Kroger - don't know haven't shopped their much. I'm sure some things are cheaper, but not most that I've compared. All I know is if they change the chicken recipe, i'm going to go postal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM

14 posts, read 56,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintage View Post
I think being closed on Sunday and not selling alcohol was one of their greatest assests and put forth a standard and value on family that others are too greedy and wuss to do. That is definitely NOT the reason for this if it's true. They've been the top-performing grocery store until now even with the Sunday and alcohol thing, so it's proven that it doesn't harm their customer base or sales
It is admirable for Ukrops ownership to close sundays and not sell alcohol, but from a business perspective it is a poor one. For many people Sunday is really the only day they have to catch up, as more and more people work saturdays. Additionally, during football season alot of beer is sold. I think Sunday as " a day of rest" is a thought process of an earlier time. Heck, many people don't even attend Church.

As far as Harris Teeter buying up 39 stores? After more thought I find it unlikely. They don't have that many in any market they are in currently. Seems like a reach to me unless they are making a major move for the first time in their business model.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,300,363 times
Ukrop's has 27 stores (plus Joe's Market) throughout Virginia. I suspect HT would close smaller, older, less profitable locations as part of an acquisition.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM

418 posts, read 1,044,715 times
It looks like something is in the works - Best-Met Publishing Online: Headline

Old 07-14-2009, 03:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
That's a shame. Places without a liquor license generally have lower food prices. You can bet that the new owners will raise 'em.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM

14 posts, read 56,073 times
Article says Sunday is the busiest shopping day of the week for grocers. Looks like ownership is hardheaded...and that is costly

Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,302,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousthoughts View Post
Article says Sunday is the busiest shopping day of the week for grocers. Looks like ownership is hardheaded...and that is costly
Agree completely. Even tough it is sad they have to change their thinking. The days are long gone by- not being open on Sunday or not selling beer/wine are a thing of the past-if they don't change their business sales plan with the current lifestyles they will have to sell.

It's no more go to church on Sunday, have dinner in the afternoon-nothing open. Those days are gone-they have to get with the times to succeed.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,063 times
Everyone thinks that Ukrops isnt going to do well due to other stores opening well yall are wrong, because unlike other stores ukrops has more values than other store, ive been working there for almost 3 years, and everyone makes a big deal that they are not open on sundays or they dont sell alcohol...GET OVER IT! its becuase the originial owners are very religious and they see sunday as the lords day and a time for people to relax with their family and friends. Ukrops has morals. If you need something on sunday or a holiday and want alcohol so bad go elsewhere, go to walmart for that matter. im pretty sure a bunch of yall dont work sundays, why cant ukrops employees have off as well?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,675,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
That's a shame. Places without a liquor license generally have lower food prices. You can bet that the new owners will raise 'em.
Good luck with that. Ukrops is already facing a lot of competition. The grocery market in Richmond is pretty saturated and if they raise prices shoppers will go elsewhere. That's part of Ukrops' problem. Their market share has eroded as we've gotten other places to shop for groceries.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,772,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Good luck with that. Ukrops is already facing a lot of competition. The grocery market in Richmond is pretty saturated and if they raise prices shoppers will go elsewhere. That's part of Ukrops' problem. Their market share has eroded as we've gotten other places to shop for groceries.
Yeah, Richmond does seem to have a lot of grocery stores. Almost too many if you ask me. It makes me wonder how many of them can remain profitable with so much competition in the area. Then again, everyone buys groceries I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond