Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 18,991 times

Advertisements

Hi--I'm considering relocating to Roanoke for a job. I just graduated from college and I'm currently living in Richmond. I grew up in a very small town in SW VA, so I like the small-town feel, yet I'm still a little nervous about being a young person in Roanoke, especially after living in the Fan in Richmond. I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Are there neat places for young people to live (like the Fan in Richmond, neat old apartments w/ hardwood floors, etc).
2. Are there things for young people to do? I've been to the Grandin (sp?) Theatre area (I like that kind of stuff).
3. Is there a community feel?

My boyfriend will be coming with me, so it won't be like I'm completely alone. I know families who are happy in Roanoke, but I'm just a little nervous about relocating... I will miss running on Monument Avenue and going to places like Carytown, but I know Roanoke must have it's charms as well...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Roanoke has plenty of charm. Downtown is pretty hip nowadays and getting hipper. There are brand 1br/2br new downtown lofts to rent, and there are rental opportunities right in Grandin Village. If you lived near to Grandin Village you'd be at/near the beginning of the Roanoke River Greenway, which ties into Mill Mountain trails etc.

Sean

Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 PM

219 posts, read 877,667 times
I'm in the same boat as you....my girlfriend and I recently moved here, young professionals out of college a couple years. We've found it more difficult to meet people here than any other place either of us have lived. I attribute that to there not being many community events geared towards young professionals, lack of thriving atheletics or sports teams (haven't been to a Salem Sox game since the season has not yet started, but I am very much looking forward to that) and renting in the crap part of town. I've heard SW Roanoke, Raleigh Court area has many young professionals and we are looking to rent something around there in a few months when our current lease expires.

However, Roanoke is a very neat little city, very manageable with lots of nice scenery and parks to run, hike, ect. Come warm weather, we'd like to be at the parks with the dog every weekend. Good luck, were trying to get invovled in as much as possible, but its difficult when you work
M-F 9-5 with a struggling economy.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM

246 posts, read 782,043 times
In the warmer months there are more young professionals' events--First Fridays at Five, or the multitude of downtown festivals put on by Event Zone.

There are also lots of good ways to meet people. Check out NewVa Connects on Facebook or visit the site of the Roanoke Outdoor and Social Club. Also, if you're a tree hugger, Big Lick Green Drinks. (Big Lick is an old name for Roanoke)

Downtown, southwest Roanoke, and Old Southwest are probably the best places for young professionals to live. Downtown is the only opportunity to live in an urban setting you'll find west of Richmond. SW Roanoke skews more towards families but is still chock full of young professionals, and it has lots of parks and Grandin Village. Old Southwest is more urban and artsy.

Here are some neighborhood links:

Greater Raleigh Court (aka SW Roanoke)

GRCCL Homepage

Old Southwest

Old Southwest, Inc - Roanoke, Virginia - Roanoke's Historic Neighborhood (http://www.oldsouthwestinc.com/index.htm - broken link)

Best of luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 18,991 times
Thanks everyone...this is wonderful info and I am SO appreciative

Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 8,114 times
im getting ready to go to school in roanoke for college and im scared, coming from fairfax and george mason, that there wont be anything ever going on?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM

246 posts, read 782,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lknew View Post
im getting ready to go to school in roanoke for college and im scared, coming from fairfax and george mason, that there wont be anything ever going on?
There is always something going on in college. Doesn't matter if it's NYU or Emory and Henry.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedlady24 View Post
Hi--I'm considering relocating to Roanoke for a job. I just graduated from college and I'm currently living in Richmond. I grew up in a very small town in SW VA, so I like the small-town feel, yet I'm still a little nervous about being a young person in Roanoke, especially after living in the Fan in Richmond. I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Are there neat places for young people to live (like the Fan in Richmond, neat old apartments w/ hardwood floors, etc).
Yes...lots of older funky places with character and big front porches.
Quote:
2. Are there things for young people to do? I've been to the Grandin (sp?) Theatre area (I like that kind of stuff).
sure...lots of little places to "discover", etc. Stop in Mill Mountain Coffee downtown and check out all the stuff going on...tons of fliers on the counter, etc.
Quote:
3. Is there a community feel?
depends on the area/neighborhood. I would say that the Grandin area is very "community oriented".

Old 04-10-2009, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 65,913 times
If you are the type to sit around and wait for someone to come to your door and drag you out, you'll never find anything to do, in any community.

Roanoke, and the whole region, is an awesome place because there is so much stuff to do. Rivers, lakes, music, restaurants, biking, art (making it, not just looking at it), hiking, etc. But the key is that you have to be the type of person that likes to "DO" things, not "watch" things. This community isn't for the passive type of person.

If you want to be a spectator of life and hide in the crowd, by all means avoid our area. But, if you want to DO something and BE something, c'mon in, the water's fine.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Martin View Post
If you are the type to sit around and wait for someone to come to your door and drag you out, you'll never find anything to do, in any community.

Roanoke, and the whole region, is an awesome place because there is so much stuff to do. Rivers, lakes, music, restaurants, biking, art (making it, not just looking at it), hiking, etc. But the key is that you have to be the type of person that likes to "DO" things, not "watch" things. This community isn't for the passive type of person.

If you want to be a spectator of life and hide in the crowd, by all means avoid our area. But, if you want to DO something and BE something, c'mon in, the water's fine.
I think that's an accurate point. The Valley does not offer a lot of "spectator" types of activities (although there are some). But for folks who can entertain themselves, I think Roanoke has the potential of being another (as-yet kinda undiscovered?) Asheville-type place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area