Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Roanoke this summer with my wife and new child, looking to purchase a home in the Roanoke area.

I've done a bit of reading on these threads and driving around the city to figure out where we'd be best suited.

Priorities:
1. Location/Proximity -- close to city/hospital/downtown
2. Schools -- Probably would go public schools if the school where we decide to live is highly rated vs private school from the start or starting at middle school age.
3. Neighborhood feel -- Would like to have neighbors, meet people, have a back yard, be able to walk to friends houses.

Neighborhoods:
1. South Roanoke -- probably fits our needs the best of any location. Elementary school seems like a great choice. Nice neighborhood feel. Close to everything. However, limited inventory for houses and the priciest area.
2. Grandin Village / Raleigh Court -- Some areas nicer than others, Grandin Village has a nice feel. Public schools seem middle of the road unless you live near Grandin Village but are in the Grandin Court / Elementary School district, basically only the area south and just north of Brandon Ave. Houses in general less expensive. Good second option.
3. Now for Old Southwest -- this is the area I'd really like to get some feedback on. It seems to be an area that many houses are getting renovated but is also mixed with multi-family housing, houses converted to business, etc. Living in this neighborhood, probably would do private schooling from the start based on school reviews, but what is it like living here? Is there a neighborhood / community feel? House pricing is very appealing and definitely the older estate-ly houses are up our alley as far as preference for style, but just not sure what to expect as far as vibes, safety, etc.

On a separate but related note, does anyone have experience with the private schools in Roanoke? Interested to hear perspectives on the various options as well as if there are any schools outside of Community school that offer private school without a religious affiliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 05:32 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strontium View Post
I'll be moving to Roanoke this summer with my wife and new child, looking to purchase a home in the Roanoke area.

I've done a bit of reading on these threads and driving around the city to figure out where we'd be best suited.

Priorities:
1. Location/Proximity -- close to city/hospital/downtown
2. Schools -- Probably would go public schools if the school where we decide to live is highly rated vs private school from the start or starting at middle school age.
3. Neighborhood feel -- Would like to have neighbors, meet people, have a back yard, be able to walk to friends houses.

Neighborhoods:
1. South Roanoke -- probably fits our needs the best of any location. Elementary school seems like a great choice. Nice neighborhood feel. Close to everything. However, limited inventory for houses and the priciest area.
2. Grandin Village / Raleigh Court -- Some areas nicer than others, Grandin Village has a nice feel. Public schools seem middle of the road unless you live near Grandin Village but are in the Grandin Court / Elementary School district, basically only the area south and just north of Brandon Ave. Houses in general less expensive. Good second option.
3. Now for Old Southwest -- this is the area I'd really like to get some feedback on. It seems to be an area that many houses are getting renovated but is also mixed with multi-family housing, houses converted to business, etc. Living in this neighborhood, probably would do private schooling from the start based on school reviews, but what is it like living here? Is there a neighborhood / community feel? House pricing is very appealing and definitely the older estate-ly houses are up our alley as far as preference for style, but just not sure what to expect as far as vibes, safety, etc.

On a separate but related note, does anyone have experience with the private schools in Roanoke? Interested to hear perspectives on the various options as well as if there are any schools outside of Community school that offer private school without a religious affiliation.

Good post. Recently sold our lot in the Boones Mill/Calloway area. Thought for many years we would build there for retirement.
You've got good regional amenities and Smith Mountain Lake! What's not to like!

Old 03-28-2019, 05:55 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,219,600 times
You have the option - for a fee - of enrolling your child in the City of Salem school system. The deadline for a "New Nonresident Student Application" is June 30th. The form says that the nonresident fee is $700 per student. I am sure you have to provide transportation.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
The community of owners in Old Southwest may be among the strongest in the city. Unlike the housing in the Grandin Village area, Old Southwest did a complete turnaround from being a whole lot of old houses that were carved up into room rental situations. It took a massive effort to do that! It is a very gay-friendly part of town so that may be a plus for those who value diverse community.

As far as the schools, I have heard a lot of good things about Highland Park ES. Parts of Old Southwest may be zoned to Hurt Park ES and that serves largely a very vulnerable population and so would not be seen as nearly as desirable as Highland Park. Just don't write off Highland Park! (I have some contacts who might be willing to chatter with you about HPES - and if you are interested just let me know and I will send you some contact info by direct message.)

As far as the Raleigh Court area, I get the impression that Grandin Court ES and Wasena ES are quite a bit stronger than Virginia Heights ES - but others may have more info on that!

As far as private schools, I think North Cross is one of the very highly regarded non-religious private schools. And don't rule out Roanoke Catholic - it is a very strong school - and although obviously "religious," I know they gladly welcome non-Catholic students and would likely be much less pushy about religion than some of the other Christian schools.

If you love Roanoke HALF as much as we do, you will be delighted with your move! Where are you moving from?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,830 times
I lived in Raleigh Court from 2002-2014 (and Salem -had moved from FLA- from 2001-2002; HATED IT) and had two kids attend Grandin Court Elem, and Woodrow Wilson Middle.

My 36 y/o daughter, her (NP at Carilion) hubby and soon-to-be-three (others are aged 5 and 3) kids are moving to a house on Windsor June 1st. I mentioned his profession to indicate they can well afford the county or parts of So Roanoke but chose Raleigh Court (are currently renting in the county) after seeing her younger sibs grow up there. She liked the county at first but likes the RC schools better too now that her eldest is ready for kinder in the fall.

The vibe in RC is pretty awesome; not as Stepford Wives as the county or Salem. I've lived in 5 states and that was the only time I had neighbors with such diverse incomes, on one street: I had a dog groomer/hubby drove a Pepsi delivery truck, a HS teacher, an anesthesiologist, a postman, a nurse, a career military, several retirees, a city prosecutor (next door), just in the houses surrounding mine.

It's a family oriented 'hood; most streets have sidewalks (county not so much; one reason my daughter is leaving. She wants sidewalks for kids to ride bikes), the demographic is mostly families though there are a few apartment houses on Grandin -really cool old buildings- that have more singles/hipsters. There are parks in walking distance (we lived just a block from Raleigh Court park), it's close to everything, it's safe. I adored it there.

Trick or treating is killer; hordes of kids! My daughter has been driving her two over to my old 'hood for this for years now.

The house my daughter is moving to is zoned for Wasena school. In 2009 the city eliminated bussing and rezoned everything so now the kids attend the school nearest them which makes for a nice experience. I have nothing negative to say about RC. I honestly can't think of anything!

Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I have nothing negative to say about RC. I honestly can't think of anything!
You don't sound vexed at all! (I love Raleigh Court too.)

Old 04-04-2019, 01:57 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
You don't sound vexed at all! (I love Raleigh Court too.)
LMAOO oh trust me. I am.

But RC is kinda Utopian for realz.

Always folks out walking, kids playing...my daughter says she doesn't get that feel in SW county.
I totally agree. It's just a great vibe for families. Mine played outside with friends all the time and when older walked to the park alone, then when even older, to Grandin village after school. No county 'hood offers that (places to walk to like Pop's and Grace's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area