U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,969 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to any special needs preschools in the Richmond area. I am looking to move to Richmond but haven't pinpointed a location due to my daughter's disability. I want to weigh out all the benefits of the surrounding areas. She will be 2 in January and I am looking to have her enrolled the following sept. Any advice on the best locations along with any special services in the area would also be helpful.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 PM

22 posts, read 119,522 times
You should check out the Faison School, but it's hard to say without knowing your child's disability.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2angel View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to any special needs preschools in the Richmond area. I am looking to move to Richmond but haven't pinpointed a location due to my daughter's disability. I want to weigh out all the benefits of the surrounding areas. She will be 2 in January and I am looking to have her enrolled the following sept. Any advice on the best locations along with any special services in the area would also be helpful.

Thanks
Yes there are several schools and programs in richmond 1 that is really good is called Safe Haven, not sure of the ages they offer several different programs. Its located on turner road, elkhardt, and midlothian the people that run the proogram is excellent educators, if they can not assisst you because of the age ask them to refer someone who can. Another program is called Camp Baker. Still not sure about the ages.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM

13,782 posts, read 25,402,100 times
Well, it depends on the disability....Northstar Academy, Faison, are the ones I know by name but there is one in the Mechanicsville area and another small school over near Gaskins Road in the far West End of Richmond...

I would strongly advise against you looking in the city of Richmond for programs...the city has been sued for not offering proper playground equipment, lack of supervision,etc for disabled children...

Chesterfield has some good county programs...

Good luck to you!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,969 times
I appreciate the help so far. My daughter is almost 2 but developmentally tests out at a 4-6 month level. She is completely dependant. My fear is sending her somewhere where A: she will put stuck in a corner or B: be placed with typical children and her needs will not be met. I have spoken with Richmond City and Henrico County Infant & Toddler Connection but no one has really given me a lot of advice as to facilities for placement. I may be looking at continuing to stay at home with her fulltime. In that case I would like to be in an area that is easily accessible and also safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond