Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:55 PM

259 posts, read 704,081 times

Advertisements

I've lived in west MI for a few years and am wondering how the humidity compares? And the mosquitoes?

I've heard some good things about Roanoke being breezy in the summer - but am curious if that includes surrounding areas like daleville (probably?).

I've read so many mixed answers in threads on the humidity and mosquitoes that I couldn't get a clear picture of either for Roanoke.

Having lived in UT most of my life I have been very very spoiled to be dry and relatively 'bugless'. We are considering a move to the Roanoke area to get more land and be outdoors.

My main concern is how much we will actually be able to enjoy the outdoors in the summer (hiding inside with the AC or swatting hoards of mosquitoes?). It was never unreasonable in either of these in west MI (bad days were very few).. so wondering how it compares or just in general your opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
We recently moved here from WI and now live in Forest, VA (about 45-50 min to Roanoke). There are a lot of bugs! But surprisingly few mosqiotoes compared to WI where they were horrible and kept me a prisoner in my home. The humidity comes and goes, but certainly not as dry as UT (I lived there for ten years). But I have been able to enjoy the outdoors so much more than in WI. I don't care for the heat and am happy to say there have only been a handful of days that I considered too hot to enjoy. I'm looking forward to the shorter winter season for sure!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:27 AM

That's really encouraging to read. I have family in northern WI and the mosquitoes we're unbelievable at times. Not something I could ever get used to. I love the idea of a shorter milder winter too. MI and UT winters were not much different, funny enough. Our May in UT this year was mostly 60's and rain, with mountain weather you never know.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:52 PM

363 posts, read 557,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
That's really encouraging to read. I have family in northern WI and the mosquitoes we're unbelievable at times. Not something I could ever get used to. I love the idea of a shorter milder winter too. MI and UT winters were not much different, funny enough. Our May in UT this year was mostly 60's and rain, with mountain weather you never know.
For comparison our may this year began around 70 and quickly rose to avg temps around 80 or so. Some days in the upper 80s others in the 70s.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:41 AM

I'd love to hear more thoughts on mosquitoes and humidity for the area.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:05 PM

696 posts, read 1,429,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
I've read so many mixed answers in threads on the humidity and mosquitoes that I couldn't get a clear picture of either for Roanoke.
That's because it's really highly subjective. If you're used to a dry climate, the entire east coast is going to feel way too humid. I'm from DC where we sweat even while showering even with the AC on, so to me Roanoke is vastly better.

You'll find an objective comparison more helpful. This one from Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed puts the "comfort index" about the same between Roanoke and Battle Creek.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 06:19 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
The locals occasionally talk about how humid it is. Having moved here from the Houston area, I just giggle.

But I still remember reading about this board about five years ago - some great posts by seanpecor - which referenced some helpful thoughts about humidity in this area!

>>The humidity ranges in VA. My father in-law grew up in Arlington and called it a quagmire of heat and humidity during the summer. His own experience when he visits here during the summer is that it's less humid here and a light omni-present breeze helps make the heat more enjoyable.

>>As far as humidity goes, I'm not sure where you might be coming from, but the humidity levels are higher up North. You have wetter air up there and (alot) less sun. But Roanoke summers will often reach the high 80s to mid 90s, and our summer heat can last from June into September, so the humidity will be felt for a longer duration. That said, we're not talking South Carolina hot and humid, nor are we talking Northern Virginia swamp air. It's not endless summer days in the 90s with thick wet air and people living in their air conditioned boxes. If you spend an hour or more outdoors every day, and don't crank your A/C down to 65F, then your body just naturally adjusts. We keep our A/C set to 78F in the summer, which runs the system just enough to dry out the indoor air and make it quite comfortable.

>>Roanoke will get you approximately 3 months of each season. Yes, the summers will be warmer than in Vermont. In July you will often see temperatures in the 80s and 90s. Technically, though, most of Vermont is more humid than Roanoke is, so the temperature differential is somewhat muted. And you get breaks in the heat down here as well. In fact, during the summer it seems like weather tracks in Roanoke much in the same was as it does in Vermont. For example, say it's July, and a warm spell pushes up from the south on a Monday and raises daytime highs from 80F to 90F in Roanoke. On a Wednesday in Vermont, you'd see daytime highs raise from 72F to 82F. In other words, warm southern air will warm up Roanoke first before making its way to Vermont a couple of days later. In general, it will be about 8 degrees warmer in Roanoke during the summer. For example, it will hit 80F in Roanoke today and in Burlington it is forecast to reach 72F. But you'll get big differences on occasion also. Such as on Monday, when it will hit 74F in Roanoke but only 60F in Burlington. The temperature difference grows substantially during winter. Instead of being 8 degrees warmer, it will often be 10-12 degrees warmer in Roanoke, and when cold northern air drives Vermont temperatures down into the single digits, it will still reach a high of 30F or so in Roanoke. In fact, there are only a handful of days during the winter in Roanoke when it will not rise above 32F. In summary, the weather in Vermont can suck for 6 months out of the year if you find it difficult to tolerate cold dreary weather. By contrast, weather in Roanoke will suck for 1 month out of the year if you find it hard to tolerate hot humid weather. If you prefer a more balanced climate, Roanoke simply wins hands down.

>>I'm perfectly comfortable with the humidity levels in SWVA. And I work outside about 20 hours a week entirely by choice. If a person lives in SWVA full-time indoors with the A/C cranked down to 68F during the summer then perhaps their body isn't rigged for living in a temperate climate. They're either overdressed or overfed or a wee bit of both All kidding aside, everyone should be able to find a place where they're happy. Virginia for me is a happy medium. Las Vegas is too dry, Florida is too humid and altogether too hot. And I'm an amateur landscaper, gardener and horse farmer. Virginia is lush and green because of it's rainfall and humidity, not despite it. Our many state master gardener and master naturalist programs are a tribute to our awesome growing climate. And from a horseman's perspective, you can keep 20 horses on 40 well managed acres in Virginia, but you'd need 400 acres AT LEAST in Arizona to keep that many without supplementing their diet. At least. Whenever I travel out West I get homesick in days; everything is so brown. It's like somebody dialed down the saturation and hue levels in my eyes. I don't think I could ever get used to that. On the other hand, many others look at those brown vistas and see the finer details that they themselves cherish. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:12 PM

Watchful, thank you so much for gathering and sharing that. Without any travel to the east coast comparing is about all I can do. I'm not even sure we'll get out there before moving so I'd like to get the best feel for it I can from locals, who can also compare it to similar places.

I think what I'm hearing is that east coast humidity is worse than WI/MI. I have never been to the east so this is foreign to me. BUT I'm trying to grasp if the special proximity and elevation of Roanoke makes it more similar to what I've experienced in the midwest (or better).

And then the jury's still out on the mosquitoes - which I assume is worse in lower/water areas so I suppose that it's all relative but locals experiences will help me get a better picture.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Having spent a lot of summers in Michigan I'd say the mosquitoes are way better anywhere in the east, those bad boys were brutal up there!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 6,417 times
I grew up in Michigan before moving to Roanoke several years ago. The weather couldn't be more different. In Michigan, as you mentioned, you'll fight gray skies, mosquitoes, and cold winters. Roanoke offers all four seasons, but the weather is much more mild, thanks to the mountains. Plus, you don't get the mosquitoes or humidity in the summer. It's a really beautiful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area