U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM

79 posts, read 291,401 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible move to Lynchburg this summer. I have a 7 year old son, and a possible job in downtown. I prefer to live close to downtown, but have read that Boonsboro is best?
I currently gig in the Lynchburg, Roanoke, Staunton, Richmond, DC area - but of course would be looking to get involved more in my new town when I move.
I am curious about the downtown area compared to Boonsville area. Is it nice/dangerous/ghetto/expensive/etc. And how schools compare.
I hear that Liberty is huge and the Christian mindset can be oppressive. I am hoping to find others who are more open minded and laid back about that stuff. I am pretty liberal, but don't get offended by people's views (I have friends and family of all beliefs). I just don't want to be pushed out of social circles for not attending church. I also want my son to be exposed to more than one belief... is this a stretch?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,420,482 times
Downtown has a growing number of residents living in converted loft apartments. But the number is still pretty small. Adjacent are several older historic districts with many very large homes that have been rehabbed but are costly. Some of those have apts in them. Then comes the worst area just to the south.

Boonsboro is mostly professionals and has less of the conservative religious feel. Most are well educated and crime is low. Schools are the best in town. Rents are les than downtown lofts. Beautiful area too. Many stately homes. See some photos here.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,348,001 times
Boonsboro is quite close to downtown, 10-15 min drive I would guess.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM

4,751 posts, read 6,697,703 times
Boonsboro really is the best of everything. Beautiful, reasonably priced homes on winding streets with huge old trees, good school districts and a quick zip to downtown on Rivermont Avenue, out 501 to the Wards Road/Mall area, hospitals, churches, everything within five minutes. (Wow, run-on sentence but you get the idea.)

Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM

134 posts, read 312,110 times
I'm a [semi-transplanted] fan of the downtown area and I live in one of the historic districts. Biggest selling point: I can walk to the coffee shop, bar, bike trail and market. I've moved my car once in the past two weeks (to go to the train station). If it weren't for that, I'd probably have bought a place in Boonsboro. I like the homes there, too, and the area around Randolph is pretty walkable.

Not all the homes around downtown have been re-habbed, so some are still a good deal if you like spending your weekends [when you aren't gigging] working on a place (of course even re-habbed homes will have you doing that), but many of the "deals" in the districts have been snapped up over the past few years. Right now the best deals are outlier, so you have to be more discriminating if you look at them (one street is fine, another not so much). You didn't say you were looking to buy, though, so I am digressing...

There are also lots of kids in my neighborhood ages infant to teen, but it's mainly families of 4+ kids (these big houses lend themselves to that). I don't have any kids, so couldn't tell you about the schools, but I'm pretty sure the teens go to E.C. Glass. I'd say come check it out before making any decision.

Last edited by springgrl; 04-12-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM

79 posts, read 291,401 times
Thanks for the info! I went through Lynchburg on Saturday and I saw some great areas. I didn't venture off of Rivermont too much. I did drive around downtown and the surrounding area. It has some very nice streets, but then some questionable ones. Boonsboro is nice. I'm looking to rent, so I just need to keep my eye on whats available in these areas, and price. Living close to downtown would be great since that's where I would be working - but it seems sketchy in spots. I will need to spend more time looking around.
Thanks for the responses. All this info is very helpful.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM

4,751 posts, read 6,697,703 times
Thanks for coming back to update. I love to hear what people think. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area