U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM

486 posts, read 1,819,904 times

Advertisements

Harris Teeter (Ruddick Corp.) has applied for 29 liquor licenses in the Richmond area. All of the addresses are Ukrops locations. Ukrops has yet to make a formal announcement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,420,774 times
Well..thats an interesting development.....

Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,879,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
Harris Teeter (Ruddick Corp.) has applied for 29 liquor licenses in the Richmond area. All of the addresses are Ukrops locations. Ukrops has yet to make a formal announcement.
Do you think Ukrop's is going under. That is is sad! I'm not in Richmond area but longing forward to coming back. I loved Ukrop's!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,420,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Do you think Ukrop's is going under. That is is sad! I'm not in Richmond area but longing forward to coming back. I loved Ukrop's!
I wouldn't go as far as to say going under but they are loosing some of their footing in Richmond and their Roanoke store never really took off to begin with.

Their have been rumors of Harris Teeter buying Ukrops for a while, so this news may add a bit of substance to those rumors.

The fact that they aren't open on Sundays, don't sell alcohol and the current economic situation kind of create a perfect storm to lead to their decline.

Even if Harris Teeter did buy Ukrops, I think the name would stay. Having a brand like Ukrops with a very loyal following could be very strategic on HT's part

Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,066,327 times
Do you have any sort of a link? Just curious. I'm sort of surprised it's happening so soon, but I personally didn't see Ukrops surviving as it is for too much longer. I think the Willamsburg stores and the Roanoke store were mistakes. Customer service and quality unfortunately has declined considerably since I began patronizing it in 2002 IMO. It is sad, but honestly I now buy a lot of what I used to buy at Ukrops at Trader Joes, Tom Leonards and Whole Foods now.

ETA: Maybe if HT buys Ukrops they might have the cash to build the store by Twin Hickory. I really think it was pretty stupid of Ukrops to build stores in Williamsburg and Roanoke and not have a store serving the Wyndham / Twin Hickory area. I would be so happy if there was a nice grocery store (meaning anything but FL) that I didn't have to get near Broad St. to shop at.

Last edited by sls76; 07-13-2009 at 07:00 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 07:37 PM

486 posts, read 1,819,904 times
I didn't get this info from the internet, but a google search turned this up: Alter of Freedom: Ukrops Supermarkets Selling Company?
I completely agree that Ukrops' customer service and quality of goods has declined greatly in the last few years.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,201,124 times
As an associate of Ukrop's that moved with them to Roanoke I wonder what will happen to the store here!?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 PM

741 posts, read 3,664,514 times
I did notice that Herris Teeter has a warehouse/distribution center off of the Thornburg exit, south of Fredericksburg. I was wondering why they opened it recently, since they don't have any locations close by at all... just in Northern VA and North Carolina. Maybe this is why.

I have a feeling that the Ukrops in Fredericksburg probably isn't doing too good. With Wegman's now open, and a new Super-Giant near by, I'm sure it's cutting into their business.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 PM

14 posts, read 52,166 times
I have been in Richmond for a decade. When I first moved here it was Ukrops market 100%, and then Food Lion who was known as a low cost grocer. There was also Cummunity Pride which served the Black community. Ukrops was head and shoulders above the competition for a variety of reasons such as food quality, upscale brands, organics, and customer service.

Then, Kroger and Walmart moved in the market, Food Lion upgraded many stores, and Ukrops really had a fight at their doorstep. Even more recently we have seen Fresh Market, Trader Joe, and Whole Foods enter the coveted West End market, further intensifying the competition. And just this past year Food Lion topped the list with top sales in RIC (although it should be noted they outnumber "The U" 2-1 in stores, and sell beer & wine, and are open on Sundays too. )

As a shopper of all the stores based on product and price, I find myself only going to "The U" for prepared foods and salad bar. I can get basics much cheaper at FL, Kroger, or Walmart. For example, orange juice at The U is about .40 to .50 more than FL or Kroger. Little things like kleenex boxes are .30 to .50 more. Little stuff like that makes a difference. As for "high end" stuff, meat, poultry, fish, and organic food, Whole Food and Trader Joes are better. Honestly, the only thing I really found a good reason to continue to frequent Ukrops somewhat regularly for is the fuel perks.

I work in sales in the area, so the Ukrops salad bar is convenient but that is the only reason I am in there mostly. I'm still young enough where customer service is not a big draw, as long as you don't screw up my receipt or put your hands in my food if I buy a prepared item. I could care less if you carry my bags, and feel sorry for the elderly people that have doing that job at some stores like Carytown. The point I am making is , for me, Ukrops became a place to have lunch and that's it.

It will be sad to see The U get bought out or operate under their name but have a different parent company. Richmond will lose a institution that has defined the area for decades. I like supporting local businesses, but in this ecomony it it tough to do so when you can save elsewhere. Every dollar counts. That .50 cents I saved on OJ can be used at a toll booth. That's the way I see it.

Talking to alot of people, I think my feelings are felt by others. Maybe that is why we are seeing The U clutching its chest.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 PM

14 posts, read 52,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
I did notice that Herris Teeter has a warehouse/distribution center off of the Thornburg exit, south of Fredericksburg. I was wondering why they opened it recently, since they don't have any locations close by at all... just in Northern VA and North Carolina. Maybe this is why.

I have a feeling that the Ukrops in Fredericksburg probably isn't doing too good. With Wegman's now open, and a new Super-Giant near by, I'm sure it's cutting into their business.
Great observation about the HT distribution center. I am sure that is the reason they located there. However, HT has a few stores in Charlottesville and Manassas just to let you know. As far as Wegmans, if they ever came to RIC, there would be a lot of pain for Ukrops and everyone else. That store is awesome both in price, quality, and options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond