Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:33 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
Personally, I’m moving to Floyd… a rocks throw away.. but not as close to the transportation corridor that I-81 is.
Wow I remember that Floyd did not impress you all that much at first....I would love to hear some more thoughts on Floyd and why you are headed that direction!

As in...

>>Floyd seemed rough in comparison, if ..casual… And, small. Though ‘in the country,’ not a lot of room to breath, but kinda cloistered into the sameness of their fabricated community… Blacksburg was very relaxing in comparison

>>my hike around the neighborhood wasn’t all that impressive…Free ranging dogs, lots of trailer ..homes, gravel roads and abandoned houses is what I found in Floyd. And that road back to Roanoke/ Salem, over that massive mountain ..never again.

>>I’d likely avoid ‘Floyd,’ with what I’ve read as it's ‘hippy vibe.’

It would be really interesting to hear more from you - maybe on the Floyd thread!

//www.city-data.com/forum/roano...-magazine.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 11:31 AM

238 posts, read 338,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NJ View Post
I'm curious about the reference to the Smith Mountain Lake folks. My wife and I are considering Bedford County as a potential new home following retirement. The real estate websites show some really nice properties, some with reasonable prices, in the lake area. Is there something 'special' about the residents in those parts?
Franklin County is made up of rural farmers, affluent lake residents, Dunkards(German Baptist version of the Mennonites)
and good 'ol boys who like moonshine. The moonshine heritage of Franklin County has secretly named it "moonshine capital
of the world". From what I have heard many of the Lake people, Mennonites do not want Franklin County to get the reputation
of being a moonshine capital. By all Means, SML is a beautiful place. The prices are attractive now. I think moving there is
a great idea!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
Deschutes ...if you’re watching - this Oregonian has relocated (or is in the process of) to Virginia. And being that two of my favorite beers, Black Butte & Mirror Pond, need to be readily available to this side of the nation - from all I’ve seen of the region (roaming the hills for 5 months) - Roanoke would be an excellent location choice!

Personally, I’m moving to Floyd… a rocks throw away.. but not as close to the transportation corridor that I-81 is. And Asheville NC - too rugged, like navigating the Cascades.. Cool folks, but too isolated and treacherous. Tennessee, not East enough … and South Carolina.. too far South… W/ hurricanes, flooding and earthquake potential..

Roanoke’s ready. They’ve the ‘industrial capacity,’ an educated workforce, cheap (as compared to Ore.) land… and already a ‘craft-brew vibe.’ I’m a Native Portlander… so you Lava Bears may be thinkin a bit different ..but in the scheme of things - you’d not go crazy wrong in VA or Roanoke. It’s ripe. I bit!
I think you have hit the mark for Deschutes. May I add one more reason why Deschutes should come to Roanoke? Roanoke
is at a turning point with the railroad fading away, major job losses and no new announcements of companies coming here
in the past few years. In other words, Roanoke is in desperate need of new jobs as we are near last in U.S. for job growth.
If we continue on this path we'll see home prices decline, more crime, more homeless and more younger people leave.
I believe if Deschutes is an honorable Company it has a responsibility to come here and provide these jobs to help the economy.
The Deschutes2Rke movement has convinced them they will be welcome here, what more can be done?

Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 AM

192 posts, read 256,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
I believe if Deschutes is an honorable Company it has a responsibility to come here and provide these jobs to help the economy.
Not arguing pro or con on Deschutes having a Roanoke presence, although I believe it may be a good business move for them to do so.

That said, it is hardly their responsibility, or that of any company not in residence, to provide jobs to help residents. Their responsibility is to their major investors (the family) and their current employees who participate in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:12 AM

125 posts, read 153,407 times
I wouldn’t steer Deschutes wrong, and have poked around Roanoke enough to understand it’s ready for some reinvestment. Though I was purchasing their product up in DC this summer, a more thorough distribution network and higher production is for my benefit - too

So incase they weren’t following this discussion, I forwarded the link, along with my post; here was their response:
Thanks for the feedback! We’ll check it out… we appreciate all the positive press and friendly people that have writing in to tell about their city and why we should go there… we hope to make an announcement at the beginning of 2016. Cheers!

Gina

Heck, I’d love to work for em! ..but wouldn’t be commuting from Floyd to do it… Regarding Roanoke ..I’ve done a lot of roaming over the past couple years, looking for a new home. What some fail to take into account is how devastating this recent recession/ depression has been on all towns. Narrowly focused on what they’ve lost, they fail to realize most cities have experienced the same... The west coast is definitely recovering, as this region appears to be lagging. So, good deals to be had for new investors! ...if a bit longer wait for the locals..

I’m not in this area for no reason, and have been known to do my homework. ...and though I can address other questions in a more topic-related thread, I do know the home values in Floyd are going up. So bring it on Deschutes! And, Cheers

Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Default Responsibility

If potential new Companies are uncaring about a regions economic difficulties then maybe they should move to the Charlottes
and Raleighs. I think what attracted the people involved with the Deschutes2Rke media campaign to woo Deschutes here is
the community and whether they saw a relationship and a desire to blend with Roanoke. From what Ive read on Deschutes
their vision is different than a typical Company. We'll find out soon it seems.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:19 PM

125 posts, read 153,407 times
Yaah, most modern companies want to be known, or at least stand out as ‘different.’ But there’s a practicality involved with success, too… Existing infrastructure, an educated & motivated workforce, abundant water, ease of transportation and proximity to markets … as well as next to the #1 moonshine county in the nation - it adds up

Originating, and based in Oregon, Deschutes will always remain ..out there. A move to Roanoke would simply place them ‘out here,’ too. Finger’s crossed

Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 PM

I read some positive news from 2 weeks ago in that the brewery site in Asheville meant for Deschutes is still being marketed.
Apparently, the brewery fatigued town of Asheville is rather ambivalent about Deschutes. Roanoke will Flip if they came here.
My relative who lives in Asheville is hoping they pick Roanoke, they are sick of so many breweries!!

Old 03-07-2016, 02:17 PM

216 posts, read 421,962 times
Not sure how credible the 'sources' are (I'm skeptical), but if true, what a HUGE deal for our region. The Ballast Point thing came out of no where, but I would welcome with open arms! If both Deschutes and Ballast Point decide to open up shop here, it would put Roanoke Valley in the national craft beer spotlight!

Deschutes & Ballast Point to Roanoke, Plus Other Miscellaneous Musings on Malted Beverages | Virginia Craft Beer Magazine

Old 03-08-2016, 01:34 PM

[quote=RoanokeWahoo;43274147]Not sure how credible the 'sources' are (I'm skeptical), but if true, what a HUGE deal for our region. The Ballast Point thing came out of no where, but I would welcome with open arms! If both Deschutes and Ballast Point decide to open up shop here, it would put Roanoke Valley in the national craft beer spotlight!

[url=http://virginiacraftbeer.com/deschutes-ballast-point-to-roanoke-plus-other-miscellaneous-musings-on-malted-beverages/]Deschutes & Ballast Point to Roanoke, Plus Other

Something is coming to Greenfield in Botetourt County as pre construction surveying looks like a big project.
I asked some of the locals and they have heard rumors 500 jobs were on the way, just no word on the Top Secret
breweries. We really need a shot in the arm, not a big let down again![/i]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area