Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times

Advertisements

I work & live in Roanoke, VA. My husband is considering a job offer from Greensboro, NC so we are thinking of relocating somewhere in between these 2 cities. We want to reduce the commute time as much as possible so we are looking into renting either an apartment or a house along US-220. Does anyone living along that route has any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Since the towns along 220 are comparitively smaller, I haven't been able to find the needed information from the internet.
Thanks

Last edited by theluckygal; 06-16-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: wrong state name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
I work & live in Roanoke, VA. My husband is considering a job offer from Greensboro, NC so we are thinking of relocating somewhere in between these 2 cities. We want to reduce the commute time as much as possible so we are looking into renting either an apartment or a house along US-220. Does anyone living along that route has any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Since the towns along 220 are comparitively smaller, I haven't been able to find the needed information from the internet.
Thanks
That is a tough one.. long drive from Roanoke to Greensboro.. areas such as Ferrum or Basset may work

Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 AM

382 posts, read 867,841 times
How about Martinsville,VA.? It's about half way between both.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Yes I was thinking about Collinsville/Martinsville/Bassett/Rocky Mount area. If anyone lives in these towns, can you please recommend some good condos or apartments in the area? I would really appreciate it.
Also, does anyone drive for an hour to work? I have never driven more than 5min to work so not sure if this is going to be difficult, especially on US220 during winters.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
Yes I was thinking about Collinsville/Martinsville/Bassett/Rocky Mount area. If anyone lives in these towns, can you please recommend some good condos or apartments in the area? I would really appreciate it.
Also, does anyone drive for an hour to work? I have never driven more than 5min to work so not sure if this is going to be difficult, especially on US220 during winters.

I would choose Collinsville or Bassett. Rocky mount is about 25 miles north of the half way point which would leave you about 80 miles to Greensboro. Collinsville and Bassett are for the most part safe, and very affordable. Martinsville, on the other hand would have a higher crime rate than the other two, and it is about 10 minutes east of 220. I lived in Collinsville all of my adolescent years (ahh the memories). I would move back if the situation presented itself, but I doubt it will. I cannot recommend any housing, however, because I have been out of the area for about 20 years. Good Luck!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
I realize this thread is almost two months old, but I would recommend Collinsville. There are some townhouses my sister used to live in but the name escapes me. They seemed nice. If the OP is still looking I can ask her and post the name of the complex. I'm a Martinsville native and always lived in a house when I was living there so I kind of ignored apartments. I know some Commonwealth Attorneys who live in apartments in Martinsville near the Museum of Natural History. There's also a decent complex near the Patrick Henry Mall. But Collinsville is better because it has the best access to US 220.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area