Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 PM

12 posts, read 27,354 times

Advertisements

Richmond's scene is the restaurant/bar scene. I recently visited the area in September & a college friend of mine told me that now she only goes out in Richmond once a month. Why? Because most places, you will see the same people frequenting the same place all the time!

She's noticed a trend in Richmond nightlife: Relationship status people only hang with their kind or invite people out with the same status as them, there's not a lot of diversity in groups & the music scene is not her scene. Same stuff, all the time.

It gets old quick, so eventually you will have to take a trip up North for stimulating social entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:32 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,874 times
Isn't that just human nature that folks hang out with others in the same relationship status? I do find it awkward hanging out with a bunch of couples and I know couples feel weird in the singles scene. That's everywhere not just Richmond. Richmond has plenty of scenes but none of them are going to be huge. I get the feeling that wgzinthecity's friend only hangs out at the same couple of bars in the Fan and thus always sees the same people. While the Fan is a gorgeous neighborhood, the bar scene there is pretty insular, especially along the Robinson Street stretch.

Again I would recommend looking into meetup.com. There are a few biking groups there, book clubs, couples meetups, etc... it's a cheap and easy way to meet complete strangers. Do you guys road bike or mountain bike? For road biking look into (http://www.raba.org/) If you mountain bike or want to learn there are many excellent trails along the James River right in the City limits and Richmond-More (Welcome — Richmond - MORE) would be the group to consider joining. Anyways, best of luck with your search.

PS Running/fitness/sports is a pretty big thing in Richmond for younger folk. Consider joining River City Sports and Social Club. They have organized kickball, dodgeball, volleyball, etc or maybe even try your hand at SEAL Team training if you really want to go hardcore. And no you don't have to enlist

Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 AM

12 posts, read 27,354 times
Actually my friend was referring to the scene downtown. She did mention that there was a martini bar that had opened in the area, but considering how small the city of Richmond is, you will always see the same people.

I nor my friend find it "awkward" to hang with a bunch of couples/singles. She likes to socialize no matter what the status. Our main consensus was that at VCU we were in a bubble, so socializing was very different in comparison to living amongst the city natives. In the end your social scene changes, esp when college buds move away from that area.

As for the original poster, just seek out exactly what type of "social scene" you & the hubby are looking for - you may find it.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 14,264 times
Thanks for all of your feedback, I really appreciate it. I agree that couples tend to gravitate towards other couples and some social scenes can get insular, i'd just like to find a scene for people who aren't in college but don't yet have babies. i'm pretty open to what it is, just looking to meet people. i will look at meetup.com.

we have joined the downtown Y and workout there regularly. We like to road bike so i will check out the clubs you recommended. thanks again

Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 PM

92 posts, read 254,679 times
Hi aceofjades! You volunteer at Richmond Ballet? That sounds really interesting. What do you do for them? I danced from the time I was 2 until I went to college. I miss it but still love watching it.

As far as the music scene goes, The National has a descent amount of shows and I really like the venue. It's The National - Richmond, VA - Schedule if you'd like to check it out.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,346 times
Similar to the original poster, my boyfriend and I are kid-free, in our early-mid 30s and about to make the leap from our downtown Chicago lifestyle (no car, an active social life right outside our door) to Richmond. We're debating between living in Shokoe Slip/Bottom or the Fan. Any insights from the group on which would be the better place to live? We know very few people in the area and want to be in a place with an active restaurant and bar scene within walking distance that's not overrun with college kids and is relatively safe at night. Ideally, we'd be able to walk to get groceries, and go to a yoga studio or gym as well. Can Richmond deliver?

Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 PM

370 posts, read 1,009,874 times
That's a toughie. The grocery requirement would lead me to suggest Shockoe Bottom/Tobacco Row for access to The Market however the nightlife in the Bottom tends to be geared toward a younger crowd though there are some great restaurants in that area. By Chicago standards the Slip and the Bottom aren't really all that far apart though.

The Fan is more spread out but still walkable depending on where you live. Lots of good neighborhood bars/restaurants, a Gold's Gym, some yoga studios, but also more college kids and a somewhat insular crowd at the Robinson Street bars. Grocery shopping would still be an issue as the closest one would likely be in Carytown.

In the end my recommendation would be the Slip. It's more dense and you're within walking distance to one of the best beer joints you'll ever run across (Capital Alehouse), a nice restaurant/club (Bank and Vault) and many other good dining options along Cary Street, and not too terribly far from the James Center YMCA. You'd also be a 15 minute hike from The National and the Carpenter Theater. Not sure about yoga though. Are you guys going to have a car here?

I wish you the best in your transition. I was just in Chicago a couple weekends ago and loved it though it's far too big and busy for me to live in. Richmond is a much smaller city with a much slower pace. If I were you I'd take advantage of the outdoor recreational opportunities Richmond offers. Get yourselves some mountain bikes and explore Belle Isle and James River park

Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
Andrea99 and Ace,

My husband and I are mid-30s, former NYC & Cambridge, MA dwellers. We live in the Fan and would not recommend living in Shockoe -- it's a bit too... Billyburg development. The Fan and Museum District have more charm & varied housing stock, are inexpensive, and the ability to walk everywhere is great. That said, it is hard to meet people in our age group who aren't suburboconservative or busy raising kids.

PS -- if you are the type to like East Village/Nolita places, Capital Alehouse would not be your scene.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2010 at 01:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond