Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 AM

108 posts, read 377,377 times

Advertisements

"How is the traffic in and out of the Roanoke area?"

Despite low volume, the pace of traffic is slow. Often, frustratingly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,342,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon Athena View Post
"How is the traffic in and out of the Roanoke area?"

Despite low volume, the pace of traffic is slow. Often, frustratingly so.
I come from Florida, but have to spend some time at work in the Roanoke area. US 11/460 through Salem and Roanoke is one of the most frustrating roads I have ever dealt with. Especially when you consider the relatively low population of the area

Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,044 times
Talking More seeking info than reply

I'm also from New England area. Been researching Roanoke & surrounding area to visit & possible relocate. Recently stayed with camper at Wildwood Campground in Monroe, VA. Drove down from Madison Hieghts, (Really liked Madison Hieghts)! Came into Roanoke by Rt. 220/460/221, ended up at downtown Visitor Centr. That was all good, but left Vis. Centr going west to see town, think was on Norfolk Ave/SalemAve, not sure, but sometimes driving right alongside railroad tracks. Seem to drive right into some kind of "Hood" area, like maybe bad part of town/higher crime part of town. Then seemed to stay in it until around West Riverside Drive. That was pretty nice. only had time to make that 1 drive through then out to Dixie Caverns & rt. 81. Definately don't want to sound "snobby" or judgemental and wish had more time on that trip, but, does anyone think I kind of missed out on some of the nicer areas???

Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM

696 posts, read 1,433,564 times
Yeah periculo, you pretty much missed out on all the good stuff.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,755,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Hello Virginia....I am debating a move to the Roanoke area from a smaller New England town in Connecticut. I would be making the move for a railroad job and why VA? Well it's not too far from home and I love the south. I am into the culture and pace, but Im not sure how the Roanoke area is as far as the southern culture, slower pace, ect goes. I have been down 81 but the only areas I really stayed in and experienced Virginia were in Max Meadows, Va and Williamsburg area.

To the point, my questions are...

1. What is the pace of the Roanoke area, including surrounding towns? I plan on moving to a town a little more out in the country and saw some good threads on that.

2. How impacted has this area been with new cookie cutter housing with transplants from NJ, NY, ect? (I will never buy a mcmansion on .5 acres, so don't worry lol)

3. How is the traffic in and out of the Roanoke area?

4. How much southern culture and hospitality in this area, I guess this goes along with the pace.

Any help appreciated...I have been through the area, and plan to visit but just figured I'de ask on here too.
1 Pace is slow but not unbearable. People are friendly and want to get to know you and help you.
2 Don't know. I rent. Hahahaha
3 Traffic is virtually non-existent unless you live around Botetourt.
4 There is a lot of Southern Charm, diversity and hospitality in this great town. There are always festivals, the opera performs, concerts with notable folks, nearby towns with festivals and a lot of outdoor/active lifestyle activities.

Just bring a positive attitude and you'll fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area