Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 09:23 PM

364 posts, read 277,475 times

Advertisements

What's best area to find a 3/4 bedroom home 2/3 bathroom home for under 200k that's also in pretty good school district that ALSO is not in a neighborhood I want something a little more country.Prefer southeast or west of Roanoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:27 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
What's best area to find a 3/4 bedroom home 2/3 bathroom home for under 200k that's also in pretty good school district that ALSO is not in a neighborhood I want something a little more country.Prefer southeast or west of Roanoke.

"Not in a neighborhood" -- does that mean you want a large tract of land around the house provided total buffer from any neighbors -- of course that will drive up the price considerably.

Or do you just mean where the houses are not close together like a suburb....a little more spaced apart?

Old 05-03-2015, 06:38 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,601 times
Franklin County

Old 05-03-2015, 07:31 AM

363 posts, read 557,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Franklin County
Maybe. The problem is when you need land around the house. Land will drive the cost up. Also I'm thinking to get closer to the price you become farther from the city amenities. I'm not sure how Franklin county schools are rated, but I know the better schools in the area are within suburban areas. Salem, cave spring, hidden valley etc.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:00 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,601 times
I think Franklin County would get the op close to their requirements. I think it might be tough to hit perfectly on all of them. School ratings can be subjective. Close parental involvement in even a mediocre school (and I do not consider Franklin County schools to be bad...we lived there and our daughter attended) will equal the successes of a "higher rated" school system.
But for a house that is not in a "neighborhood", I'd look to Franklin County. But I'd also consider the Troutville area, Catawba (north of Salem) area, etc. Even Garden City would be well worth a look.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:16 PM

364 posts, read 277,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
"Not in a neighborhood" -- does that mean you want a large tract of land around the house provided total buffer from any neighbors -- of course that will drive up the price considerably.

Or do you just mean where the houses are not close together like a suburb....a little more spaced apart?
Both would be fine....in a perfect world I would not see my neighbors home or hear them at all...love privacy but as a first time home I would settle for not being right on top of each other and at least a 1/4 acre lot. Just hate these new cookie cutter subdivisions etc.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Both would be fine....in a perfect world I would not see my neighbors home or hear them at all...love privacy but as a first time home I would settle for not being right on top of each other and at least a 1/4 acre lot. Just hate these new cookie cutter subdivisions etc.
One of the advantages of Roanoke is that you can be very, very close to the city and still be semi-rural.

I live in the southeast Roanoke County area and there are properties that are a perfect fit to what you are describing...and we are literally 3.5 miles from the heart of downtown. To many people, that makes a perfect blend of urban accessibility and semi-rural atmosphere.

As others have mentioned, the outlying counties like Franklin and Botetourt and Bedford also offer many options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area