Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM

125 posts, read 153,191 times

Advertisements

A native Oregonian raised in the city yet having spent the last 30 years in a rural area, I’m interested in something in-between. I’ve done acreage, and have the implements & experience, but am ready to expend less energy on land and more on enjoyment, which includes birding, hiking, photography, kayaking, garden & fruit trees and community service.

Roanoke looks solid, similar to my hometown of Portland, Ore. But spoiled by my rural experience, large cities now feel cramped… I’m liking what I ‘see’ (everything’s been online) of Rocky Mount, VA - and have combed these threads for ‘inside info’ on the ‘feel’ of the town. I like the size, and suspect there are some interesting job opportunities due to it being the county seat, but what I’d like to learn more of is ..the mentality of the community. I know.. this is a tricky subject and would rather not start a culture spat, but I found an older post describing Rocky Mount as “quirky.” Though the poster didn't define her point (and the post is old), it sounded as though she only spent a year there before moving to Roanoke... Does anyone have an opinion or experience with Rocky Mount?

My expectation and concern is a religious-leaning community less open to newcomers or progress… Honestly, having watched my hometown and state morph into an eclectic collection of ultra-progressive weirdos, I’d likely feel far more comfortable within a more conservative atmosphere … but without the religion. Have I said too much I’d likely avoid ‘Floyd,’ with what I’ve read as it's ‘hippy vibe.’ I’d equally avoid a town/ community like Lynchburg…

My home is currently on the market and should do well. I’d like a part-time job as much for something to do as for income. Though I’ve worked within education, schools are no longer important to me (though I’d likely support them). I plan to head back there and check out the entire area in about a year. Minimum requirements are: broadband internet connection (not via satellite or cell tower), a garage, enough land/ yard/ sun to grow vegetables and some dwarf fruit trees, and a welcoming community not overly churched or consisting of family clans. ~ Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:46 PM

94 posts, read 154,651 times
I visited downtown Rocky Mount the other day and it looked like new businesses were added, along with a music hall, town
market, Hospital, etc. Before Smith Mountain Lake became a vacation home magnet for affluent folks from Northern Va,
Franklin County was very much like Mayberry. There is a large farming community of German Baptists who have always
been the hallmark there who farm and they own businesses of all kinds. They tend to not mix with "outsiders" unless you are part of their clan. Franklin County also has a reputation of being the "Moonshine Capital" and there was an exhibit at a
Local museum. Local folks do not bring up the subject. It is definitely not the Floyd vibe. Today, Rocky Mount of today has
become a town with many different types of people. Many people commute to Roanoke for work, shopping, medical, etc.
The "Lake" as we call it has created a pulse for Rocky Mount. It's a nice place in my opinion. Good Luck!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:19 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
The "German Baptists" are an interesting bunch - think more like Mennonite - very peaceful, industrious folks - very simple dress - source of great food products! Not like "pushy evangelical" types.

"Old Order Brethren Still Flourish in Roanoke"

Boone's Country Store

Last edited by Watchful; 04-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: clarified links

Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 PM

94 posts, read 154,651 times
Thanks for the info on Boones Store in Boones Mill. I recently noticed a large settlement of Mennonites up the valley
Around Harrionsburg. The town of Weyers Cave has several bakeries, general stores of homemade goods.
The locals were very friendly too!!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:02 PM

Thank you, both. Actually, or so far, Rocky Mount & surrounds sound about perfect. I’ve always admired the Mennonites and Amish, yet wondered how they’d fare if incorporating some modern technology? Seems the German Baptists have done just that. It really is ‘the pushy’ religious type that bother me, otherwise I’m willing to listen, and learn. And thanks for the links, Watchful.

The Master Gardeners link is right up my alley! I’ve led pruning seminars for our OSU Master Gardeners program, as well as having taught advanced fruit tree grafting classes... Sounds like a healthy group!

And funny you’d mentioned ‘Mayberry,’ Mountain Living, that’s one of the descriptions of ‘the area’ that, while some laughed, I found endearing. I also get that it’s changed, but that’s to be expected. And allowing some of the ‘NOVA crowd’ to happily part with their money sounds like a good deal, too

Moonshine… I was watching a youtube video on property in the area when the guy focused his camera on a couple of long metal ‘tubes’ nearly buried in a creek. He said they were 30 foot ‘submarine stills,’ and that there were three of them buried in there! Actually, that’s a level of history I’d love to experience. Here on the West Coast ...our history doesn't go back very far. Though I’d prefer a dark beer over a whisky, it sounds like Pepsi is the commodity drink nowadays…

I’ve been watching the weather-cam at Rocky Mount high school for months and was shocked by the frigid cold you all experienced this winter. But that’s all charted out for comparison ... most importantly, do you get fireflies in Roanoke..? I’ve never seen any

So far, I’m excited. With a German-Swiss last name and heritage, if the ‘quirkiest’ part of Rocky Mount are some respectable Old-order German Baptists, again, perfect.

I’m still open to any other comments or commentary ~

Old 10-01-2021, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,233 times
Any update to this post more into 2021? Does the area keeps the same vibe explained in 2015?

Old 02-18-2024, 05:12 PM

…wow.. Nearly nine years ago! My place sold well in Oregon, and since the recovery hadn’t hit over east, did well on a place in …Floyd VA. Kept watching a well built & remodeled place’s price go down ..all summer, to the point I finally snagged it! ..a comparable place in Oregon would have sold for nearly 3 times as much.

All’s well. I visited OR for the first time in 8 years last August. Felt wonderful, not too much change.. Miss the OR Coast, the ‘Hills of Yam,’ and even Portland, my hometown. Don’t miss the rain, but have traded that for cold & humidity. Never had A/C in OR ..but couldn’t live without it over here.. Even at 2,400 feet, near ‘downtown’ Floyd, summers feel real sticky to me.

Bought a couple motorcycles, so do a lot of riding on the magnificent Blue Ridge Parkway (6 miles away) ..and the labyrinth of paved & unpaved backroads. It’s addicting! Found work so soon I didn’t have long enough to play … and work remains.. though, I’m easing into semi-retirement.

The community is just that, a community. And quite amazing. Those having set up Communes here in the 60’s & 70’s now have grandchildren well integrated into the fabric of the county. Seems it all revolves around it’s cool summertime elevation, lots of vacation homes, Retirees moving to those homes.. Proximity to Roanoke’s little airport, Interstate’s 77 & 81, and the ..cultivated country music scene, exemplified by The Country Store and it’s ongoing and expanding events.

The long-time locals like to show their colors, and still have ‘their events,’ but have come to respect newcomers … as the location & reputation of the eclectic community has easily tripled their home & land values.. Prettymuch a moderate, I can hang with either extreme ..if not literally, with any.. I like it, and feel, for me, it was a sound move.

Can’t get family or friends from Oregon to do more than visit, though.. All still in OR ..racing like rats. I predict a return to the East, though.. The West Coast is jammed, too expensive ..and where I came from, due for a devastating subduction zone earthquake.. And when pressed, I attempt to explain to folks, that’s why I’m hear ..and not overlooking Tillamook Bay & the Pacific Ocean…

There, you’re updated

Old 02-19-2024, 10:28 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Oregone, thanks for the update on your nearly a decade relocation to the Roanoke valley.

A family member has just begun a home search of the area in anticipation of a promotion to Roanoke in the next few months.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:21 PM

38 posts, read 32,694 times
I love that you came back to provide an update all of these years later. Often times I wonder what happened with all of the people looking to relocate and if the move was a good one. We're still searching for our place for the next chapter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area