Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:56 AM

150 posts, read 213,765 times

Advertisements

Hello All ~ I'm striking out looking for apartments online. Everything will look good until I start reading the reviews and then not so good. One was in what I thought was an excellent area (Cave Spring) only to find there was a home invasion at those apartments (along with numerous other complaints).

We are hoping to find a nice apartment in a good (safe) area to live in when we first arrive in Roanoke. This will allow us time to get familiar with the area while we house hunt.

What we're hoping for is a complex that will offer a furnished apartment for short-term lease (approx. 3 months) since we'll be moving all our stuff into storage. They will have to allow small dogs. We have two.

I would really appreciate any recommendations you can offer. Does anyone know of some really great apartment complexes? I'm not too concerned with cost at this point, just want to be in a safe area where I can walk my dogs at night (at the complex).

Are there any hotels that offer short-term lease / dogs? We are open to Salem / Vinton and anywhere in the Roanoke area.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:26 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
Hello All ~ I'm striking out looking for apartments online. Everything will look good until I start reading the reviews and then not so good. One was in what I thought was an excellent area (Cave Spring) only to find there was a home invasion at those apartments (along with numerous other complaints).

We are hoping to find a nice apartment in a good (safe) area to live in when we first arrive in Roanoke. This will allow us time to get familiar with the area while we house hunt.

What we're hoping for is a complex that will offer a furnished apartment for short-term lease (approx. 3 months) since we'll be moving all our stuff into storage. They will have to allow small dogs. We have two.

I would really appreciate any recommendations you can offer. Does anyone know of some really great apartment complexes? I'm not too concerned with cost at this point, just want to be in a safe area where I can walk my dogs at night (at the complex).

Are there any hotels that offer short-term lease / dogs? We are open to Salem / Vinton and anywhere in the Roanoke area.

Thanks so much.
We once stayed here for two months and got a short-term furnished lease at Windy Hill Key Apartments near Tanglewood area. Several of the large apartment complexes have something similar. We were very pleased at Windy Hill Key. It is close to a railroad, and very occasionally there was a late night train, but generally confined to normal hours. They did allow our cat (with a pet fee or deposit).

Old 08-24-2016, 01:48 PM

363 posts, read 557,520 times
Most apartments in Roanoke should be able to help you with a short lease. Furnished can be done, but I'm not sure which part of roaboke has more furnished options. Also cave spring is going to be one of the better areas and in my experience most reviews of apartments and people that are sour over something and try to steer people away even if it was the fault of the tenant. Online will work well, but I recommend finding a select few and taking an in person tour and the apartments and the complex. Ask people living there what they like and dislike. Cave spring is a very safe area.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:01 PM

696 posts, read 1,429,755 times
Isolated incidents notwithstanding, Cave Spring is very safe. Some might even say boring.

Furnished short-term leases can be found in South Roanoke near Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. There is also one in the Alleghany Park, a small renovated 4-unit place just west of downtown on Campbell. Perhaps one of those landlords can help direct you, since you do have pretty specific needs (furnished & pets rarely go together). I think there's a corporate furnished apartment/hotel chain out by Valley View or the airport.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times
I lived in Glade Creek Apartments for less than a year in 2012-2013, and thought they were very nice apartments, good management, and safe area. Pets are allowed and the complex is large with a grassy area which would be good for walking your dogs. I don't know the short-term lease options but you could certainly contact them to inquire.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Many thanks to all of you for your input. Windy Hill Key apartments looked promising but it was the one that was mentioned for having had a home invasion. I suppose that sort of thing could happen anywhere. The complaint was that the staff did not inform the other tenants that this had happened there which ruffled some feathers.

Glade Creek Apartments looks good also, however, I was under the impression 24012 was a sketchy area. I could be totally wrong about that. Not sure where I read that but I'll keep Glade Creek on the list.

I also came across The Orchards Apartments in 24019 but know nothing about this area in the northern part of Roanoke. Gorgeous mountain views but not sure if it's considered a good / safe area.

Thanks again to those of you who offered suggestions.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:15 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,063,476 times
I think ALL of these large complexes mentioned should stay on your list - especially since you are looking at a relatively short stay. None of them have major red flags - and actually you may find that some of them have no furnished short-term rentals available at the time you need it...

Just based on curb appeal - one that seems to stand out above the rest would be Sunscape. It has a good location, and just has that feel that it slightly a cut above the others. That isn't scientific...just the feel that I get - for what it's worth!

Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Hi Watchful ~ You were right about Sunscape. Looks like a beautiful complex with the little lake and they seem to have a lot to offer.

Since I posted this, I'm now rethinking our approach and if possible, would like to consider finding a home sooner vs later instead of spending thousands of dollars for 3 months of renting an apartment (short-term lease comes at a premium). I've narrowed down what seems like the best areas of town to settle (24018, 24014, 24015, 24019) so hoping we'll be OK in any one of them.

If things don't work out, I'll definitely be calling Sunscape.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:19 PM

16,281 posts, read 10,421,470 times
I would never consider moving to a new area without renting first to figure things out or to even learn if you would like to stay. I clicked that link and was really surprised that a 1 bedroom rents for nearly $1,000/month.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:43 AM

You're probably right but we're staying. I can't imagine we wouldn't be happy there. It seems to have everything we'd want. I've been researching the area for a year and a half and with the advice of others, have been given guidance on the most desirable areas. We really aren't that picky as long as we find a safe, quiet neighborhood near amenities. The difficult part will be finding the right house.

I was given a quote of $6,900 for a 3-month lease for a 1 bed / 1 bath furnished apartment which is what we would have done. This did include furniture, dishes, towels -- everything you would need but it did not include pet deposits.

I could probably get a new kitchen for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: