Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM

177 posts, read 366,125 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for general info on Roanoke City schools (good/bad, which schools are worth considering teaching at for midlde and high school), as I recently interviewed for a position there to complete the school year and for fall as well. I also need info on where to consider living and which areas to avoid. Would be (potentially) relocating from eastern VA and am not that familiar with the Roanoke area or schools. Any/all info would be helpful, especially about housing and prices for both rentals for apartments and townhouses/condos, as well as available housing for sale around 140-155K.

Thank you for replying!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 AM

485 posts, read 689,598 times
You have to watch the schools you work for in Roanoke City. Patrick Henry High and its feeder schools are in general going to be above William Fleming and its feeders.

I would recommend Roanoke County, Salem City, or Botetourt County schools over even looking at city.

Housing - stick with Southwest County / Soutwest City (Raleigh Court or Crystal Spring), Botetourt or Salem. Avoid the north side of city (county is ok), Southeast, Vinton. There are some nice condos downtown in areas that have been revitalized.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
I understand why concerned parents steer away from low-performing schools.

It is sad when teachers are advised to do the same.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I understand why concerned parents steer away from low-performing schools.

It is sad when teachers are advised to do the same.
I agree. It is almost like what is public education all about anyway? If you live in a more affluent area you get to send you kid to a better public school with better teachers. Aren't kids in less affluent areas entitled to the same public education since their parents pay taxes also? Isn't there a lot of racism in SW county, Salem?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM

26 posts, read 54,070 times
I live in NW Roanoke City with my husband and toddler, and we love it. We're five minutes from downtown, the civic center, Valley View Mall, tons of restaurants with both American and ethnic foods, etc. Northern Roanoke seems to get a bad rap from everyone who DOESN'T live there. We're currently looking to sell our home and move to the SML area, but only because our commute to Moneta for work is 90 minutes a day. If work were closer to home, we'd be staying put.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM

177 posts, read 366,125 times
Thanks for the information. The interview seemed to go well and I hope to come down to the area in person in about 2 weeks to see things more in person, including the schools, to get a better feel for things. I do know from having been on job boards previously that it seems Fleming HS has had turnover of Spanish teachers the last few years, which makes me wonder how stable it may be a bit. As far as housing I am open as long as it's somewhere safe and not an awful commute to work (half hour or less) ideally. Housing preference would be at least a 2 BR/2BA townhouse or house depending on price and location. At least I've seen some things online that are affordable but need more info on the area overall. Thanks again for replying!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Aren't kids in less affluent areas entitled to the same public education since their parents pay taxes also? Isn't there a lot of racism in SW county, Salem?
Their property is assessed less because its worth less thus they pay less taxes, why should they get the same? It would only be fair if you also cut the assessments in the affluent areas down to the less affluent levels.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM

26 posts, read 54,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Their property is assessed less because its worth less thus they pay less taxes, why should they get the same? It would only be fair if you also cut the assessments in the affluent areas down to the less affluent levels.
The children can't help how much money their parents have. Why should they be "punished" with a crappy education?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times
I know two people who have worked for Roanoke city schools as Spanish teachers. Both loved/love it although they were/are at middle school level, not high school. One was a native English speaker and one a native Spanish speaker, two very different approaches but both excellent teachers. My own kids went to PH & took Spanish there and learned pretty much nothing. One of my kids took Spanish 3 during the summer at Virginia Western so that he would actually learn something. If you're a good teacher and don't have such a heavy native Spanish accent that people can actually understand what you are saying when you try to teach them, then please come to Roanoke and teach. The students deserve good teachers!

I wouldn't advise buying right away. You don't know what you want yet. With the price range you're looking in, you will have lots of options when you decide on your chosen 'hood. There are few areas in Roanoke that are awful, and most areas are quite nice. Roanoke is a small enough city that no matter which school you're working in, you'll have a short commute even if you live clear across town. So you should decide where to live based on your budget and the quality of life you're looking for (suburban feel, rural, walkable, etc.). So besides the school/job itself, what kind of living environment are you looking for?

Edited to say: Sorry, you didn't say you were a Spanish teacher, someone else talked about that & I made an assumption. So ignore that part but overall the point is the same -- if you are a good teacher, you are welcome here!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life'sABeach View Post
The children can't help how much money their parents have. Why should they be "punished" with a crappy education?
Because their parents contribute less to the system?

Why should the affluent have their kids punished with a crappy education by having the higher dollars they contribute go to the poorer kids schools?

If you want better schools improve yourself to the point you can afford to live in areas with better schools; no one is entitled to a "good education", just a "basic one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area