Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,364 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Roanoke area from Cleveland Ohio. My husband will be looking for a job. He is 23. He has done mostly factory and customer service. So is getting a job easy or difficult to get here. Also we don't have a car right at the moment. So would ne or sw or nw or se be best to live and work in? We are not concerned about crime. We want to live where there would be stores in walking or bus riding or even bicycle riding distance. We are really excited for our life here. Please help with advice. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by agannon1209; 02-16-2014 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM

60 posts, read 80,146 times
I am new to the area so I am not the best one to answer, but I live in SW and am glad I have a car. I would think that maybe downtown or even Salem would be good for you guys, but I am not positive. I would maybe google map some of the areas, zoom in, and see if there are businesses he may want to apply for and then look for housing.
Oh, up by the airport would be good too, there is a mall up there, hotels, grocery stores, etc.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 PM

363 posts, read 560,222 times
He could try to get in with the Ardagh group.. They are investing 93.5 million into a place. Maybe check out some of the call centers for customer service.. Plenty of retail if thats what customer service he is good at. It shouldn't be too hard, but he will have to put an effort in. (which I'm sure he will). If you are in the urban area of roanoke/salem/vinton then you usually can take the valley metro till you get a car. Downtown if you can afford it may be best for walking distance to places and you can catch the bus easily down there. Main shopping areas are the valley view mall area. (valley view blvd., hershburger road, cross roads area, 419/tanglewood, Towers shopping center etc, but different things are everywhere). Kroger is the main grocery chain here, but there is food lion and walmart for other options. Piggly wiggly is in the garden city area of roanoke. There is also a fresh market at towers. There are some local stores downtown for food as well as the farmers market which is great. (especially in the warmer months).

Overall you should be okay to start down here. If you have more questions ask away and I'll do my best to answer or maybe someone else can help even further.

Good luck and welcome to Roanoke!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM

216 posts, read 423,513 times
Hey Hey! Another Clevelander here. Let us know what kind of housing you all are looking for and we can help shed some light on areas and such.

Also, there is pretty decent sized Browns Backers club here. We meet at Billy's downtown every Sunday to watch the Browns play. Would be a good way to meet people from the area, network, etc.

Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: