Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times

Advertisements

Good news!

Forbes Spotlights Lynchburg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 AM

134 posts, read 331,822 times
Other bits I'm celebrating:
  1. The new owners just got financing for putting lofts into the Piedmont Mills, plus,
  2. Kutner's car just cleared another hurdle for the X-prize--let's hope it wins, and
  3. there are more artist spaces/lofts opening every day.
But IMO, downtown needs to
  1. NOT put in meters,
  2. quiet the old guard that keeps saying "oooh: it's SCARY down there," but haven't set foot on Main in 5 years, and
  3. get a real grocery store. Whole Foods or Trader Joes in my dream world...
So happy to see all the positive press on a place that I have grown to love.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,023 times
Good for Lynchburg. Does anyone think Lynchburg should have it's own section on City Data?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 54,792 times
Lynchburg is s sleepy redneck town in the Bible belt. Stop pretending it is something else.

To enter the Forbes ranking, a city must officially enter. Most cities then hire a PR consultant to boost its ratings. Lynchburg has pursuing this ranking now for a few years to make the place looking attractive. I just got out of there.

If you love “the burg” fine, but stop luring people there. I went to University for 6 years to get out of sleepy hillbilly towns were people shoving their religion down your throat!

Two things:
- Downtown is not scary. It is boring, and while some of the buildings are beautiful, half of them are abandoned and closed up.
- PLEASE, do not give Lynchburg its own section on City Data! It does not deserve it.

Last edited by StricklandBanks; 07-29-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,322 times
Well, I guess the former NYC doctor and the nuclear engineer, and the software designer I have met that all chose to retire to L are all dummies. We will not mourn your departure. Lynchburg is on the move in a good direction and your old prejudices no longer are needed or appreciated.

As to a "real" grocery store, the new expansive Krogers in Forest is fantastic. Whole Foods is way yesterday and just overpriced. Trader Joes is always fun but you can't really live off it. Just a little niche store.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 54,792 times
Most people in Lynchburg make peanuts (and the job market is so narrow- unless you are a medical doctor or a nuclear engineer). Where will they go to retire??? Heck, people with Masters work serving coffee in Barnes & Noble. When you retire, you have probably done a lot of things in life you and want a bit slower lifestyle. Sure, Lynchburg is a very, very slow place. If you are under 55 and interested in the fun and exciting life, trying to make a decent living….Lynchburg is not for them (I am counting myself as me).

During my 3 years and 10 months in Lynchburg I met so many young professionals that ended up in Lynchburg because of family issues or because people told them what a FANTASTIC place it was. I had my job and nothing to keep me here. It is sad men you meet 30 something’s that have lost their appetite for life and seen their career go in the dump because of all this…heck, I do not know what to call it… exaggerated visions of Lynchburg that was either forced upon them or tricked into believe.

You have a responsibility here my friend. This is peoples lives, careers and mental well being we are talking about.

Over and out!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StricklandBanks View Post
Lynchburg is s sleepy redneck town in the Bible belt. Stop pretending it is something else.

To enter the Forbes ranking, a city must officially enter. Most cities then hire a PR consultant to boost its ratings. Lynchburg has pursuing this ranking now for a few years to make the place looking attractive. I just got out of there.

If you love “the burg” fine, but stop luring people there. I went to University for 6 years to get out of sleepy hillbilly towns were people shoving their religion down your throat!

Two things:
- Downtown is not scary. It is boring, and while some of the buildings are beautiful, half of them are abandoned and closed up.
- PLEASE, do not give Lynchburg its own section on City Data! It does not deserve it.

No one will EVER confuse Lynchburg with an Atlanta, Charlotte or NY. But I don't think anyone on here ever said Lynchburg was anything but a quiet, family-oriented small, Southern city. Admittedly, salaries are lower -- but, duh, so are taxes, housing, etc. A lot of the professionals I know in town will probably stay there during retirement or enjoy a summer house at SML.

So, after your six years, I'm glad you've gone elsewhere so you can be happier.

I agree with you that Lynchburg is too small for a separate forum.

Lastly, several people mentioned grocery stores. I was so sad to see the Harris Teeter leave Boonsboro. Maybe as they are spreading north, they will consider re-opening a Lynchburg store.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM

134 posts, read 331,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
As to a "real" grocery store, the new expansive Krogers in Forest is fantastic. Whole Foods is way yesterday and just overpriced. Trader Joes is always fun but you can't really live off it. Just a little niche store.
I'm saying a grocery store is needed downtown (esp. if they want people to live down here in the new lofts and embrace the ability to park a car and walk everywhere), not 15 miles out. Market on Main, Grace St. convenience and the public market don't cut it.

BTW, I've now been to the new Kroger twice. First time on a Sunday morning was very pleasant (and the selection is the best I've seen down here, although I still bring stuff back from Wegman's every other week). Second time I went on a Saturday afternoon it was filled with angry people and rude employees. Unless I really need something I can't find elsewhere, I've decided I'll stick to the Boonsboro Kroger.

EDIT: I'd be happy to see a Harris Teeter, too. I want something with a decent organic selection, hormone-free meats and good pre-made foods.

Last edited by springgrl; 07-29-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,322 times
I have lived in many of the biggest and best cities in the US--LA, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta so I have seen plenty of big city life too. Very few cities can support a downtown grocery store. Seattle just got a small one in a basement location. I doubt they have one in downtown Atlanta but nobody ever went there when I lived there. Even the vibrant town of Madison, WI with 40,000 students and lots of other people living downtown did not support a store--it closed. Just won't happen.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM

136 posts, read 344,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StricklandBanks View Post
Most people in Lynchburg make peanuts (and the job market is so narrow- unless you are a medical doctor or a nuclear engineer). Where will they go to retire??? Heck, people with Masters work serving coffee in Barnes & Noble. When you retire, you have probably done a lot of things in life you and want a bit slower lifestyle. Sure, Lynchburg is a very, very slow place. If you are under 55 and interested in the fun and exciting life, trying to make a decent living….Lynchburg is not for them (I am counting myself as me).

During my 3 years and 10 months in Lynchburg I met so many young professionals that ended up in Lynchburg because of family issues or because people told them what a FANTASTIC place it was. I had my job and nothing to keep me here. It is sad men you meet 30 something’s that have lost their appetite for life and seen their career go in the dump because of all this…heck, I do not know what to call it… exaggerated visions of Lynchburg that was either forced upon them or tricked into believe.

You have a responsibility here my friend. This is peoples lives, careers and mental well being we are talking about.

Over and out!
What do they say on Facebook 'Like!' Comment!

I was there for only a year and a half and it was the slowest, dullest, year and a half of my life! If I stayed indefinitely it would have been rut city. There is nothing unique about it except for its dullness.

Lynchburg is for three kinds of people:

1) Those desiring a quiet, slower way of life

2) Lynchburgians - Those born and bred there that have a lot of ties and don't know any different. The cliques and clans.

3) The Liberty/TRBC Cult

It's definitely not for someone in the prime of life (unless you fit into one of the top 3 categories)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area