Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM

33 posts, read 147,657 times

Advertisements

Hello

After reading a suggestion in a post a week or so ago, I searched "Sperling's Best Places" to compare the cost of living in Roanoke to my current location in Erie County Pennsylvania. While having a number of reasons for wanting to relocate, improving my family's financial picture is definately on the list. My husband is self-employed and struggling to keep things going on in this depressed area.

That being said, "Sperling's" indicated that the cost of living would be higher in Roanoke and the wages would be lower in Roanoke. The reason for the higher cost of living is directly related to the cost of housing. Every other indicator was actually lower in Roanoke. After searching "Sperling's", I searched 4 or 5 other sites including "CNN",mod cut and "bankrate.com" and each of them indicated that the cost of living would be lower in Roanoke. Does anyone have an opinion about any of these findings? Could it possibly be that the cost of housing is appreciating so quickly in the Roanoke area that it's making a big impact on the cost of living?

I do have one other concern. I currently work for a Head Start program at a local community action agency. I have worked there for a number of years and make a pretty decent wage. The same job at the community action agency in Roanoke pays 60% less!!! The one difference is that the employer in Roanoke requires an associate's degree, while mine requires a bachelor's degree. However I don't think that should correlate to such a huge difference. Any opinions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

Last edited by Yac; 01-07-2008 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,721 times
Sperling's data is suspect. Above all I would trust CNN/Money's cost of living calculator the most.

I think community action agencies have smaller budgets down here. I'm not sure, but I suspect it's because there are more churches than gas stations down here and each church is full up with folks, many of whom volunteer heavily. I suspect it would be entirely possible that you'd have to shift careers slightly if you wanted to maintain your current salary.

I just drove down from Vermont to Roanoke and what a relief it was to be home. The first 6 hours of the trip were a wee dreary. It started to lush up in PA but even then the fields that didn't have corn were pretty scrabbly. When I'm driving home to Boones Mill on I-81S, the point that signals the home stretch for me is when I enter Fairfield just before Lexington somewhere around mile marker 200. Others who travel I-81S might know about where I'm talking about. The mountains, the valleys and the green hills and forests just grab you! It must have something to do with soil changes because you can literally see the soil fertility ramp up in just a few miles. Anyway, if you happen to be driving down I-81S on your way from PA then keep your eyes peeled beginning around MM 200

Sean

Old 06-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Thanks for you response, Sean. I appreciate the fact that you're always willing to take the time to respond. It's pretty much what I wanted to hear anyways-ignore the negative info.

I actually saw the perfect job advertised at TAP yesterday. Too bad it's a year ahead of my schedule. I think I'll send a resume anyway.

My husband, son and I will be visiting the area some time next month. The logical route from where we live would take us to Beckley, WV. From there, it looks like we should take 64E. After that, would you recommend traveling 220 or Rt 311?

Thanks, Judy

Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 AM

567 posts, read 2,141,099 times
Judy,

220 would be a faster, wider and more direct route. 311 is quite scenic and mountainous. It depends on your timeframe. If you go on 311, you should stop at the Homeplace Restaurant (if you are there Thurs-Sun). It's wonderful!

From PA, wouldn't you come right down 81?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the tip Erin. We live in the northwest corner of PA, pretty much directly north of Pittsburgh, so I believe that 81 would be out of our way. I could be wrong about this though.

We'll take 220. It does look like 311 does a lot of zig-zagging through the mountains. I'm assuming that 220 is also fairly scenic

Judy

Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,721 times
I just paid attention to your route plans. I'd suggest not going into Beckley. Pick a route that gets you to Lewisburg instead. I think that reduces the mountain driving by about 30 miles. Mapquest by default suggests the Lewisburg route so give it a shot. It guestimates about 5 hours 45 minutes from Pittsburgh to downtown Roanoke.

If you aren't in a hurry and have a GPS, have it take you the shortest distance route. You'll take lots of back roads and it will take hours longer but you'll really get up close with some mountain culture

Sean

Old 06-23-2007, 11:05 AM

I see what you mean, Sean. I guess I was remembering the route we took when we went to Asheville, NC. and I can see that's further east of where we need to be.

Thanks, Judy

Old 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM

13 posts, read 64,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy lindberg View Post
Hello

After reading a suggestion in a post a week or so ago, I searched "Sperling's Best Places" to compare the cost of living in Roanoke to my current location in Erie County Pennsylvania. While having a number of reasons for wanting to relocate, improving my family's financial picture is definately on the list. My husband is self-employed and struggling to keep things going on in this depressed area.

That being said, "Sperling's" indicated that the cost of living would be higher in Roanoke and the wages would be lower in Roanoke. The reason for the higher cost of living is directly related to the cost of housing. Every other indicator was actually lower in Roanoke. After searching Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, I searched 4 or 5 other sites including "CNN", Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed and "bankrate.com" and each of them indicated that the cost of living would be lower in Roanoke. Does anyone have an opinion about any of these findings? Could it possibly be that the cost of housing is appreciating so quickly in the Roanoke area that it's making a big impact on the cost of living?

I do have one other concern. I currently work for a Head Start program at a local community action agency. I have worked there for a number of years and make a pretty decent wage. The same job at the community action agency in Roanoke pays 60% less!!! The one difference is that the employer in Roanoke requires an associate's degree, while mine requires a bachelor's degree. However I don't think that should correlate to such a huge difference. Any opinions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.
I have lived in Roanoke Valley all my life except for when I was in college in South Carolina. The cost of living compared with the salaries is high. Employers demand a lot from applicants/employees, but do not pay very well and there are not a lot of opportunities here unless you are in medical field. Also, there are lots and lots of call centers---all them typicall pay about $10-$12/hr to start. It is rough!

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-09-2008, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 19,722 times
it depends on where you live in roanoke, your lifestyle and purchase patterns... you can spend it like you are living in nothern va or be frugal like you live in southern virginia...

Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 AM

192 posts, read 631,305 times
First of all I agree with Sean about the route you are taking. Lewisburg better. Secondly, I believe my hometown has a very reasonable cost of living and though our housing market has survived better that the national average we don't have high cost housing, unless that's what you want. Pretty much it's as smease said. Take your pick - we have it all. But let me tell you that my brother moved back home from MD and has been thrilled with the cost of living. (2 children) One thing I love about Roanoke is that you can tighten your belt and yet have a lovely home and lots to do. When I was a young mother we didn't have a lot of extra money so we took full advantage of our parks, the parkway, Peaks of Otter, Mabrys Mill, Mill Mountain, and on and on. AND there is a fabulous state park at Smith Mtn Lake which has a large beach, pavillion, lifeguards and rentals. As far as job possibilities - I know they are out there, it depends on what you need - wish I could help more on that front. Best of luck!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area